1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Calvinistic system introduces the most disingenuous invitation known to man

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 18, 2010.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Noah had the choice to do good or evil. He chose to do good. But was it "good" enough to get to heaven? Never. No man can do good enough to get to heaven because even one sin is enough to make us deserve hell. Man still has the capacity to do "good" although he has a sinful nature. God didn't make Noah do good - Noah chose that himself. Even the most evil person in the world can choose to do some good but what good is that? Is it an ability to save oneself? No.

See, you're making an argument against hyperCalvinism which we are not standing for. If you argue against what we believe then we can discuss it but God doesn't make anyone do anything (locking the door) - it's still their free choice. But it's the nature that will drive them to do what they will do. A sinful nature will drive one to sin and to never seek God. A nature that is quickened to God to be able to respond to Him will. Period.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

So, Noah, in your view was "good" by his own choice? Or did God effectually cause him to be good? In other words, why was Noah deemed "good" and a man of "integrity" by God while the others were not? Was it God's doing or man's?

Apparently, he was "good" enough in the sight of God to save him from the flood...and my question is whether that "goodness" was a result of God's effectual work or not.

I think what you consider "hyper Calvinism" is not necessarily "hyper." Read my post that addressed this earlier. There are many Calvinists even on this board who I think would disagree with what you have argued.

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You know that both sides feel that the other is "scripturally disingenuous." In fact many on both sides feel that if someone is strongly on the other side, they probably aren't Christians at all. These feelings are usually not allowed, so they come out in other ways.

Regardless of the cherry-picked verses the Calvinist uses, it goes against the nature of God to believe in Calvinism, not to mention the invitation to God that Jesus Christ gave during His earthly ministry. I believe many take this position because it makes them feel like they are agreeing with many well known, highly educated preachers of the past, like Spurgeon or Edwards. After all, these men could not possibly be wrong, could they?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes scripture disagrees with that statement.

5. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure you know that Arminians cherry-pick verses. Now, I could post an opposite, mimicking post, but, brother, you deserve better treatment than that.

Suffice it to say that you are selling us Calvinists short by discounting our Biblical scholarship, or even the ability thereof.

For me, I disagree with many Calvinists on some things:
    Calvin was hopelessly wrong on baptism

Edwards was wrong on baptism as well.

Piper, I think, gets double predestination wrong (though my view on that may be changing)

MacArthur gets end-times stuff wrong.

Presbyterians, in general, are way off when it comes to church polity.
    So, I am not a Calvinist because of "Calvinist Heroes," but because of the Scripture. To suggest otherwise, my friend, sells us short.

Blessings,

The Archangel

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Obviously, I don't believe so. Of course, I prefer an evangelistic church, not one that sits on it's hands and only discusses theology. This is the natural result of Calvinism.

7. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert,

This, again, is quite the unfair statement. The most evangelistic churches I know are Calvinist churches. Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington, DC (Mark Dever is the pastor and a 5-Pointer) gives, literally, millions of dollars to missions.

The church I pastor has increased its Cooperative Program giving (we are an SBC Church) from the mid-hundreds of dollars to the area of three thousand dollars. (Considering we have less than 50 members, that's a huge increase).

This year we are going to launch into an evangelism program...our motto will be: Every believer a disciple, every disciple an evangelist.

Furthermore, William Carey--the founder of the modern missionary movement--and his supporters were 5-Point Calvinists.

I think you are reacting against the caricature of Calvinism rather than the reality of Calvinism.

Blessings,

The Archangel

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

This statement shows how little you know much less understand about Calvinism or Reformed theology.
    While I don't subscribe to it, I at least know what it actaully teaches so I can engage the issues I disagree with. This ad-hom attack does nothing but sow discord amoung the brethren.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Perhaps you are correct and I don't know that much about Calvinistic churches. There is a lot of differences evidently in what they believe. I was told that many Calvinistic churches like the Primitive Baptist do not believe in missions.

If I am wrong, I apologize. I was under the impression that most reformed churches don't encourage missions.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, there are about as many variaties of Calvinists as there are baptists.
    There is a specific distinction to be understood here in general regarding the mainline view.

There are basically 2 distinct views within Calvinism that are said to be of the same views but in reality are polar opposites. One is what is typically called Calvinism and another is called Hyper-Calvinism (which Calvinists and Non-Calvinists alike disagree with). The two variations are NOT the same thing as some on our side ignorantly claim.

For instance, mainline Calvinism/Reformed theology is very evangelistic or at least strive to be. Whereas Hyper-Calvinism or "H-C" is against evangelism.

