1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Canons Of Dort Re.P.R

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Second Head,Rejection of Errors,Paragraph 6

Of The Death Of Christ

Who use the difference between meriting and applying,to the end that they may instill into the minds of the imprudent and inexperienced this teaching,that God,as far as he is concerned,has been minded of conferring to all equally the benefits gained by the death of Christ;but that,while some obtain the pardon of sin and eternal life,and others do not,this difference depends on their own free will,which joins itself to the grace that is offered without exception,and that it is not dependent on the singular gift of mercy,efficaciously operating in them so that they rather than others apply to themselves that grace.For these,while they feign that they present this distinction in a sound sense,seek to instill into the people the destructive poison of the Pelagian errors.

The above counters Amyraut's contention that Christ merited pardon for all people on condition of faith,but then only gives or applies the merits to some.

For those lurking;Moises Amyraut (1596-1664) was only in his early 20's when the Synod of Dort was in session.He didn't publish anything of note until 1634 -- 15 years after Dort.Nevertheless,the Canons can't be appealed to as a Reformed source which could possibly support Amyraldianism.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Second Head,Rejection Of Errors,Paragraph 3

Of The Death Of Christ

Who teach:That Christ by his satisfaction certainly merited neither salvation itself for anyone,nor faith,whereby this satisfaction of Christ is effectually appropriated [an act of God -- not of the believer --Rip];but that he merited for the Father only the authority or the perfect will to deal again with man,and to prescribe new conditions as he might desire,fulfillment to which,however,depended on the free will of man,so that it therefore might have come to pass that either none or all should fulfill these conditions.For these adjudge too comtemptuously of the death of Christ,do in no wise acknowledge the most important fruit or benefit thereby gained,and bring again out of hell the Pelagian error.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have said,I have the full accounting of the events and the Canons of Dort in Homer Hoeksema's book :The Voice Of Our Fathers.

Hoeksema occasionally gives the opinions of the various delegations at the Synod.These are not part of the Canons as such.Here is an opinion of the delegates from South Holland :

That God,as He from eternity decided,unto the praise of the glory of His grace to save not all men,but some definite men,elected out of the human race,thus also at once decided that the satisfaction and merit of the obedience and death of Christ,which in itself indeed would be sufficient to save all and every man,should be a definite and ordained and proper means through which would be blotted out the sins of those who were given Him of the Father,and whereby powerfully and infallibly those who were elect would be brought unto eternal life as to the end absolutely intended of God.(Is.53:11;John 10:15;Matt.1:21;Ro.8:32;John17:6,19,24;John10:28) page 342

The theologians of Hesse :... nevertheless in no sense by the same (death of Christ) is salvation,reconciliation,forgiveness of sins,and eternal life actually obtained or merited...but Christ by His suffering and death has obtained and merited all these benefits for His sheep alone,or for the elect which the Father gave Him to save and to make eternally blessed,and these benefits really pertain to them and not the others.(page 343)

4. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hey Rippon,

You don't have to post more on this. You think it's insignificant that the canons mention "effectually" and what not, while I think it is plain that such language limits what the canons are talking about. Sure, some delegates were not hypothetical universalists, but some were and the canons were worded in such a way that they do not pronounce on this issue in order to appease both sides who were united in rejecting the Arminians. Notwithstanding this, your quotes, though, do not demonstrate an opposition to hypothetical universalism. For example, "eternal life actually obtained or merited" (hypothetical uinversalists would agree with this), or rejecting that Christ's death did not merit salvation for anyone (hypothetical universalists would agree with rejecting this too because they were not Arminians). You describe Amyraut as basically an Arminian, which in that case the canons would reject his position. I don't think his position is Arminian though.

Perhaps you have something else in mind than I do regarding what is meant by the phrase "hypothetical universalism." Amyraut had a speculative form of it, but non-speculative forms of it predate Amyraut and extend back to the first generation Reformers like Musculus, Vermigli, etc. Nonetheless, Turretin agreed that even Amyraut's version did not go against Dort. You can disagree with him, but surely you would agree that he knew what the canons did and did not pronounce on.

