1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Carpenter's Chapel (9)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by DHK, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

The devotionals today come again from Word For Today and Our Daily Bread.

First, Word For Today, which can be found at www.ucb.co.uk

Growing Stronger through Change (5)14 Jul 2011''...let us strip off every weight that... trips us up...' ' Hebrews 12:1The Psalmist said, '...I'm awake all night - not a wink of sleep; I can't even say what's bothering me...' (Psalm 77:4 TM). Is that the way it is in your life right now? If so, let go of what no longer works. There are trade-offs. For everything you gain, you usually have to give something up. The trouble is, we hate giving up what we do well. So we focus on 'doing things right', end up not doing the right things, and wonder why we don't succeed. When your season changes, be open to a new strategy. Letting go of what doesn't work anymore frees you up to focus on what does. And more importantly, to focus on what God wants you to do! Second, don't let change paralyse you. In new situations our first inclination is to slow down, play it safe and buy ourselves time. But often we just fall further behind. Being overly cautious makes you freeze like a deer caught in the headlights. The Bible says that God '...gives power to the faint, and strengthens the powerless' (Isaiah 40:29 NRS). So trust Him and move forward, instead of giving in to the impulse to just do nothing. Then, approach the future with confidence. Recent events have us all on edge, but as a child of God you can say, 'I can lie down and sleep soundly because you, Lord, will keep me safe' (Psalm 4:8 CEV). The truth is, you can't build a decent argument for living in fear; so trust God, adjust to reality, and live each day to the fullest!

And Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org

On February 1, 1960, four students from an all-black college sat down at a “whites only” lunch counter in Greensboro, North Carolina. One of them, Franklin McCain, noticed an older white woman seated nearby looking at them. He was sure that her thoughts were unkind toward them and their protest against segregation. A few minutes later she walked over to them, put her hands on their shoulders, and said, “Boys, I am so proud of you.”
    Recalling the event years later on National Public Radio, McCain said he learned from this never to stereotype anyone. Instead he should pause to consider others and seek an opportunity to talk with them.
    The first-century church, like ours today, was often fractured by divisions based on race, language, and culture. Paul wrote to the followers of Jesus in Corinth to help them respond to those who were more concerned with outward appearance than with what is in the heart (2 Cor. 5:12). Because Christ died for all, Paul said, “From now on, we regard no one according to the flesh” (v.16).
    May we all look closely to see the person inside, for everyone is made in the image of God and can become a new creation in Christ.

First impressions can mislead us
    For we do not know the heart;
    We can often be mistaken
    Since we only know in part. —Fitzhugh

It’s what’s in the heart that matters.

2. following-Him

I do hope you will find today's readings a blessing.
    The first is taken from Word For Today and can be found at www.ucb.co.uk

Honouring His Name15 Jul 2011''...Hallowed be thy name.'' Matthew 6:9At the dedication service for their baby boy a young wife told the pastor, 'My husband wants to name him after his dad, but I want to name him after mine.' The pastor said, 'What's your dad's name?' 'Joseph,' she replied. 'What's your husband's father's name?' he asked. 'Joseph,' she replied again. 'Then what's the problem?' The husband replied, 'Well, her dad's a criminal and mine's a Christian. How will people know which one he's named after?' The pastor said, 'That's easy. Call him Joseph and see which one he turns out to be like. That way everybody will know whose name he carries.' Jesus taught us to pray, 'Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven' (vs. 9-10). How do we honour God's name? By doing His will on earth. St Francis once took a young monk with him to preach in town. But when they arrived they just chatted with vendors and talked to people on the street. Returning home, the novice asked St Francis why they hadn't preached. He replied, 'People listened; they observed our attitude and behaviour. That was our message.' Paul writes, '...Take care of... business... do your... work... then people who are not believers will respect you...' (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 NCV). That means ensuring that your walk matches your talk, that you truly care about others, that you're not cheating on your spouse or your income taxes, that you're paying your bills on time, that you're not short-changing your employer. Peter writes, '...Serve one another...' (1 Peter 5:5 GNT). It's one thing to call yourself a Christian, it's entirely another when those who know you best, agree!

