1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Carpenter's Chapel (9)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by DHK, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

The readings for today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org).

Word For Today

A Wall of Protection31 Jul 2012'You have...put a wall of protection around him...' Job 1:10When God praised Job for his integrity, satan replied, 'You have always put a wall of protection around him...take away everything he has, and he will surely curse you.' So God gave satan permission to test Job, but He placed limits on how far he could go (Job 2:6). There are times '...When the enemy comes in like a flood...' (Isaiah 59:19 NKJV) to attack your mind, your marriage, your ministry, and anything that's born of God in your life. When that happens, Isaiah says, '...The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard [shield] against him' (Isaiah 59:19 NKJV). When you feel you're at breaking point and can't handle one more thing, the Holy Spirit lifts up the wall of the blood of Jesus and tells satan, 'This far and no further!' Paul says, 'We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed' (2 Corinthians 4:8-9 NIV). There's a wall of protection around you. There's also a time for your deliverance. '...In the time of my favour I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you' (2 Corinthians 6:2 NIV). God will step in and intervene. The Psalmist said, '...When my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I' (Psalm 61:2 NAS). When your resources are depleted and you think you're going under for the last time, God has provided a refuge that's higher than your circumstances, a place where you're under divine protection and the enemy has no jurisdiction. All you have to do is lift your eyes toward heaven.

Our Daily Bread

In 2010, auto manufacturers recalled a staggering 20 million cars in the US for various defects. The thought of such a large number of defective cars on the road is startling enough. But what is more disturbing is the apathy of some owners. In one instance, the executive director of the Center for Auto Safety warned owners, “It’s a free repair. Get it done. It may save your life.” Yet, despite the risk to their own lives, 30 percent never responded.

Likewise, many ignore God’s “recall notice” to the entire human race. Unlike a defect found in automobiles, the moral defect of the human race is not the Maker’s fault. He made everything “very good” (Gen. 1:31), but people’s sin ruined it. God’s offer to us is “repent . . . that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19).

God offers not just a free repair of the human heart but a replacement of it (Ezek. 36:26; 2 Cor. 5:17). Though the offer costs us nothing (Eph. 2:8-9), it cost God the life of His only Son Jesus Christ. “[Jesus] bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed” (1 Peter 2:24).

Don’t ignore the Lord’s call. The free and permanent remedy offered by God for your spiritual defect will save your life!

The heart of man is stained by sin,
    From Adam’s fall this has been true;
    Yet God in Christ can make a change—
    Through faith in Him we are made new. —Fitzhugh

For a new start, ask God for a new heart.

2. following-Him

The readings for today are Word For Today (www.uc b.co.uk) and Our Daily bread (www.odb.org).

Word For Today

Just Keep Chewing!01 Aug 2012'He struck three times, and stopped.' 2 Kings 13:18When threatened by the Assyrian army, Israel's king turned to the prophet Elisha for help. Elisha told him to take some arrows and keep striking them on the ground. But the king did it only three times and stopped. So Elisha was angry with him and said, 'You should have struck five or six times; then you would have struck Syria till you had destroyed it! But now you will strike Syria only three times' (v. 19 NKJV). This is a story of partial victory, of what might have been if the king had put more into it. You see, it's not just the opportunity-it's the attitude that meets the opportunity that determines the outcome. God will give you chances to win, but it's your commitment that determines the size of your victory. Paul writes, 'Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men' (Ephesians 6:7 NIV). The clock meant nothing to Paul because he was on a mission. 'I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may...complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me' (Acts 20:24 NIV). People of impact live with that mindset. So here's the question: 'Is your heart in what you're doing? Are you giving it your all?' When Paul Hogan, who portrayed the movie character Crocodile Dundee, was asked how he became successful, he answered, 'The secret of my success is that I bit off more than I could chew, and chewed as fast as I could.' Visions don't come cheap or easy. The bigger your vision, the bigger the price-tag. The secret to fulfilling your vision is-just keep chewing!

Our Daily bread

But God

Howard Sugden, my pastor when I was in college, preached many memorable sermons. After all these years, the one titled “But God . . .” still makes me stop whenever I come to those words in the Bible. Here are a few examples of verses that encourage me with the reminder of God’s righteous intervention in human affairs:

“You meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to . . . save many people alive” (Gen. 50:20).

“Their beauty shall be consumed in the grave . . . . But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave” (Ps. 49:14-15).
    “My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever” (Ps. 73:26).

“For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom. 5:7-8).

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard . . . the things which God has prepared for those who love Him. But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit” (1 Cor. 2:9-10).

Whenever you feel discouraged, look up some “but God” verses and be reassured of God’s involvement in the lives of those who love Him.