You're repeating yourself, and my response would be more of the same. Having a pactum salutis, election, etc., does not in and of itself pronounce on the extent of the atonement.

BJ

#24 Brandon C. Jones, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you're reading into the word "effectually" too much with 21st century eyes.

Aside from John Davenant did any other members of the Synod hold to hypothetical universalism?"Some were and some were not."?You make it sound like perfectly acceptable theology.BTW,do you agree with hypothetical universalism?If even a sizable minority of the delegates subscribed to those teachings the Canons would not have looked anything like they do.

You almost make it sound like this is a lesser issue like the difference between infralapsarianism and supralapsarianism.It's not.It's more serious.

I'm sorry that the quotes weren't enough to sway you from your views.BTW,you are a 3-pointer still,aren't you?

Christ's sacrifice merited "all these benefits for His sheep alone."I don't see how a HU would feel comfortable with that.

You're right.Amyraldianism is basically Arminianism wrapped in a different outfit.The "system" has more in common with Arminianism than Calvinism.It was an attempt at a middle-of-the-road approach -- but instead it denied the central teachings of Calvinism.There is no such thing as a middle path.

I'm sure you know that Turretine and John Heidegger wrote the Formula Consensus Helvetica in 1675 specifically to counter the teachings of Amyraut who had died eleven years before.Francis Turretin was certainly against what Amyraut stood for.

I think I will cite some names of prominent Reformed men past and present who have been against the doctrines of Amyraut.

Charles Hodge,A.A.Hodge,George Smeaton,B.B.Warfield,R.L.Dabney,Wilhelmus a Brakel,Robert Reymond,John Owen,William Cunningham,Leydecker,Roger Nicole,John Macleod,James T.Dennison.

Pierre du Moulin,Friedrich Spanheim and Rivet along with Turretin and Owen were contemporaries with Amyraut.the first two in particular wrote a lot in opposition to Moise Amyraut.

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hi Rippon,

I think you're wrong about Amyraut, and I certainly can't fathom why you have such disdain for non-speculative forms of hypothetical universalism in the Reformed tradition. I never said Amyraut's views were widely received or that there was no opposition to him. I made the lesser claim that the canons of Dort do not pronounce on his views. I agree that Turretin despised Amyraut and the Salmurian school, which should make his own admission that the school did not go against Dort all the more convincing to you. This admission by Turretin is consistent with forging a formula that counters Amyraut's teachings since Dort did not. You mention Davenant, was he condemned at the synod? Did he agree to the canons given his views on the atonement?

My personal views have little to do with this discussion as should yours. One may defend limited atonement biblically and employ many from the Reformed tradition to her service in defending it, but one should not claim that it is the official view according to the canons and confessions because it was not. There's variety within the Reformed tradition on the extent of the atonement, and one needn't have some bias toward one view or the other to fairly admit that.

Nonetheless I'll give you my personal views. I am a four-pointer and I prefer non-speculative forms of hypothetical universalism because I think it allows for better exegesis of many Scriptures than a limited atonement view. Tangentially, I have come to learn at Calvin Seminary that the Reformed tradition did not hold to a compatibilist view of free will, which has helped me better understand their positions including their views on saving grace. Back to subject, unlike Amyraut, the non-speculative hypothetical universalists (Musculus, Vermigli, etc.) let the plain reading of Scriptures hold that Christ tasted death for every man without speculating as to the ordering of decrees in which this took place like Amyraut. Such a non-speculative view is comfortable saying that Christ effectually paid the penalty of sin only for the elect (meriting certain benefits for his sheep alone), but it stops short of saying that Christ's death paid the penalty of sin only for the elect. Instead, it claims that he paid the penalty of sin for the whole world. I believe that it is unfortunate that many within the Reformed camp today wish to will away part of their own history regarding this issue. Too often there's much rhetoric about what the canons, confessions, and major theologians said without really making a case from the texts themselves.

Frankly, it is a lesser issue like the differences between supralapsarian and infralapsarian and there were hypothetical universalists on both sides of that debate on the decrees. It is a lesser issue precisely because the canons and confessions do not condemn it as they do not condemn certain views of the decrees.