The second is from Our Daily Bread and can be found at www.odb.org

In the game of golf, out-of-bounds or O. B. markers designate when a ball has gone out of play. If a player’s ball goes out-of-bounds, a one-stroke penalty is imposed.
    The prophet Jeremiah warned the southern kingdom of Judah about their persistent rejection of God’s boundaries for them. He said that even the sea knows that the sand on the seashore is its O. B. marker, “an everlasting barrier it cannot cross” (Jer. 5:22 NIV). Yet, the Lord’s people had defiant and rebellious hearts (v.23). There was no fear of God, who gave them rain for their crops (v.24). They grew rich on deceit (v.27) and ignored the pleas of the disadvantaged (v.28).
    God has given moral boundaries in His Word for us to live within. He gave them not to frustrate us but so that by keeping within them we may enjoy His blessings. David wrote: “I know, O Lord, that Your judgments are right” (Ps. 119:75). God told Israel through Moses, “I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life” (Deut. 30:19).
    Don’t test God’s boundaries and invite His correction. Make wise choices to live within His O. B. markers in His Word.

The Lord has given us commands,
    And told us to obey;
    Our own designs are sure to fail,
    If we neglect His way! —Bosch

A small step of obedience is a giant step to blessing.

3. following-Him

Today's devotionals come again from Word For Today and Our Daily Bread.

First, Word For Today, which you can find at www.ucb.co.uk

Who Are You Depending On?16 Jul 2011''My help comes from the Lord...'' Psalm 121:2If you desire to do God's will but don't draw on His power, you'll fail in spite of your skill, your connections and your resources. You must develop an increasing sense of dependence on God. Now you can't just sit on the sidelines expecting Him to do everything for you. You've been called to step out in faith, obey His instructions - then trust Him for the right results. God-sufficiency should become your goal, not self-sufficiency! This calls for praying, 'Lord, I'm tempted to do things in my own strength, but I don't like the results. Teach me to strive for excellence, not omnipotence; to maximise my talents and minimise my ego. Remind me that You will never give me an assignment that doesn't require obedience, commitment, and Your enabling grace.' The Psalmist cried, 'My help comes from the Lord.' Think: if He's Lord of every situation and He's promised to help you, then your victory is assured. It's when you think you can do it without Him, or with limited input from Him, that you get into trouble. Jesus said, '..."The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do..."' (John 5:19 NKJV). Jesus knew He couldn't do anything apart from the Father, so He never bothered to try. We, on the other hand, quote the verse, '...without Me you can do nothing' (John 15:5 NKJV), then go out and act like it all depends on us. And what happens? We fall flat on our face. So learn to stop regularly and ask yourself, 'Who am I depending on?' Then answer, 'You, Lord!'

And the second devotional, Our Daily Bread, can be found at www.odb.org

“What a rotten design,” I grumbled, as I emptied our paper shredder. I was following good advice about shredding personal documents, but I could not empty the container without spilling strips of confetti all over the carpet! One day as I was gathering trash, I debated whether I’d even bother since it was only half-full. But when I slipped a small plastic bag over the top and flipped it upside down, I was pleased to see that not a bit of paper had fallen on the floor.
    The error had been mine. I had been waiting until the container was filled to the brim before emptying it!
    When we allow sin to fill up our hearts, it too will overflow into our life. Luke 6:45 says that “an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil.” It is “out of the abundance of the heart” that we speak.
    What if we were to empty our hearts of the rubbish of sin before it started spilling into our interactions with others? To dispose of our bitterness, stubborn pride, seething anger? (Eph. 4:26-32). First John 1:9 reminds us that “if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
    A paper shredder is designed to be a rubbish receptacle. You and I are not!

Search me, O God, and know my heart today;
    Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts I pray.
    See if there be some wicked way in me;
    Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free. —Orr

Own up to your sin—you can’t hide it from God anyway!

4. following-Him

Word For Today is the first of our devotionals today. It can be found at www.ucb.co.uk

God's Customised Plan for Your Life17 Jul 2011''...to will and to act according to his good purpose.'' Philippians 2:13God is committed to His plan for your life, not yours! You can't say, 'Lord, here's my plan; bless it.' He may, but He may not. '...He... created us... so we can do the good things he planned for us...' (Ephesians 2:10 NLT). You can't say, 'In this category I'm doing things my way, but in that category I'm being led by God.' No, every step you take must be synchronised by the beat of the Holy Spirit. Nothing should be more important to you than keeping pace with Him. Paul writes, 'For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his... purpose' (Philippians 2:13 NIV). God works through you as you open your spirit, engage your mind, and use your talents to do what He's already put into your heart. The moment you say yes, He gives you the power to perform His will. Notice, He doesn't reveal His will, then call you. No, He calls you, and as you step out and obey Him He reveals His will to you step by step. Each day God is moulding you into a greater likeness of His Son. That's His objective. You're not out for a stroll, you're going somewhere! Over and over again you'll be put into situations that mature you to the point where you have the same attitude, the same perspective, the same responses, and the same discernment as Jesus. Once you understand that, walking with God will take on a whole new meaning. You'll realise that His customised plan for your life is the only plan that will ever satisfy you.

