1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Book of Mormon

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by charles_creech78, Sep 21, 2007.

1. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

What do you think about this? They say this is the true church of God and there is no other church. I had three of them come to my house today. They believe JOSEPH SMITH was a prophet of God who restablish the church of God and that JOHN THE BAPTIST CAME DOWN FROM HEAVEN and Baptisted him and then told him that he should baptist each other in a river. they believe the gospel as established by Jesus Christ was lost. This period is called the great Apostasy. This apostasy resulted in the formation of many churches with conflicting teachings and it says Joseph Smith was a prophet to retore the gospel and the priesthood to th earth. To me they are saying we are liers and are not of the church of God. What do you think?

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>To me they are saying we are liers

No, they are saying traditional Christians are wrong. Boggles my mind that some people can't tell the difference between lying and being wrong.

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're a cult. They've bought the lie pf the devil.

4. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Shut the door on them, just like JW's do not let them over your door step.

It is tempting to try and discuss and convert them.

It is basically the devil knocking on your door.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What kind of witness is that? Since they believe a false doctrine, we are exempt of sharing our faith with them?

I hear not to let them in our homes plenty, but I think the Scripture used to support that belief is taken out of context. JW's and Mormons need Christ just like any lost person. They are not off limits to us in regards to the Great Commission.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see where it would be biblical not to invite them into your home . However , they need the true Lord of the Bible ( 66 books ) . We have to witness to Mormons and JW's . They are trying their best to propagate their respective "faiths" -- we need to reach them as well as other lost people . I've had a lot of witnessing opportunities to witness to these groups in America , South Korea and even Japan . We should not just ignore them and think that should be the end of the matter . Do we have a heart for them as "sinners without hope in the world" ?

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey WD ! We are on the same page on this issue and the subject of the NLTse at least .

8. David Michael Harris

What does John say in regards to people who deny the divinity of Christ?

Me, I will take the Apostles instruction, you do as you will.

9. David Michael Harris

Make them a cup of tea why dont you and share in their evil work.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DMH : You are not very good at reading . Try my first sentence again .

You don't have to invite them into your home , I never did . But you can meet with them at an appointed time and place . They'll have their agenda , and you'll have yours . You do agree that they need to be told the biblical truth , right ?

11. David Michael Harris

I just been reading up on this...

Irenaeus states, 'Such was the horror which the Apostles and their disciples had against holding even a verbal communication with any corrupters of the truth'

That's the problem with todays Church it just does not listen to the Bible, we all think we know better.

Love Love Love.... Nonsense.

Scripture first. Obedience to the Scriptures. Keep your sentimentality.

Do not for one moment entertain these agents of the devil.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therefore Sandra Tanner and James White should just fold it up and leave those nasty Mormons in their false faith ? A lot of faithful men and women have witnessed to these kinds of lost men and women through the ages . These "testifiers of the truth" should be condemned for their witness of the Lord in your estimation?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since I don't have the book of John handy...why don't you tell me?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Must be a full moon :)

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What an ignorant statement.

First, in context, why don't you explain what "entertaining" and "inviting them into your home" entails from the time period the book was written.

I can't believe you would state sharing the Gospel with them is "sharing in their evil work".

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I have a couple of xJW's as members of my Church. They kept coming back so we kept sharing the word, I invited and they accepted and the rest was divine history.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's what I'm talkin' about :thumbs:

18. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every demonic cult must first and foremost discredit the Word of God so it may then indoctrinate the prey with lies. Once they have the victum convinced the Word of God is lost or corrupted they then can manipulate them with satan's lies. JW's , Islam , Mormons all fall into this category.

The very strange thing about the book of Mormon is that it blatantly proclaims it's heresy on the front cover before one even need open it up. It states "Another testament of Jesus Christ". Anyone with some biblical knowledge will see right off that the book is a lie for Paul declares.....

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ." (Gal 1:6-7)

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." (Gal 1:8-9)

Guess who gave Joseph Smith these lies according to Joe? An angel from heaven, moroni. Imagine that.

Sometimes I teach other religions in SS class to point out the errors and lies. I believe it is important to educate the flock about these false religions so we know what we are up against while witnessing to them. I own a book of Mormon and have it well highlighted exposing all of it's lies. The preface itself causes Joe Smith to fail miserably as a prophet when comparing his testamony with the Word of God's requirerments for a prophet. And then there is the "scripture", it is truly amazing that people actually are led astray by such ridiculus nonsense.

It truly astonishes me that someone as looney as Joseph Smith (just read his book sometime and see) could have found even one follower let alone thousands or even millions. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH ALL THESE PEOPLE!!! It's crazy.

God Bless! :thumbs:

19. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well of course "WE" all agree "THEY" are wrong.

But I suspect you want actual facts to go along with that.

1. The book of Mormon does not say what they are telling you. They have other books that they that stuff.

2. Samuel Spalding is the original author of the BOM before Joseph Smith got ahold of it - and so the BOM does not actually have the foundational kook teachings of the LDS in it.

3. Mormons do not believe in the "sola scriptura" idea of testing prophets -- they believe you should "go with what feels good" instead. By disconnecting from scripture accountability they create a Vacuum not unlike the RCC for then going on to "make stuff up".

in Christ,

Bob

20. Joe

Joe New Member

Edited later-Deleted post

#20 Joe, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2007