Calvinism believes man must believe in order to be eternally saved, where H-C believes you are born saved and regardless of what you do in this life or even if you never believe, you are still eternally saved.

Here is a thread I did a while back to help those of our view understand the differences of Calvinism and Hyper-Calvinism. Another quick note, just because someone holds to 1 or 2 'aspects' of an H-C does not necessarily make them a H-C, but shows they have some views which are ranging toward H-C tendencies need to watched carefully.

Here is brief listing of some H-C views from a Primer on Hyper-Calvinism by Phil Johnson at Spurgeon.com, which are discussed more indepth on my thread. Below is his preface to his article.
    This listing shows -
    A hyper-Calvinist is someone who either:
    1. Denies that the gospel call applies to all who hear, OR
    2. Denies that faith is the duty of every sinner, OR
    3. Denies that the gospel makes any "offer" of Christ, salvation, or mercy to the non-elect (or denies that the offer of divine mercy is free and universal), OR
    4. Denies that there is such a thing as "common grace," OR
    5. Denies that God has any sort of love for the non-elect.

It also has in it Here is an additional listing set forth by Mongerism.com on hyper-calvinism which is more indepth but both groups affirm the other's list and both have said their listing are one the same things, just one is more indepth and the concise. In both list what they present is what most Calvinists reject as deplorable the following hyper-Calvinistic and destructive beliefs:

P.S. primitive Baptists do not consider 'themselves' Calvinists. They state they hold to the doctrines of grace however their view of it is dramitcally different thath the reformed position. However if they did consider themselves calvinistic they would be more properly deemed H-Cals.

#50 Allan, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Which doesn't change the fact that it's true.
    I think the majority here prefer the same. However, to claim that Calvinistic churches categorically "sit on thier hands and only discusses theology" is flat out wrong.
    Whoever told you that is dead wrong. I've never known a Reformed church that WASN'T actively involved in missions.

#51 Johnv, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm - I never got that memo from the board. Jesus told us to go preaching the Gospel and making disciples. All Calvinists that I know do such. God uses men and women who obey Him to bring "whosoever" to the Lord. I've never heard otherwise. I'll check back with the Boss and let you know if that memo got lost.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church stands more on the reformed side (atleast all the pastors do although it's not written in our statement of beliefs) and we've sent out many missionaries. We raise missionaries from within our own walls to send - no board involved. We're also in the process of planting a new church about 40 minutes away from our current church in another township where only 3% of all of the residents go to a Bible teaching church. Our goal is to preach the Gospel and make disciples.

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me start by asking if keeping the Law is a genuine offer of salvation? The "rich young ruler" asked Jesus how to have eternal life. Jesus told him to keep the commandments (Matt. 19:16-17) Did Jesus give this man a genuine offer of salvation, even though He knew the man could not keep the commandments? I believe it was a genuine offer. If he could keep the commandments, he would have gone into heaven.

In the same way, the offer of gospel salvation is a genuine offer to all men, even though only the elect will respond when enabled by Holy Spirit.

As I stated earlier, the gospel has a two-fold purpose. It brings salvation to the elect and it brings condemnation to those who reject (non-elect). I base this belief upon 2 Cor. 2:14-16 and other passages.

(14) "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifest through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge Him in every place. (15) For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; (16) to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things?"

Paul is alluding to a Roman "triumph", where the conquering general brings his captives through the city and eventually crucifies them. They are going to their deaths. As they go through the city, people throw flowers upon the road. As the troops march through the flowers, the aroma fills the air.

God is allowing Christians to suffer persecution, even to the death. As they go to their deaths, they proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel is a fragrant aroma with two outcomes. To one group (the elect) it leads to life. To the other group (the non-elect) it leads to further condemnation and death.

The gospel is a genuine offer to all who hear it, even though only the elect will respond when so enabled by Holy Spirit. Therefore, the atonement of Jesus Christ is limited to those who accept the gospel.

Otherwise, you have God punishing people twice for their sins. First, Christ accepted the punishment for all the sin of all men and then God punished everyone who didn't accept the gospel anyway.

The only way for the atonement to be unlimited/universal is for all people to be saved, IMHO.

That, of course, is the continuing argument.

BTW, I appreciate your civil discourse on this issue.

peace to you:praying:

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, no one can be saved by keeping the law. The law was our schoolmaster to give us an understanding of what sin is, and to bring us to Christ.