Creator of the universe
    Who reigns in awesome majesty:
    How can it be that You’re involved
    With such a one as me? —Sper

God’s involvement in our lives should reassure us of His love.

3. following-Him

The readings for today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily bread (www.odb.org).

Word For Today

Maximise This Day02 Aug 2012'This is the day the Lord has made.' Psalm 118:24God determines the number of your days, but you determine how they are spent. The Psalmist said, 'This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.' Yesterday is a cancelled cheque, tomorrow is a promissory note, today is all you've got. And you can begin your life over today, if you live by these words: 'Today I will delete from my diary two days-yesterday and tomorrow. Yesterday was for learning; tomorrow will be a consequence of what I do today. Today I will face life with the conviction that this day will never return, that it may be the last opportunity I'll have to contribute because there's no guarantee I'll see tomorrow. Today I will be courageous enough not to let opportunity pass me by; my only alternative will be to succeed. Today I will invest my most valuable resource, my time, into my most important possession, the life God has given me. I'll spend each minute purposefully, making today a unique opportunity. I'll tackle each obstacle knowing that with God's help I can overcome it. Today I will resist doubt and pessimism and warm my world with a smile. I'll maintain a strong faith, expect nothing but the best, take time to be happy, see every task as an opportunity to honour the Lord, and endeavour to leave His footprints on the hearts of those I meet.' John Boykin wrote, 'Time is your life-nothing more, nothing less. The way you spend your hours and your days, is the way you spend your life.' So pray, 'Lord, help me to maximise this day.'

Our Daily Bread

Take Notice

While standing in a checkout line, I was estimating my bill and trying to keep my son from wandering away. I barely noticed when the woman ahead of me shuffled toward the exit, leaving all of her items behind. The clerk confided that the woman didn’t have enough money to pay her bill. I felt terrible; if only I had been aware of her situation earlier, I would have helped her.

In the book of Ruth, Boaz became aware of Ruth’s plight when he saw her gleaning in his fields (2:5). He learned that she was recently widowed and was the breadwinner for herself and her mother-in-law. Boaz saw her need for protection, and warned his harvesters to leave her alone (v.9). He supplied her with extra food by instructing his workers to let grain fall purposely (v.16). Boaz even addressed Ruth’s emotional needs by comforting her (vv.11-12). When Naomi heard about this, she said, “Blessed be the one who took notice of you” (v.19).

Are you aware of the needs of the people around you—in your church, neighborhood, or under your own roof? Today, consider how you might help bear someone’s burden. Then you will be fulfilling God’s plan for you (Gal. 6:2; Eph. 2:10).

Help me Lord, to notice
    The hurting, sick, and lost;
    Guide me as I help them
    Regardless of the cost. —Schuldt

God works through us to meet the needs of those around us.

4. following-Him

The readings today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

Doing God's Will03 Aug 2012'I desire to do your will, O my God.' Psalm 40:8Often when we're starting out, we dream of doing earth-changing things and the thought of tackling them intimidates us. That is yet another reason to start small. Don't try to help everyone, just try to help someone! Do that, and in time you may find yourself living what Saint Francis of Assisi described when he said, 'Start doing what is necessary; then do what is possible; and suddenly, you are doing the impossible.' Even if you never get to do big things, you can find great fulfilment in doing right things. No act of kindness is too small to be worth doing. One leader writes: 'Little did I realise when I started with a desire to add significance to others, that it would add significance to me! Now I understand. We should not receive anything without giving, and we cannot give anything without receiving.' The truth is, your dream isn't worthy of your life if it doesn't bless others. President Woodrow Wilson stated: 'You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.' There's an old Middle Eastern blessing that says, 'When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. May you live your life so that when you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice.' And that will surely happen if you live by the scriptural truth, 'I desire to do your will, O my God.'

Our Daily bread

Faith By Works

Because of his arthritis, Roger could no longer handle the winters of Illinois, so he moved to tropical Bangkok, Thailand. One day he remembered his grandmother’s favorite song, “What You Are”: What you are speaks so loud that the world can’t hear what you say; they’re looking at your walk, not listening to your talk; they’re judging from your actions every day.

This song prompted Roger to feed the homeless who stayed along a half-mile stretch of road. Every morning, he served hot food to more than 45 families. Years later, one of the homeless women came to know Jesus as Savior and sought out Roger to thank him for introducing her to the love of Christ.

In James, we are clearly told that faith without works is dead (2:17). It does not mean that works will result in faith, but that good works will affirm that our faith is real. It is easy to say we believe in God, but only our works can prove the truthfulness of our words. Abraham was an example of this. He didn’t just talk about his faith; he demonstrated it by his willingness to give up his only son in obedience to God (James 2:21-24; see Gen. 22:1-18). And Isaac was spared.

