1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Book of Revelation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever wished for an illustrated Book of Revelation that simply depicts what is described without trying to interpret it?

I finally found one, at Wal-Mart of all places. A complete text with the art of Chris Koelle.

The Book of Revelation

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what that it was translated by a Catholic priest?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, after skimming over the reviews I ordered me one. Like Aaron says, it seems most everyone is impressed with the illustrations and finds them helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While this looks interesting, I was just wondering how useful this "graphic novel" of Revelation is. After all, there are many different interpretations of Revelation, and it's so full of symbolic language. Does this lean toward any particular interpretation (e.g. Dispensationalist, Preterist, Amillennialist, etc.)?

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well now that you gave an overview of the book I doubt any millennialists will pick up a copy and if they do it will just be to fuel the fire on here that has been burning for a long time... I also doubt if the Hollywood movie will be coming anytime soon, complete with game and action figures, at least not this version... Though I tend to hold the historical Preterist view and have waded through all the camps to get here, I hope you brethren enjoy your books... I don't plan to buy it but to show you brethren I'm not a killjoy... Here's a link... Brother Glen:)

chris koelle revelation - Google Search

#8 tyndale1946, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I feel like the guy who's given away the ending of a movie :). Thanks for the link.

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are entirely welcome... Kentucky and I have been on the board a long time and I just wanted to show you all the art you will be getting... Hey I can't help it, you brethren tempted me, like I needed any help:Whistling... SPOILER!!... GUILTY!!!... Brother Glen:Sneaky

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I feel like the guy who's given away the ending of a movie :). Thanks for the link.
    As Oscar Wilde said in "Lady Windermere's Fan", "I can resist anything but temptation". Just discovered this site this morning (slow day at work), and I couldn't resist it.

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kentucky and I have be ribbing each other ever since I've been here... I just got his dander up cause he didn't think of it first... Brother Glen:Biggrin

Btw Kentucky... Still reading Josephus!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm Amillennial, and interpret it as Progressive Parallelism. Symbolically, it's the Revelation of Christ, or, the History of the Church from its foundation, its suffering and persecution to its ultimate victory. The Seven Seals, the Seven Bowls, and the Seven Trumpets are parallel prophecies from different views and with different areas of focus, like the Gospels.

But, I know the Preterist view, and I didn't come away with this book favoring any particular view. Here is a response to the review cited by kyredneck.

Austin,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I am the adapter and art director of the book and I do want to say that the "Preterist interpretation" was not part of our thought process in giving a narrative to this Scripture. From the outset we chose to personalize the story by focusing on John's point-of-view. We attempted to get behind his eyes and see the world as he would have seen it in 95 AD. Revelation is the only narrative book in the NT that is told strictly from the first person, and the Apostle John as the teller would have carried the emotional woundings of the murders of his brethren Peter and Paul, as well as the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, all of which could be linked back to the Roman emperor. At the time he wrote it there was a new wave of persecutions going on, and John himself had been exiled to a prison camp in the Aegean. So we felt the adaptation would have greater emotional relevance if it revolved around John and his life experience at the time.

Revelation has many different ways to interpret it, and we settled on the personal because we want readers to "feel" the vision as though they were standing in John's sandals. Again, thanks for your comments, and for the opportunity to provide some insights from our perspective.​

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, I totally missed that. Glad you caught it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    18 But they cried out all together, saying, Away with this man, and release unto us Barabbas: --
    19 one who for a certain insurrection made in the city, and for murder, was cast into prison.
    25 And he released him that for insurrection and murder had been cast into prison, whom they asked for; but Jesus he delivered up to their will. Lu 23

….consider these passages as you read the eyewitness account from Josephus concerning the horrible calamities (insurrection and murder) of the civil war that fell upon the Jews.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got the book in last week and the wife immediately snatched it and took it to work for the lunch sessions with her friends. It is a cool book.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is so heartbreaking Kentucky:(... What kinda wife would do that?... But she didn't take off on the Yamaha Rhino 700 did she?:eek:... Just checking... Brother Glen;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's already spoiled! There's a commentary on Revelation with the title The Lamb Wins. How's that for a spoiler?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, funny, I put the snow plow on before Christmas saying "it'll probably not snow now that I've put the plow on"' and, it hasn't snowed yet! Mid January and no snow!

Now it'll probably snow like 4' deep....

• Funny Funny x 1