I'm not reading too much into effectually. The canons were forged against the Arminians who wanted to say that Christ's death actually or effectually merited salvation for no specific people, but only conditionally on the account of faith. The canons do not pronounce on the extent of the atonement beyond making it clear that the salvific efficacy of Christ's death infallibly was for and only for the elect. Reformed hypothetical universalists agree. You have yet to show any quotes from the canons that say what limited atonement says: Christ died for and only for the elect. I'm still waiting for a clear statement from the canons on this point. I'll have to keep waiting, though, because there is no such language in the canons. The closest one was the intention of God that the efficacy of Christ's death should infallibly apply to and only to the elect. That still is not the same as saying that the intention of Christ's death was to pay the penalty of sin for only the elect. I don't care what Hoeksema thinks it says.

I think this will be my last post here. I recommend Muller on this, and you claim you respect him, so see if he also can't read the confessions right, superimposes some anachronistic view of effectual, is some closet Almyradian, or some weak three-pointer. I'll leave you with a quote from him that was published in our school's journal earlier this year. He is reviewing Preston's book about the "softening of the Reformed tradition"

Muller: Clear statements of nonspeculative hypothetical universalism can be found (as Davenant recognized) in Heinrich Bullinger’s Decades and commentary on the Apocalypse, in Wolfgang Musculus’ Loci communes, in Ursinus’ catechetical lectures, and in Zanchi’s Tractatus de praedestinatione sanctorum, among other places. In addition, the Canons of Dort, in affirming the standard distinction of a sufficiency of Christ’s death for all and its efficiency for the elect, actually refrain from canonizing either the early form of hypothetical universalism or the assumption that Christ’s sufficiency serves only to leave the nonelect without excuse. Although Moore can cite statements from the York conference that Dort “either apertly or covertly denied the universality of man’s redemption” (156), it remains that various of the signatories of the Canons were hypothetical universalists–not only the English delegation (Carleton, Davenant, Ward, Goad, and Hall) but also the [sic] some of the delegates from Bremen and Nassau (Martinius, Crocius, and Alsted)–that Carleton and the other delegates continued to affirm the doctrinal points of Dort while distancing themselves from the church discipline of the Belgic Confession, and that in the course of seventeenth-century debate even the Amyraldians were able to argue that their teaching did not run contrary to the Canons. In other words, the nonspeculative, non-Amyraldian form of hypothetical universalism was new in neither the decades after Dort nor a “softening” of the tradition: The views of Davenant, Ussher, and Preston followed out a resident trajectory long recognized as orthodox among the Reformed. Richard Muller, “English Hypothetical Universalism: John Preston and the Softening of Reformed Theology,” by Jonathan D. Moore. Reviewed by Richard A Muller, in Calvin Theological Journal, 43 (2008), 149-150. (Italics mine)

BJ

#26 Brandon C. Jones, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had said that Moise Amyraut had not published his views until 15 years after the Synod of Dort.He was only in his early 20's at the time of those sessions.So the Canons of Dort didn't specifically address Amyraldianism because it wasn't an issue then.The Formula Consensus Helvetica was drafted to specifically deal with Amyraldianism.What you are suggesting is like saying that Calvin didn't address Arminianism in his Institutes --that's because it didn't exist in a systematic form then.

Well I'm not a big tent guy myself.For instance the Republican party is a mixed bag --and that has hurt the GOP.The core elements are weakened because of that.The same applies to soteriology and the Calvinistic understanding of the extent of the Atonement.There needs to be some uniformity.I would be considered outside the Reformed Camp because of my Baptist convictions according to my Presbyterian brothers for instance.But I will not yield an inch with respect to the five classical propositions which were hammered out at Dort almost 400 years ago.

Refer back to my opening statement in this post.

My first number of posts in this thread contained some quotes of the Canons which I think pretty much nailed it down tight.You object -- so be it.

Thanks for the Muller quote.

BTW,I do not consider HU as deviant as other major departures from the Faith.Those who held HU in the past and today are my brothers and sisters in the Faith as long as they are right in the Fundamentals.