Today, how can we actively demonstrate our love for God and trust in Him?

Faith is the power that prompts us to go
    And give to the hungering, bread—
    Faith means much more than a doctrine or two,
    For faith without works is dead. —Woodrum

What matters is not faith and works; it is not faith or works; it is faith that works.

5. following-Him

The readings for today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk), Our Daily bread (www.odb.org) and My Utmost For His Highest (http://utmost.org)

Word For Today

What Kind of Example Are You? (1)04 Aug 2012'Be an example.' 1 Timothy 4:12Andrew Murray wrote, 'God has no more precious gift than a man who lives as an embodiment of His will, and inspires those around him with the faith of what grace can do.' When Paul writes, 'Be an example,' he means 'be a role model.' The first car off the assembly line is a prototype of all that follows. Dressmakers study the pattern, and then design the garment accordingly. The word ideal sounds lofty, and it is. But even if you don't achieve the ideal, it should still be your goal. What Paul was saying to young Timothy was, 'When you talk about Jesus, people should see so much of Him in your life that they desire to know Him. When you talk about faith, the evidence of it should be so compelling that they want to live by it.' The poet wrote: 'I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely show the way. The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing but examples always clear. And the best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds, for to see good put in action is what everybody needs. I soon can learn to do it if you'll let me see it done; I can see your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run. And the lectures you deliver may be very fine and true; but I'd rather get my lesson by observing what you do. For I may not understand you and the high advice you give; but there's no misunderstanding, how you act and live.'

Our Daily bread

Life-Changing Choices

Champion athlete Eric Liddell’s decision not to run on Sunday in the 1924 Olympic Games was not difficult because of his deep belief that the Lord’s Day was for worship and rest.

A more agonizing dilemma had come a year earlier when Eric was asked to speak about his faith in Christ to a group of coal miners. Liddell said of his struggle: “My whole life had been one of keeping out of public duties but the leading of Christ seemed now to be in the opposite direction, and I shrank from going forward. At this time I finally decided to put it all on Christ—after all if He called me to do it, then He would have to supply the necessary power. In going forward the power was given me.”

The day after agreeing to publicly share his faith, Eric received a letter from his sister, Jenny, in China. Written weeks before, it ended with this verse of Scripture: “Fear not for I am with you; be not dismayed for I am your God; I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand” (Isa. 41:10).

Every call from God is an opportunity for us to say “Yes,” trusting His strength and not our own.

Lord, I’m fearful sometimes when You ask me
    to do something out of my comfort zone.
    Help me to remember that as I step out in faith,
    You will provide the power to obey.

He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it. —1 Thessalonians 5:24

My Utmost For His Highest

The Brave Friendship Of God

He took the twelve aside . . . —Luke 18:31

Oh, the bravery of God in trusting us! Do you say, “But He has been unwise to choose me, because there is nothing good in me and I have no value”? That is exactly why He chose you. As long as you think that you are of value to Him He cannot choose you, because you have purposes of your own to serve. But if you will allow Him to take you to the end of your own self-sufficiency, then He can choose you to go with Him “to Jerusalem” (Luke 18:31). And that will mean the fulfillment of purposes which He does not discuss with you.

We tend to say that because a person has natural ability, he will make a good Christian. It is not a matter of our equipment, but a matter of our poverty; not of what we bring with us, but of what God puts into us; not a matter of natural virtues, of strength of character, of knowledge, or of experience— all of that is of no avail in this concern. The only thing of value is being taken into the compelling purpose of God and being made His friends (see 1 Corinthians 1:26-31). God’s friendship is with people who know their poverty. He can accomplish nothing with the person who thinks that he is of use to God. As Christians we are not here for our own purpose at all— we are here for the purpose of God, and the two are not the same. We do not know what God’s compelling purpose is, but whatever happens, we must maintain our relationship with Him. We must never allow anything to damage our relationship with God, but if something does damage it, we must take the time to make it right again. The most important aspect of Christianity is not the work we do, but the relationship we maintain and the surrounding influence and qualities produced by that relationship. That is all God asks us to give our attention to, and it is the one thing that is continually under attack.

6. following-Him

The readings for today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk), Our Dailiy bread (www.odb.org) and My Utmost For His Highest (http://utmost.org).

