1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Calvinist Way Of "Interpreting" The Bible

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Nov 4, 2005.

1. timothy27

timothy27 New Member

Mike if you read the entire post, I was making a response to the OP, I am willing to admit that both sides do their fair share of "Baby whining" but you have just proved my point, I have found that the Arminiasts here fail to read the entire post and pick certain areas to focus on, example in case your argument against Larry about word order in Acts, you said he "contradicts" because of what one of his posts said yet you failed to read the entire post and see that he did not.

I am not arguing that Calvinists are better than anyone else, we have our fair share of cut and paste posters on this board, but most of the Calvinist believers I have read on this site have not reverted to obvoiusly blatant misrepresentaions and name calling. If you would have read the entire post you would have seen me say this to Timtoolman about 3 or 4 posts previous.

And by the way I do know what I am talking about, I grew up believeing the things Arminiasts believe and used to defend them heartily, went to many Baptist free-will preaching churches, and they all boil down to one thing, a man-centered gospel.

2. timothy27

timothy27 New Member

So Ray if you believe that what God desires happens then why are all people not saved? How can Revelations be the future if the 1 Tim. verses are true? (Let's watch as the so-called Calvinist, shake and dodge tactic unfolds here from the other side.)

If you have kids, have you ever punished them? Was your desire to inflict pain on them? I hope not, yet you still willed the spanking grounding etc.

3. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Timothy27;
    Then you should say what you're talking about in the post.
    Then you haven't read every post.

You also misinterpreted what Larry and I was even talking about. If you had read the same verse in the Greek new testament you would have seen that it was arranged just as I said.
    Look at it real close tell me what you see.
    In The Light Of Christ;
    Mike

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Mike,

As you have been repeatedly told, no one is arguing the order of the words in the verse. The point is the grammar of the verse, the verb tenses or aspects as they are sometimes called. On that, you clearly are wrong. Sorry.

You need to learn at leasta little Greek, or listen to those who have.

5. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Perhaps one of the best sources:

http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Attributes/attributes.htm

1. The Solitariness of God
    2. The Decrees of God
    3. The Knowledge of God
    4. The Foreknowledge of God
    5. The Supremacy of God
    6. The Sovereignty of God
    7. The Immutability of God
    8. The Holiness of God
    9. The Power of God
    10. The Faithfulness of God
    11. The Goodness of God
    12. The Patience of God
    13. The Grace of God
    14. The Mercy of God
    15. The Love of God
    16. The Wrath of God
    17. The Contemplation of God

I think Author Pink gives a fair representation of a lot of our views.....

6. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

AMEN, GREAT POST, Tom Mann! Blessings!!

7. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Qwerty, I would highly recommend John Feinberg's "No One Like Him" on the subject of theology proper from a Calvinistic perspective (although I doubt Arminians would disagree with his treatment of God's attributes, however, the section on God's providence is another story).

BJ

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Tom Mann,

Does Dr. A.W. Pink have anything to say about the Attribute of the Lord's Justice?

9. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Oops, you've jumped the track already. This statement is not true, which renders the rest of your post irrelevant. </font>[/QUOTE]A prime example of the verbal gymnastics in which Calvinists indulge.

Mark Osgatharp

10. TomMann

TomMann New Member

11. whatever

whatever New Member

Oops, you've jumped the track already. This statement is not true, which renders the rest of your post irrelevant. </font>[/QUOTE]A prime example of the verbal gymnastics in which Calvinists indulge.

Mark Osgatharp
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't suppose you would care to elaborate? God releases the will from bondage to sin so that the will follows after Him. How can the will play no part in that? There's no verbal gymnastics going on here.