The second devotional is Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org

Too long. Too short. Too big. Too small. Too tight. Too loose. These words describe most of the clothes I try on. Finding the perfect fit seems impossible.
    Finding a church that is a “perfect fit” poses similar problems. Every church has something that’s not quite right. Our gifts aren’t recognized. Our talents aren’t appreciated. Our sense of humor is misunderstood. Certain attitudes, beliefs, people, or programs make us uncomfortable. We feel as if we don’t fit. We struggle to find our place.
    We know, however, that God wants us to fit together with one another. The apostle Paul said we are being “built together to become a dwelling in which God lives” (Eph. 2:22 NIV).
    The believers in the church today, like the tabernacle in the days of Moses (Ex. 26) and the temple in the days of Solomon (1 Kings 6:1-14), are the dwelling place of God on earth. God wants us to fit together—for there to be no divisions in His church. This means that we, the building blocks, are to be “perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment” (1 Cor. 1:10).
    No church will be a perfect fit, but we can all work at fitting together more perfectly.

For Further Study
    Check out the online resource The Church We Need
    for help in learning to get along with brothers and
    sisters in Christ. See www.discoveryseries.org/q0904

Christ’s love creates unity in the midst of diversity.

5. following-Him

Today's devotionals come again from Word For Today and Our Daily Bread.
    Word For Today can be found at www.ucb.co.uk

Seeing the Big Picture18 Jul 2011''He performeth the thing that is appointed for me...'' Job 23:14Sometimes God permits things, other times He actually plans them. Either way, He's got a definite plan in mind. In the midst of unspeakable heartache, Job said, 'He performeth the thing that is appointed for me.' When you realise that God has 'appointed' something for you, it changes how you see it. It's like flying. On the ground your view is limited, but 10,000 feet up everything looks different. Now you're seeing what God sees: 'the big picture'! The Bible says that after Job came through his trials he was blessed with twice as much as he had before (Job 42:10). Does that mean if you lose a 30,000 GBP-a-year job you'll get back a 60,000 GBP-a-year one? Or that your chequebook will always balance, or your car never break down, or your health never fail? No, sometimes God rewards our faith with things we can't measure in monetary value - such as relationships, joy, character, peace you didn't have before, a fresh sense of purpose, protection from danger, favour with others, a clearer understanding, more compassion, and intimacy with Him. What value would you place on those? Here are three things you need to keep in mind at all times. First, God wants you to trust Him in whatever you're going through (Psalm 138:8). Second, when it's your responsibility, God expects you to fulfil it (Ecclesiastes 9:10). Third, in order to bless you, He will sometimes move in ways that are hard to understand or explain (Psalm 25:4). Why? So that when the answer comes there'll be no doubt about Who gets the credit.

Our Daily Bread can be found at www.odb.org

The psalmist was fed up with “the contempt of the proud” (Ps. 123:4). Perhaps you are too. People in your neighborhood, office, or classroom may be scornful of your faith and determination to follow Jesus. Sticks and stones do break our bones, but words can wound more deeply. In his commentary on this psalm, Derek Kidner refers to contempt as “cold steel.”
    We can fend off the jeers of the proud by becoming like them, or we can view their attempt to humiliate us as a badge of honor. We can rejoice that we’ve been “counted worthy to suffer shame for [Jesus’] name” (Acts 5:41). Better to bear shame for a short time than to endure “everlasting contempt” (Dan. 12:2).
    We must not be like the mockers by mocking them in turn, but bless those who persecute us. “Bless and do not curse,” Paul reminds us (Rom. 12:14). Then God may draw them to faith and repentance, and turn our moments of shame into eternal glory.
    Finally, as the psalmist counsels us, we must “look to the Lord our God” (123:2). He understands as no other, for He too has endured reproach. He will show compassion to us according to His infinite mercy.

When persecution comes your way
    And people mock your Lord,
    Remember what’s in store for those
    Who love and trust His Word. —Sper

When others’ treatment of you gets you down, look up to Jesus.