Word For Today

What Kind of Example Are You? (2)05 Aug 2012'Be an example...in...speech.' 1 Timothy 4:12It's nice to say, 'Be an example,' but in what specific areas? For the next few days let's look at some of them: 'Be an example...in speech.' Go back and read what Paul says to Timothy before this: 'Don't let anybody look down on you because...' When you speak, your credibility is at stake. Solomon says, 'Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? There is more hope of a fool than of him' (Proverbs 29:20). The trouble with words is, once they're spoken their impact is felt either positively or negatively-and you can't take them back! You can say you're sorry, but you may have to rebuild your credibility with the person you spoke to, or about. Here's the litmus test for your words, and it's a high standard: 'May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord' (Psalm 19:14 NLT). The poet wrote: 'A careless word may kindle strife; a cruel word may wreck a life. A gracious word may soothe the way, a joyous word may light the day. A timely word may lessen stress, a loving word may heal and bless.' So today let your words be faith-building, for people battle with doubt and fear. Let your words be comforting, for people have wounds you cannot see. Let your words be uplifting, for people get torn down by criticism and discouragement. Let your words be calming, for God has promised to bless you if you are a peacemaker. And let your words be character-building; that way you'll leave people better off than you found them.

Our Daily Bread

Totally Clean

A friend was updating me on his past year—a year in which he had been receiving ongoing medical treatment for cancer. The smile on his face was a powerful testimony to the good news he had just received. He said that at his one-year checkup the doctor announced that the test results all pointed to one thing: “You are totally clean!” What a difference two words can make! To my friend, totally clean meant every trace of the disease that had threatened his life only months before had been wiped from his body. We rejoiced to hear that he was totally clean!

King David, after his moral failure with Bathsheba, longed for a similar thing to happen in his heart. Hoping for the stains of his sin to be washed away, he cried out, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me” (Ps. 51:10). The good news for him and for us is that our sins can be taken care of. When we need cleansing, John’s familiar words bring hope: “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

We can’t cleanse our own hearts; only God can do that. If we confess our sins to Him, He promises to make us totally clean!

Search me, O God, and know my heart today
    Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray.
    See if there be some wicked way in me;
    Cleanse me from every sin and set me free. —Orr

Confession to God always brings cleansing from God.

My Utmost For His Highest

The Bewildering Calling Of God

’. . . and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of Man will be accomplished.’ . . . But they understood none of these things .

. . —Luke 18:31, 34

God called Jesus Christ to what seemed absolute disaster. And Jesus Christ called His disciples to see Him put to death, leading every one of them to the place where their hearts were broken. His life was an absolute failure from every standpoint except God’s. But what seemed to be failure from man’s standpoint was a triumph from God’s standpoint, because God’s purpose is never the same as man’s purpose.

This bewildering call of God comes into our lives as well. The call of God can never be understood absolutely or explained externally; it is a call that can only be perceived and understood internally by our true inner-nature. The call of God is like the call of the sea— no one hears it except the person who has the nature of the sea in him. What God calls us to cannot be definitely stated, because His call is simply to be His friend to accomplish His own purposes. Our real test is in truly believing that God knows what He desires. The things that happen do not happen by chance— they happen entirely by the decree of God. God is sovereignly working out His own purposes.

If we are in fellowship and oneness with God and recognize that He is taking us into His purposes, then we will no longer strive to find out what His purposes are. As we grow in the Christian life, it becomes simpler to us, because we are less inclined to say, “I wonder why God allowed this or that?” And we begin to see that the compelling purpose of God lies behind everything in life, and that God is divinely shaping us into oneness with that purpose. A Christian is someone who trusts in the knowledge and the wisdom of God, not in his own abilities. If we have a purpose of our own, it destroys the simplicity and the calm, relaxed pace which should be characteristic of the children of God.

7. following-Him

The readings today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily bread (www.odb.org).

Word For Today

What Kind of Example Are You? (3)06 Aug 2012'Be an example...in conduct.' 1 Timothy 4:12Seneca, the Roman statesman, said, 'I govern my life and thoughts as though the world were to see one and read the other.' You can always predict what a person of integrity will do in two areas: 1) In business. Saying 'no' to your boss usually isn't a good career move. But when faced with a choice between his career and his convictions, Daniel refused to eat the king's meat because it was a violation of God's law (Daniel 1:8-17). Joseph refused to sleep with the boss's wife (Genesis 39:6-12). Elisha refused to accept a rich man's money in exchange for healing (2 Kings 5:1-16). Getting the idea? 2) At home. Noah saved his family from destruction by listening to God (Hebrews 11:7). And the first thing he did when he emerged from the ark was to build an altar. Think about that! Noah had an altar before he had a home. Most of us have homes, but no prayer altar, and it shows! Lot, on the other hand, lost his wife and his sons-in-law to the destructive influences of Sodom (Genesis 19:14-26). Today issues of character that once raised alarm don't even raise an eyebrow. But they should. 'I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all He has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice-the kind He will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship Him. Don't copy the behaviour and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect' (Romans 12:1-2 NLT).