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

You can only be saved by faith in Christ.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus said no man comes unto the Father except through him, but Calvinism teaches the opposite. Calvinism teaches that the Father elected who would be saved outside of Christ and then regenerated them, and that only after regeneration were they able to come to the Son. This is unscriptural.

#55 Winman, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Jesus lie to the young man? He asked Jesus how to get eternal life. Jesus told him to keep the commandments. Did Jesus lie to him?
    That doesn't change the fact Jesus told the man to keep the commandments if he wanted eternal life.
    Then why did Jesus tell the man to keep the commandments if he wanted eternal life?
    For Calvinism to teach the "opposite", it would have to teach that coming to Jesus is not necessary for salvation.

Now, there may be hyper-calvinists that believe faith in Jesus Christ is not necessary, (just like some people believe God only holds you accountable for the "light you have"... so to them, Jesus isn't necessary either.. right?), but that is not what most with reformed views hold to.
    That is untrue. Reformed theology teaches the elect are predestined in Christ, not outside of Christ.
    We'll just have to disagree.

peace to you:praying:

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes it is a genuine offer, anything otherwise is deceitful and lie.
    The fact is, if ANYONE keeps the whole law he will be declared by God to be saved. It goes for anyone and everyone because it is FOR all people and is the reason all are judged becuase it.

No you miss the entire argument. The gospel offer can not be genuine if God has not provided the means for them to be saved through it. Making an offer to save people when in fact God has no desire to save them nor has he made any provision for them makes the very offer itself a lie from the mouth of God, IF in fact the above is true.

The fact is this, if the offer of the salvation gospel is indeed toward or for all men then by virture to whom it is offered, provision has to have been made for that group. It is the provision which validates the offer making it not a lie to whom it is extended. It is the provision which is the good news message and that message is to all.

Again, this is not possible. Upon what basis is gospel offer based? If it is based upon the atonement and you believe that atonement is limited only to some, then your view necessitates God is lieing. The offer is based upon the atonement and if the atonement is limited the offer can not be extended to all and be true.

This is not an accurate understanding of atonement, IMO. God isn't punishing anyone twice for their sin

The atonement is not applied to anyone till faith has been excercised (Rom 3:25). The fact Christ offered to the Father an acceptable sacrifice for 'the remission of sin' does not necessitate all people for whom it was made has now had their sins removed, unless one believes we are born eternally saved.

Then penalty for 'sin' has been paid, and it must be received/applied by faith or else their sin remains and thus penalty remains to be paid. This is true even for a person pre-faith. They are not yet children of God but the fact that the atonement has been made for them does 'nothing' toward them as of yet - at least till after they have believed and THEN it is applied and there is therefore NOW no condemnation...

I understand your view.
    Yes, it somewhat refreshing to find some anymore. :)

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth."
    Rom. 10:4

Had this man truly kept the law, it would have brought him to Christ.

19. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

We would both agree that a newborn baby is beautiful and our hearts melt when we see him/her. How would you feel if you were standing before God and He said, "You have many sins that you are guilty for and I am going to punish them." "I am either going to lay your sin on the new born and innocent baby or you can pay for them yourself." How would you feel? With this in mind what if the guilty aren't given the call in a way they cannot understand? Do they deserve to understand? is it not fair to leave them in confusion? I know we both agree that God isn't obligated to save any, but has chosen to save many. I think in light of Who is being punished for our sins our hearts should crumble and desire to be crushed in our iniquity even more so than a newborn baby.

furthermore, God did speak in peoples languages and they did hear Him and most of them didn't understand. This isn't because God wasn't able to communicate better, or wasn't able to cause them to all understand everything equally, but God chose to leave them in their blindness that was darkened by sin. Is this wrong and unfair, of course not. God didn't make them confused or cause them to sin.

In my opinion there is no case in blaming God for not helping all people see the Savior. I could care less if the invitation is fair or not, even if that leaves me out. If I was on my death bed and never heard the Gospel and a Chinese preacher came and spoke the Gospel in a different language to me and I died in my sins I am still without excuse and couldn't stand before God and say, "well, I never had a genuine invitation for the innocent and beautiful Savior to die in my place for my sins!"

:smilewinkgrin: that is my response

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, it is exactly the opposite. Calvinism teaches that a man comes to Jesus the Son through the Father. They teach that a man cannot possibly come to Christ unless the Father elects and then regenerates a man.

But Jesus taught that it is impossible for any man to come to the Father except through him.

Your doctrine is exactly the opposite of what the scriptures teach. It is amazing, I have noticed this over and over again. I only point it out for your benefit if you will see it.