6. following-Him

Today's devotionals come from Word For Today, which is to be found at www.ucb.co.uk and Our Daily Bread, which is to be found at www.odb.org

Word For Today

Let Jesus Solve Your Problem19 Jul 2011''...the mother of Jesus said... "They have no wine."'' John 2:3In biblical times offering wine to your guests at a wedding was an expected courtesy. It was also a sign of respect, so running out of it would have been considered a social disaster. But observe how Mary handled it. Instead of looking for someone to blame, or making excuses, she took her problem to Jesus. That's always your best move. 'O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear. All because we do not carry, everything to God in prayer.' Jesus told the servants to fill the jars with water and give some to the headwaiter. When he tasted it, the Bible says, '...the water had become wine...' (John 2:9 NCV). But notice, it happened after they had obeyed Jesus, not before. At a particularly contentious church board meeting when one member suggested they pray about the problem, another responded, 'Has it come to that?' There are basically two reasons we make prayer our last resort instead of our first: we like to think we're able to solve our own problems and we feel insignificant and think, 'It's okay for Mary to ask Jesus; she's His mother, but He's got bigger problems to solve than mine.' No, your problems are important to God - all of them! He delights in you (Psalm 18:19). He rejoices over you as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride (Isaiah 62:5). You're never too big or too small to ask your heavenly Father for help. Just take your cue from Mary: identify the problem, bring it to Jesus, do what He tells you, and watch Him work it out.

Our Daily Bread

If you’re a fan of Shakespeare, you know that his heroes always have a serious character flaw. It makes for a good story and teaches some important lessons. The same is true of our Bible hero Abraham. His flaw? Fear.
    Twice Abraham succumbed to his fear that a ruler would kill him and steal his wife (Gen. 12:11-20; 20:2-13). Fearing for his life, he deceived both Pharaoh and King Abimelech by saying, “She is my sister”—in essence welcoming the king to take Sarah into his harem (20:2). With fear dictating his actions, he put at risk God’s plan that through him and Sarah a great nation would arise (12:1-3).
    But before we judge Abraham, we should ask ourselves a few questions. For fear of losing our job, would we compromise our integrity? For fear of appearing old-fashioned, would we set aside our values? For fear of being ridiculed or misunderstood, would we neglect sharing the gospel and put someone’s eternity at risk? Only one thing will conquer our fears: tenacious faith in God’s presence, protection, power, and promises.
    If your fear is putting God’s wonderful plans for you at risk, remember that He will never ask you to do anything He can’t bring to completion, even if it requires miraculous intervention on His part.

It often helps in time of trial
    When fearful and alone,
    To know that every doubt we feel
    The greatest saints have known. —D. De Haan

Let your faith overcome your fear,
    and God will turn your worry into worship.

7. following-Him

Today the Word For Today is the first of two devotionals. It can be found at www.ucb.co.uk

When Someone Stumbles, Help Them (1)20 Jul 2011''...if anyone is caught in any trespass...'' Galatians 6:1Paul writes, 'If anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness.' Note the word 'caught'. Most of us who stumble thought at one time, 'That will never happen to me.' But it did. In a moment of weakness we yielded to evil. When this happens to someone in God's family we have a responsibility to restore them, regardless of the nature of the sin. In this Scripture this word 'restore' has medical overtones. It pictures a doctor resetting a broken limb. To restore someone scripturally, we must help them in several ways. First, we must help them to acknowledge their failure. After his affair with Bathsheba, David prayed, '...[I have] sinned and done what is evil in your sight...' (Psalm 51:4 NIV). Second, we should help them to accept responsibility for their sin. Even though someone else may have been a contributing factor, we are still accountable to God. Third, we must help them to repent. Repentance involves deep remorse, turning away from our sin, and moving in a new direction. Then, we must help them to make restitution. For example, someone who has done wrong needs to make amends when possible. We can help them to grow stronger through it. Through failure, God teaches us lessons that keep us from wandering into similar situations in the future. We can help them to respond to God's correction with gratitude. Granted, this is not easy, but when a person comprehends God's purpose in such discipline - that we might '...share in his holiness' (Hebrews 12:10 NIV) - they begin to thank their heavenly Father for His loving correction. Indeed, it protects them from any root of bitterness springing up in the aftermath of sin.