Our Daily bread

Always

I love the words always and never. They hold so much hope! I would like to think that I could always be happy and that life would never fail me. But reality says that I won’t always be happy and that the things I hope would never happen just might. So, as good as these words sound, they struggle to live up to their potential—unless you are thinking about the promise of Jesus’ presence.

To a group of troubled disciples who feared facing life on their own Jesus said, “I am with you always” (Matt. 28:20). The writer to the Hebrews reminds us that Jesus said, “‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we may boldly say: ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear’” (Heb. 13:5-6). And the apostle Paul assures believers that after death, “We shall always be with the Lord” (1 Thess. 4:17). How encouraging!

No matter how scary our journey may feel today or how hopeless our future may look, the assurance of His never-failing presence can provide us with the courage and comfort to make it through. And best of all, when this short life is over, we will always be with Him. No wonder Paul encourages us to “comfort one another with these words” (v.18).

Jesus said He’s always with us,
    He will never leave our side;
    Someday we’ll be in His presence
    Where forever we’ll abide. —Sper

Confidence in God’s presence is our comfort.

8. following-Him

The readings for today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

What Kind of Example Are You? (4)07 Aug 2012'Be an example...in love.' 1 Timothy 4:12Jesus said: 'Love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be the sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful' (Luke 6:35-36 NKJV). Such words bring us to our knees, for we fall far short of practising them. The pastor of a large church tells of being on an elevator with a drunk man who was throwing up. The pastor couldn't wait to get off. All the way to his room he kept criticising the man. Later that night God spoke to him and said, 'You laughed at him, but I loved him enough to die for him.' Watch your attitude! The same sunshine that melts the butter hardens the clay. When you constantly deal with people's problems, it will make you either callous or compassionate. In spite of his disappointment in people, Jesus never lost His sense of compassion. Love isn't a virus that you catch, it's a virtue you're supposed to practice every day. And there's a divine dimension to this kind of love. '...the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us' (Romans 5:5 NKJV). You can't reach into the well of your own emotions to find such love; you can only take the love of God that's been poured into your heart and share it with others. And if you are to serve God successfully, you must have regular transfusions of His love.

Our Daily Bread

Heavenly Exclamation!

In August 2011, NASA released a composite image from the Hubble telescope that left people smiling. The image is of two galaxies beginning to collide. The collision looks like a heavenly exclamation point (!). The latest statistic I’ve read says there are about 100 billion observable galaxies in the universe. Each galaxy has hundreds of billions of stars, and more galaxies are being discovered.

When I saw the exclamation-point image on CNN, I was reminded of our awesome Creator. The heavens exclaim His glory (Ps. 19:1), but He is even greater than the heavens He has made. After Solomon built a temple for the Lord’s presence to dwell in, he prayed: “But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built!” (1 Kings 8:27). He knew that if the heavens couldn’t contain God’s presence, the temple he had made surely couldn’t contain Him.

The Lord is so much greater than our finite minds can grasp. Yet He has made it possible for us to know Him through His Son Jesus whom He sent to live on this earth, to die for us, and to be raised. When we believe in Him, our lives join the heavens in proclaiming His glory!

Sing praise to God who reigns above,
    The God of all creation,
    The God of power, the God of love,
    The God of our salvation. —Schutz

In creation we see God’s hand, and in redemption we see His heart.

9. Watchman

Watchman New Member

J.C. Ryle Matthew 5 Introduction

Just what do you think of the Sermon On The Mount? Some regard it as the Gospel-do this and live! No, it is not that.
    In asking, "Would we know what kind of people Christians ought to be?"
    J.C. Ryle seems to have asked the right question, and he gives a magnificient
    answer-it is what we must all strive for. A Holy God cannot command anything less. It is true, we are saved, so we are covered by the righteousness of Christ this is positional. But do we have no responsibility for the practical? Ryle answers yes we do.

Seeing the multitudes, he went up onto the mountain. When he had sat down, his disciples came to him. He opened his mouth and taught them, saying,
    "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God. Blessed are those who have been persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

"Blessed are you when people reproach you, persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. For that is how they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

The three chapters which begin with these verses deserve the special attention of all readers of the Bible. They contain what is commonly called the "sermon on the mount."

Every word of the Lord Jesus ought to be most precious to professing Christians. It is the voice of the chief Shepherd. It is the charge of the great Bishop and Head of the Church. It is the Master speaking. It is the word of Him who "spoke as never man spoke," and by whom we shall all be judged at the last day.

Would we know what kind of people Christians ought to be? Would we know the character at which Christians ought to aim? Would we know the outward walk and inward habit of mind which become a follower of Jesus? Then let us often study the sermon on the mount. Let us often ponder each sentence, and prove ourselves by it. Not least let us often consider who they are that are called BLESSED at the beginning of the sermon. Those whom the great High Priest blesses are blessed indeed.

