1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Book Of Life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jack Lavictoire, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Jack Lavictoire

Jack Lavictoire New Member

Take a look at the following:

Revelation 22:19 NKJV
    and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Revelation 22:19 NIV
    And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

I'm not saying that the NIV isn't good because I know better... What I would like to know is, is it possible to have ones name removed from the book of life?

Let me add that I believe that once someone has been given eternal life that they will never perish. It's biblical so no one should disagree with that, but again, is it possible for someone to have his/her name blotted out from the book of life?

Please back up what you would like to share with scriptures. :thumbs:

Thank you...

2. gekko

gekko New Member

my dad was given eternal life.

now he believes Jesus was sent to decieve gentiles. and isnt even the son of God.

does he have eternal life now?

3. Jack Lavictoire

If your dad was truly given eternal life the scriptures say that he will never parish - so what do you think? If he was given eternal life God is going to have to deal with him because Jesus is very much alive and He is indeed the Son of God. Men lose faith but God is faithful... By the way, what the heck makes you believe that your dad was given anything? How would you know? Did God tell you? Ah I didn't think so...

Back at playing games with the word of God... Someone is gonna have to pay!

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

If the first part of your statment is true, which it is...a believer's eternal destiny is secure the moment they believe what does that tell you about the context of the book of life.

Contextually it can not have anything to do with eternal matters. Because as you said someone's name can be blotted out, which if it is dealing with eternity would mean that someone can lose their salvation, which isn't possible.

If you would like more information on the book of life PM and I send you some resource material.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is something for people who would have the actual knowledge about things, because I have seen versions that omit this phrase about removing one's name from the Book of Life, because the 'better texts' do not contain it.

It also seems to be directly contrary Jesus' statement that everyone His Father had given Him - from eternity - shall be saved and never go lost.

Jesus in any case is 'The Book of Life' into which every name of every elect is 'engraven', and from which shall never be 'erased'! The passage concerned is clear about that.

Therefore I agree the clause should be omitted.

6. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Hi Jack!

Good question:

Revelation 3
    5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Jack, looks to me at first glimpse this verse teaches that one can have their name blotted out. I do, however, believe Jesus was saying all who have overcome are eternally secure.

What do you think?

7. gekko

gekko New Member

you've also said, J.Jump, that you believe in "Once saved always saved, even if later on they dont believe"

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Aren't those the same statements?

I've looked, and I don't see a single text that omits "book of life" from this passage.

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I have stated that and continue to affirm that that is exactly what the Bible teaches. The Holy Spirit doesn't breath life into your dead spirit and then suck out the life when you stop believing and then breath back in when you do and then suck it out when you don't and then . . .

It's a one-time event. Either you have it or you don't.

10. gekko

gekko New Member

if you truly believe. if you have a genuine faith. you wont look back and not believe.

so yah. its a one time event.

11. gekko

gekko New Member

J.Jump. do you think that one can Believe. the live a sinful life. and when he dies. go to be with the Lord?

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Gekko what I believe makes no difference. It only matters what the Bible says and that is what the Bible says. Man's works whether good or bad have no impact on their eternal salvation.

That doesn't mean we should go out and live a sinful life, but there are many that will be overcome by the flesh, the world and/or Satan. That is just the sad reality of the matters.

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's not a guarantee according to Scripture. If it is please show me where it is, because I haven't found it yet.

14. gekko

gekko New Member

i wont post them. because i have already in many many other threads. and you shut them down thinking you know what they all mean.

im not going to post something that you're just going to shut down. thank you.
    ---

your views on salvation.

"its not a gaurantee..." etc.

you make it out like peoples lives and salvation is all guesswork.

if it is genuine faith. they will not fall away. for if it is genuine faith - and for some odd reason they do fall away - its almost impossible to get them to come back.

15. standingfirminChrist

Jesus told Martha, 'He that liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?'

He that liveth and believeth in Christ hath eternal life. Since eternal means without end, the true believer will not and cannot be blotted out of the book of life.

16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Typical. So Gekko what makes you think you have it right if I am wrong?

Now you have gone the way of others and making things up about me. I have NEVER ONCE said that eternal salvation is not a guarantee. I have said exactly the opposite. Eternal salvation IS GUARANTEED!!!

Are you kidding me. My view is the one view that keeps the eternal salvation message simple without placing all kinds of steps and stipulations on it.

Believe and you are saved that's it. What is difficult about that? Where is th guesswork in that? Either you believe and are saved or you don't and are unsaved. There's no guesswork there. Better come up with something better than that.

Again there is no Scripture evidence. Scripture does not differntiate between genuince faith and fake faith. That is a man-made tradition that has wrongly been passed down through the generations. God speaks in black and white. You either have faith or you don't. You don't have a fake faith or an ungenuine faith.

Now you are contradicting yourself. Now you are saying some can have faith and fall away.

Which is it? You can't have it both ways. Either you can have faith and fall away or you can't.

The Bible teaches that you can have faith and that you can stop believing, but it doesn't impact your eternal destiny, becuase your eternal destiny is not based on whether you continue to believe or not, but based on whether at any time you believed.

17. Jack Lavictoire

I'm not worried about it... I know who I am and where I'm going... As for the book of life, well I don't know anything about it... But if my name is their it will never be blotted out since I know that I have eternal life and I have the sciptures that tell me that those who have eternal life will never perish. In the end, I'll wait on God to show me what the book of life is.

Peace to the elect of God.

Salvation is a gift... Not by works!
    A gift - receive it and be made new.

Be Blessed! :thumbs:

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A brother here, Arminian in theology, gave me a link to study since I believe that God will not, ever, erase anybody's name written in that book. I did go to the site, and got the gist of what was being said.
    Essentially, the argument is that it is possible for one's name to be written on there, and then erased, since the concept of the Book of Life is similar to the genealogical records that Jews kept of the birth of each member of each tribe.
    Names are added as one is born into the tribe, and then erased depending on certain circumstances: conversion to another faith for example.
    But I find several things wrong with that.
    For one, the earthly, Jewish book of life, gets name written in it as one is born iinto the tribe. The book of Life of the Lamb, however, was written before the foundation of the world, and long before the owners of those names were even born.
    So, no, I don't think God erases anyone's name from the Book of Life.
    If Pilate, a sinner, can say, "What I have written, I have written", how much more the Sovereign Holy and Faithful God ?

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Mat 16:27For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

2Cr 11:15Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
    Rev 2:23And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works
    Rev 20:12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    Rev 20:13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

peace, :praise:

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Brother Bob amen on those verses! Judgment day is coming and some need to realize that and I need to be reminded of that as often as possible. And each one of us will be judged by Jesus Christ Himself! And we will be rewarded whether good or bad for the works done in this body.

However it doesn't have anything to do with eternity. Where you spend eternity is decided before you die. Judgment is after you die and is not in relation to eternity.

So your works have absolutely no impact on whether you are eternally saved or not.