1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Called

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Forest, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is one verse and has to be factored in with the rest of the Bible. Building a doctrine on one verse is dangerous and can lead to serious mistakes. Also these are not the words of Christ and thus they must fit within his teachings and I do not believe Christ ever used the word predestined in the sense you are using that word. Remember John 3:16-17:

There is nothing here about either predestination nor election. Notice it says 'the world', not the elect nor the predestined. These verses are the gospel in a nutshell.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not according to scripture.

Mt. 22:14 "For many are called, but few are chosen." The chosen are the called out from the called.

3. Forest

Forest New Member

God has given man freedom to make his own choices, but man is influenced either by the flesh or by the Spirit. The natural man, void of the Spirit, will not seek to serve a spiritual God because the natural man cannot descern anything that is of a spiritual nature, 1 Cor 2:14.

4. Forest

Forest New Member

The natural man will not, and indeed, cannot accept anything that is pf a spiritual nature like werving a spiritual God, 1 Cor 2:14.

5. Forest

Forest New Member

God only calls his elect because all that he does call are predestinated, justified and gloryfied, Rom 8:30.

6. Forest

Forest New Member

God only calls his elect. The natural man will not, and indeed cannot accept anything that is of a spiritual nature, 1 Cor 2:14.

7. Forest

Forest New Member

We are not in this world to eternally save souls. Preachers responsability is not to eternally save souls, but only to feed God's sheep. No one can eternally save souls, that is God's work of grace and he saved all of his elect on the cross, John 6:37-41. Christ died only for those that God gave him and he will not lose any of them, no, not one.

8. Forest

Forest New Member

Matt 7:13-14, All of those that go in both gates are God's elect children. The ones that go in the wide gate are those of his elect that are trusting in their good works for eternal salvation. All those that go in the strait are those that the Holy Spirit has revealed the truth to. The wide gate are the "many", and the strait gate are the "few".

9. Forest

Forest New Member

Can you explain Rom 8:30 in relation to the called?

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Heh heh, catamount? I think you meant tantamount. Strange thing, though, I actually knew what you were trying to say.

Web, your comment raises a good question and deserves an answer. Let me take a crack at it.

The first objection I see here is that if God intended to save only some of the human race, God can't sincerely call on all men to come to Christ. Here we must appeal to the foreknowledge of God. God certainly foreknew that all men would not believe the gospel. And God certainly does not intend to save those who reject it. So, therefore, God intended to save only a part of the human race--believers. And He has made full provision through the atonement for them.

Let me quote a portion of the New Hampshire Confession of Faith:
    It is the refusal of the offer of salvation which condemns, not the lack of provision. What would be the point of making atonement for the others?

When Jesus said in Matthew 11 "Come ye, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest..." no one would argue that his call was not sincere. No one would argue that all would come, butall would agree that Jesus would give rest to all who did come. Therefore his offer was sincere to all, even though he knew that all would not come.

This is getting way too long, so I'll stop here and catch my breath.

11. Forest

Forest New Member

God secured his elect to eternal life by the work of Christ on the cross, and sense that time forward, God looks upon his elect as Holy and without blame. He says their sins are as far from him as the east is from the west and He remembers their sins no more, as far as eternal salvation is concerned. Even though after God quickens his elect to a spiritual life, they still carry the burden of their fleshly nature, Paul explains this in his explination of the warfare going on inside of us, the flesh against the Spirit. The natural man only has one nature and that is the nature of the flesh.

12. Forest

Forest New Member

In Acts 16:14, Lydia was already a called child of God because she worshipped God before he opened her heart. A natural person will not, and indeed, cannot worship a spiritual God because they cannot descern spiritual things, 1 Cor 2:14. God only has one kind of a call, and it is effectual.

13. Forest

Forest New Member

When God calls, he calls his elect and not all of the elect will come. The incident where he called them to a wedding and one came without the wedding garment on ( the wedding garment being the righeousness of Christ). The one that did not have on the right garment was trusting in his own righteous works. Matt 7:13-14 explains this with the two gates and paths. Both gates are the elect of God, the wide gate are those who are trusting in their own good works for eternal salvation and the strait gate are those that the Holy Spirit has revealed the truth to.

14. Forest

Forest New Member

Isa 45:22, is not talking about eternal salvation but a timely deliverance.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Lydia worshipped God, but the fact that she submitted to baptism tells us that she became a believer in the Lord Jesus. Paul would not have permitted her and her household to be baptized if that were not the case.

16. Forest

Forest New Member

These are all invitations to his elect. The rest in Matt 11:28-30 is not eternal rest, but a rest that we can enjoy here in this life. Most salvation scriptures are timely deliverances and not eternal salvations.

17. Forest

Forest New Member

According to Thayer's Greek translation of the word "world" in the following scriptures means, used of believers only, John 1:29, 3:16, 3:17, 6:33, 12:47, 1 Cor 4:9, 2 Cor 5:19. not all mankind.

18. Forest

Forest New Member

God calls all of his elect and chooses only a few to reveal the truth to. Matt 7:13-14 explains this by the two gates. Those going in the wide gate are God's elect that are trusting in their good works for eternal salvation, and those going in the strait gate are the few that the Holy Spirit has revealed the truth to, which is his visiable church.

19. Forest

Forest New Member

God did look down on the children of men to see if there were any that seek after him and he saw that they were all filthy, and none did anything good, no, not one. Thats what God's foreknowledge revealed to him and what he had to choose from for his elect. Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden , take up your cross and learn of me, and I will give you rest. The rest that Jesus will give you is not eternal rest, but a rest that his children can enjoy here in this world. Those that labour and are heavy laden are those that are burdened with trying to trust in their own good works for eternal salvation. That would really be a burden on me if I had to depend upon my good works.

20. Forest

Forest New Member

That still does not take away from the fact that she was already a born again child of God. She was not as the natural man is.