10. following-Him

The readings today are from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org).

Word For Today

What Kind of Example Are You? (5)08 Aug 2012'Be an example...in spirit.' 1 Timothy 4:12In Bible times, Jews looked down on non-Jews. They actually referred to them as 'dogs.' So when Christ's disciples went in to a Samaritan village to find accommodation for the night, they were turned away. How did the disciples handle this? With understanding? Not a chance! 'They said, "Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them, just as Elijah did?" But He turned and rebuked them, and said, "You do not know what...spirit you are of' ' (Luke 9:54-55 NKJV). Check your spirit! You can be totally unaware of your attitude toward others. You can even use Scripture to justify yourself. The disciples thought that because Elijah called down fire on his enemies at Mount Carmel, they should be able to zap these poor Samaritans. Amazing! Christ had just got through telling them: 'Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you, and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of Man's sake. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy! For indeed your reward is great in heaven...' (Luke 6:22-23 NKJV). Only as you read the Scriptures and pray, can God shine the spotlight on your hidden biases and help you correct them. Often the look on your face has more impact than the words you speak. You can be arrogant and think you're being assertive. You can be insensitive and think you're a truth-teller. You can be purpose-driven and convince people that their only value to you is in what they contribute. When it comes to your 'spirit,' you need a regular check-up.

Our Daily Bread

Winners and Losers

As the NFL playoff game ended and the Green Bay Packers celebrated their victory over the Chicago Bears, my daughter Lisa noticed that her little girl, 4-year-old Eliana, was crying. That seemed odd, since neither of Eliana’s parents particularly cared who won the game.

When Lisa asked Eliana why she was crying, she said, “I feel sorry for the Bears. They look so sad.”

Can we learn something from a preschooler about compassion? In a world where winning is so important and losers get rejected, forgotten, and maligned, we need this reminder: People need compassion. When we see others struggling with a loss are we willing to shed tears with them, put our arms around them, and offer to help?

A number of Scripture passages challenge us to treat others with compassion. Philippians 2:1-3 tells us to think of others above ourselves, looking out for their interests—not just ours. First Peter 3:8-12 reminds us that compassion means treating others “as brothers,” and Colossians 3:12-15 says that mercy, kindness, and humility are marks of those God has redeemed.

Look around you. See anyone going through a difficult loss? Go beyond feeling bad for them. Reach out with compassion and God’s love.

Lord, grant me a heart of compassion
    So burdened for others’ needs,
    That I will show them Your mercy
    In attitudes, words, and deeds. —Fitzhugh

One measure of our likeness to Christ is our sensitivity to the suffering of others.

11. following-Him

Charles, It is a joy to see you posting again. Welcome back!

12. following-Him

The readings today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily bread (www.odb.org).

Word For Today

What Kind of Example Are You? (6)09 Aug 2012'...Be an example...in faith...' 1 Timothy 4:12Having the faith required to get answers to your prayers is an important truth. But that's not what Paul is speaking about here. He begins the chapter saying, '...some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits...' (1Timothy 4:1 NKJV). He warns, stay anchored to the truth, or you'll be caught in the undertow of error. Here's a fact that should alarm us: 90 percent of all those who end up in cults started out in mainline churches. How come? Because they weren't grounded in the truth of Scripture! They are like the guy who was asked, 'What do you believe?' He replied, 'The same thing my church believes.' When asked, 'What does your church believe?' he replied, 'The same thing I believe.' When asked, 'What do you both believe? He replied, 'We both believe the same thing.' Bottom line: he didn't know what he believed! You say, 'But doesn't God have more truth to reveal to us?' Yes. 'The path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day' (Proverbs 4:18). But God doesn't destroy the foundations of truth, He builds on them. Sometimes Bible teachers with fresh revelation act like 'the party started when I arrived!' That's ego, not anointing! We are not called to be tasters of experience, but testers of truth. We must honour the ministry, but understand that just because a preacher says it, doesn't make it so. The Bereans '...received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so' (Acts 17:11 NKJV). You must do that!

Our Daily bread

Comfort In Captivity

On February 10, 1675, 50 colonial families in Lancaster, Massachusetts, feared possible Native American raids. Joseph Rowlandson, the Puritan minister of the village, was in Boston pleading with the government for protection, while Mary, his wife, stayed behind with their children. At sunrise, the settlers were attacked. After some of the settlers were killed, Mary and other survivors were taken captive.

Mary experienced both kindness and cruelty from her captors. The Native Americans, aware of the religious nature of the settlers, gave her a Bible they had confiscated. Later she would write in her memoirs about God’s “goodness in bringing to my hand so many comfortable and suitable Scriptures in my distress.” God’s Word was her great comfort until she was ransomed by the colonists on May 2.

