1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Call of God (according to Arminians)

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Jan 3, 2018.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before the thread begins, I would like for any and all Arminians to affirm the below statement (if they want to) which I copied from the blog post of a "Classical Arminian" (10 Things I Wish Everyone Knew About Arminianism)

We can't debate unless we have a common understanding of what we are debating, so I am proposing that this brief text be something we can agree will be what we are debating.

I am intentionally looking to something written by an adherent rather than Arminius himself because I'm interested in how these ideas are played out in reality, not the ivory tower version.

Classical Arminians believe that the universal, convicting (but resistible) ministry of the Holy Spirit creates the space necessary for the genuinely free human response to the gospel in the form of love to God. The Spirit’s universal (and unilateral) ministry of conviction has the purpose of creating a space within which human beings can respond, in genuine freedom, to the call of God.​

If you can affirm the above statement, please do so, OR DON'T PARTICIPATE IN THIS THREAD. (not yelling, just making the point clear)

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your constant insatiable need to discuss and debate your perceived definitions of Armininan positions along with your admission that you were once in the Arminian camp, suggests to me that you have an ongoing inner conflict with your conversion to Calvinism. You just aren't 100% sure of your Reformed beliefs. Therefore, you seek validation of your Calvinism by creating strawman arguments that you can defeat and tame the inner questions and uncertainty in your own mind. This resolves the theological dissonance you struggle with, at least for several hours. Then you feel the need to bring up yet another thread attacking Arminianism so you can have the satisfaction of rebutting it in your own mind and quell the conflicts you are feeling. Sad, really.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Even Calvinists will admit that the John 6 DRAWING of God enables all the choice that depravity disables. So also do Arminians admit this.

God says in John 12:32 that he draws "ALL MANKIND" unto Him -- thus ENABLING the John 6 choice for "all mankind".

Then we have "HE came to HIS OWN and His OWN received Him not" John 1:11

And we have "behold I STAND at the door and knock" Rev 3 rather than "I blast down the door and enter" as Calvinism proposes.

At that point - four and five point Calvinism fails to survive the Bible details.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that verse has nothing to do with salvation.

At this point - your post fails to survive the Bible details.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only for those who have imagined for themselves a "Christless Gospel" where Christ is on the outside and they imagine some case where the saved person does not have "Christ in you the hope of Glory" and they do not have it said of themselves "no longer I who live but Christ that lives in me" Gal 2:20 details of the ONE Gospel Gal 1:6-9 that was "preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context is your friend. He is address the church at Laodicea which was luke warm and trusting in their worldly possessions to get them through difficult times.

This has nothing to do with the gospel so all of your personal attacks about a "Christless Gospel" are baseless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the psychoanalysis, Doctor.

If you scroll up to the top of the page you will see that you are in the "Calvinism & Arminianism Debate" subform, so that's what the rest of us are here for.

Now, would you care to engage the OP, or is it just the usual troublemaking and name-calling you're here for?

8. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes!!! Why can't people see that?! It's right there in the text!!!

The problem is, they've heard it misused so many times, they assume it's Jesus being Billy Graham.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome. Nailed it, didn't I?

Thanks for the tip, Mr. Moderator.

No, that's your role with your Uncle Billy and constant Ar Mininan threads.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your theology is of a false prophetess, so why would you have the real Gospel then to fall back upon here?

11. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Essentially, Arminians see God as the sad, homely fat girl who sits at home on Saturday night with her pint of ice cream and her DVD of "Kate and Leopold", hoping this might be the night that the handsome quarterback calls her.

12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Rev 3:20-21 is understood in context, it's a beautiful passage of the promise of fellowship with Christ. We dine with family, close friends, and honored guests. There is an intimacy to it.

However, when these decisionists rip it out of context and distort its meaning, it makes Jesus as pitiful as you have described.