As the nation of Judah waited to be taken into captivity by a foreign power (Isa. 39:5-7), the despair of its people must have been great. But even in that dreadful anticipation, God’s words brought comfort: “The word of the Lord which you have spoken is good!” (v.8).

Have you been taken captive by circumstances beyond your control? If so, read and meditate on the Word. And experience God’s comfort.

Upon Thy Word I rest, so strong, so sure;
    So full of comfort blest, so sweet, so pure,
    Thy Word that changest not, that faileth never!
    My King, I rest upon Thy Word forever. —Havergal

God’s Word is the true source of comfort.

13. Watchman

Watchman New Member

The Poor in Spirit

The Lord Jesus calls those blessed, who are poor in spirit. He means the humble, and lowly-minded, and self-abased. He means those who are deeply convinced of their own sinfulness in God's sight. These are they who are not "wise in their own eyes and holy in their own sight." They are not "rich and increased with goods." They do not imagine that they need nothing. They regard themselves as "wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked." Blessed are all such! Humility is the very first letter in the alphabet of Christianity. We must begin low, if we would build high.

14. following-Him

Word For Today

What Kind of Example Are You? (7)10 Aug 2012'Be an example...in purity.' 1 Timothy 4:12This word 'purity' refers to that which is not polluted. Pollution causes disease and death. The products on the grocery store shelf may be beautifully packaged, but when food-borne illness results, we must go back to the source and find the problem. What is it? Careless, cost-cutting methods that not only permit disease but promote it. Consider this: some of the things that entertain us today would have shocked our parents and grandparents. Is that because we are more enlightened? Look around you and judge for yourself! While living under his father's authority the Prodigal Son was well off. But in search of enlightenment and entertainment, he ended up in a pigsty. Yes, he was forgiven and welcomed back home, but he lost a lot in the process. Today the world of politics, education and entertainment are battling for your mind, your attention and your allegiance. So here's a Scripture you need to think about carefully: 'Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus' (Philippians 2:5 NKJV). In other words, submit your thoughts to God. If He approves them-they're okay. Paul writes: 'We are human, but we don't wage war as humans do. We use God's mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ' (2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NLT). If you don't 'capture' wrong thoughts and submit them to the test of scriptural truth, they'll lead you in the wrong direction.

Our Daily bread

Seek and Save

Lachlan Macquarie, governor of New South Wales from 1810–1821, had a way of making everyone feel included in the new colony. When the “exclusives” (free settlers, civil servants, and military officers) shunned the society of the “emancipists” (transported convicts given conditional or absolute pardon), Governor Macquarie insisted that they be treated as social equals.

Jesus showed interest in Zacchaeus, a shunned tax collector in Jericho, and included him in the recipients of His salvation plan (Luke 19:1-10). A marginalized and hated man because of his profession, Zacchaeus was desperate to see Jesus and climbed a tree to get a glimpse of Him. When Jesus passed by, He saw Zacchaeus’ desire and told him to come down because he had a divine appointment at his house. Some complained that Jesus was spending time with a sinner. His loving attention changed Zacchaeus’ life. He repented and offered restitution for those he had defrauded. Salvation had come to his house.

Jesus’ mission was simple: Diligently search for lost people, whatever their social standing, and offer them God’s salvation plan. As followers of Christ, we too have that as our mission.

Lord, help us show compassion
    To a world that’s lost in sin,
    So when we share the gospel,
    Hungry souls for Christ we’ll win. —Sper

Christ’s mission is our mission.

15. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Ryle on The Sermon on The Mount

The Lord Jesus calls those blessed, who mourn. He means those who sorrow for sin, and grieve daily over their own short-comings. These are they who trouble themselves more about sin than about anything on earth. The remembrance of it is grievous to them. The burden of it is intolerable. Blessed are all such! "The sacrifices of God are a broken and contrite spirit." One day they shall weep no more. "They shall be comforted."

The Lord Jesus calls those blessed, who are meek. He means those who are of a patient and contented spirit. They are willing to put up with little honor here below. They can bear injuries without resentment. They are not ready to take offence. Like Lazarus in the parable, they are content to wait for their good things. Blessed are all such! They are never losers in the long run. One day they shall "reign on the earth." (Rev. 5:10.)

We have two ears and one mouth, which ought to remind us to listen more than we speak.

Warren Weirsbe
    Be Mature (James) Growing Up In Christ pg. 59

16. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Ryle and the Sermon on the Mount

The Lord Jesus calls those blessed, who hunger and thirst after righteousness. He means those who desire above all things to be entirely conformed to the mind of God. They long not so much to be rich, or wealthy, or learned, as to be holy. Blessed are all such! They shall have enough one day. They shall "awake up after God's likeness and be satisfied." (Psalm. 17:15.)

The Lord Jesus calls those blessed, who are merciful. He means those who are full of compassion towards others. They pity all who are suffering either from sin or sorrow, and are tenderly desirous to make their sufferings less. They are full of good works, and endeavors to do good. Blessed are all such! Both in this life and that to come they shall reap a rich reward.

You can’t become a liberal by reading your Bible. You have to go to a school to learn that stuff.

John MacArthur
    Diligence and Decline in the Church Revelation 2&3

17. following-Him

Amen. Thank you Charles.

18. Watchman

Watchman New Member

The Lord Jesus calls those "blessed" who are pure in heart. He means those who do not aim merely at outward correctness, but at inward holiness. They are not satisfied with a mere external show of religion: they strive to have always a conscience void of offense, and to serve God with the spirit and the inner man. Blessed are all such! The heart is the man. "Man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." ( 1 Samuel 16:7.) He that is most spiritually-minded will have most communion with God.

The Lord Jesus calls those "blessed" who are peacemakers . He means those who use all their influence to promote peace and charity on earth, in private and in public, at home and abroad. He means those who strive to make all men love one another, by teaching that Gospel which says, "Love is the fulfilling of the law." ( Romans 13:10.) Blessed are all such! They are doing the very work which the Son of God began when He came to earth the first time, and which He will finish when He returns the second time.

Those who have questioned the truth that Christ is God have done so either through a limited understanding of that which is written, or through wanton rejection of what is doubtless the clearest of all revelations.

Lewis Sperry Chafer
    Systematic Theology ppg. 6-7

19. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Ryle on the Sermon non the Mount

(Note: I have trouble with my internet connection sometimes, so my posting may be spotty. There is hardly anything to complain about, after all, it is free wifi!)

Lastly, the Lord Jesus calls those "blessed" who are persecuted for righteousness' sake. He means those who are laughed at, mocked, despised, and ill used, because they endeavour to live as true Christians. Blessed are all such! They drink of the same cup which their Master drank. They are now confessing Him before men, and He will confess them before His Father and the angels at the last day. "Great is their reward."
    Such are the eight foundation-stones which the Lord lays down at the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount. Eight great testing truths are placed before us. May we mark well each one of them, and learn wisdom.
    Let us learn how entirely contrary are the principles of Christ to the principles of the world. It is vain to deny it: they are almost diametrically opposed. The very characters which the Lord Jesus praises the world despises; the very pride, and thoughtlessness, and high tempers, and worldliness, and selfishness, and formality, and unlovingness, which abound everywhere, the Lord Jesus condemns.
    Let us learn how unhappily different is the teaching of Christ from the practice of many professing Christians. Where shall we find men and women among those who go to churches and chapels, who are striving to live up to the pattern we have read of today? There is to much reason to fear that many baptized persons are utterly ignorant of what the New Testament commands.
    Above all, let us learn how holy and spiritually-minded all believers should be. They should never aim at any standard lower than that of the Sermon on the Mount. Christianity is emiently a practical religion: sound doctrine is its root and foundation, but holy living should always be its fruit; and if we would know what holy living is, let us often bethink ourselves who they are that Jesus calls "blessed."

While the five life-purposes that Rick Warren explores in The Purpose-Driven life are all biblical concepts, he does not always use the right texts to support his conclusions. Instead, he routinely picks and chooses whatever verse (or part of a verse) he wants, from whatever translation or paraphrase he thinks best makes his point. Doing so sets a terrible example-implying to his readers that this type of Bible interpretation (where accuracy and context seems to be ignored) is perfectly acceptable.
    Nathan Busenitz
    Fools Gold: Discerning Truth in an Age of Error. pg. 50

20. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Ryle on The Sermon on The Mount

THESE verses teach us, in the first place, the character which true Christians must support and maintain in the world.
    The Lord Jesus tells us that true Christians are to be in the world like "salt." "Ye are the salt of the earth." Now salt has a peculiar taste of its own, utterly unlike anything else. When mingled with other substances it preserves them from corruption; it imparts a portion of its taste to everything it is mixed with. It is useful so long as it preserves its savour, but no longer. Are we true Christians? Then let us see here our office and our duties!
    The Lord Jesus tells us that true Christians are to be in the world like light. "Ye are the light of the world." Now it is the property of light to be utterly distinct from darkness. The least spark in a dark room can be seen at once. Of all things created, light is the most useful: it fertilizes; it guides; it cheers. It was the first thing called into being. ( Genesis 1:3.) Without it the world would be a gloomy blank. Are we true Christians? Then behold again our position and its responsibility!

A man does what he does because he is what he is.
    A.W. Pink on John 10:13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.