Our second devotioal today is taken from Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org

England’s Imperial War Museum is housed in a building in London that was a former location of the Bethlem Royal Hospital, a care center for the mentally ill. The hospital was commonly known as “Bedlam,” which gradually became a term used to describe scenes of chaos and madness.
    It’s ironic that the War Museum would occupy Bedlam’s former location. As you walk through the museum, in addition to stories of heroism and sacrifice in wartime, you also find bone-chilling accounts of the madness of man’s inhumanity to man. From the exhibits about modern genocide and ethnic cleansing to the one on the Holocaust, it is evil on display.
    Solomon observed mankind’s propensity for evil, describing it as those who “rejoice in doing evil, and delight in the perversity of the wicked” (Prov. 2:14). While this may describe much of the world around us, followers of Jesus have a refreshingly different way to handle life. Paul challenged us: “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (Rom. 12:21). Christ-centered actions such as living morally (v.17), making peace (v.18), and treating our enemies with care (v.20) will affect the world for good.
    If each of us were to live as a reflection of God’s love, perhaps there would be a lot less bedlam.

The godless and sinful everywhere
    Are objects of God’s love and care,
    But they will always know hopeless despair
    Unless His love with them we share. —D. De Haan

A despairing world needs caring Christians.

8. following-Him

Two devotionals again today. The first is taken from Word For Today, which can be found at www.ucb.co.uk

When Someone Stumbles, Help Them (2) 21 Jul 2011''...restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness...'' Galatians 6:1What is the 'spirit' in which we are to restore someone? The spirit of gentleness. 'If anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness.' More than likely, the person is already hurting and as fragile as glass; condemnation will only worsen their plight. Understanding and acceptance - not agreement - are what's needed here. The spirit of humility. 'Each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.' We're all cut from the same bolt of cloth; we're all capable of blowing it. Remember, Peter said to Christ, Lord, others may deny you but not me! (Matthew 26:33 NIV). And he meant it; he didn't believe it could happen to him! We must be careful about our own lives, examining ourselves, knowing that we too are vulnerable to all types of temptation and sin. Finally, the spirit of love and empathy. Paul writes, 'Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfil the law of Christ' (Galatians 6:2 NAS). In this passage the word 'burden' means 'a heavy load'. It means being willing to walk with them, weep with them and work with them until they've been restored. If the hurting cannot find grace, love and healing in the family of God, where can they go to find it? Dr Charles Stanley writes, 'It should be clear from the scriptures that we have a responsibility to restore a fallen brother or sister. It should also be clear that this sensitive, delicate issue must be handled with great care, lest we damage our witness to an unbelieving world.'

The second devotional is from Our Daily Bread and can be found at www.odb.org

For a good portion of my life, I shared the perspective of those who rail against God for allowing pain. I could find no way to rationalize a world as toxic as this one.
    As I visited people whose pain far exceeded my own, though, I was surprised by its effects. Suffering seemed as likely to reinforce faith as to sow doubt.
    My anger about pain has melted mostly for one reason: I have come to know God. He has given me joy and love and happiness and goodness. It leaves me with faith in a Person, a faith so solid that no amount of suffering can erode it.
    Where is God when it hurts? He has been there from the beginning. He designed a pain system that, in the midst of a fallen world, bears His stamp. He transforms pain, using it to teach and strengthen us if we allow it to turn us toward Him.
    He has hurt and bled and cried and suffered. He has dignified for all time those who suffer, by sharing their pain. But one day He will gather the armies of heaven and will unleash them against the enemies of God. The world will see one last terrifying moment of suffering before the full victory is ushered in. Then God will create for us a new, incredible world. And pain will be no more (Rev. 19:11–22:6).

He left His Father’s throne above,
    So free, so infinite His grace!
    Emptied Himself of all but love,
    And bled for Adam’s helpless race. —Wesley

Pain will either turn us against God or draw us to Him.

9. following-Him

Today's devotionals are from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org) . I hope they will be a blessing to all who read them.

When Someone Stumbles, Help Them (3)22 Jul 2011''...restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness...'' Galatians 6:1Why is restoration necessary? To preserve their life. '...Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death...' (James 5:20 NIV). When someone you love is sinning, they're literally killing themselves. If you care, you won't be able to stand by and watch. Restoration is necessary to preserve the church. Paul writes, '...admonish the unruly...' (1 Thessalonians 5:14 NAS). When sin is tolerated and rationalised, members become angry and leave, and others are wounded. A church's reputation and climate are hurt by those who sin and don't make amends. It's vital to preserve God's reputation. When Nathan spoke to David about his sin with Bathsheba, he said, '...you have made the enemies of the Lord show utter contempt...' (2 Samuel 12:14 NIV). When we condemn in the world what we condone in ourselves, our message falls on deaf ears. So Paul writes, 'If anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness.' We are to approach them the right way! We must not confront someone about sin when we have the same problem ourselves. We must approach them with the purpose and expectation of restoring. This isn't a witch hunt, it's a lamb search. It's to bring them back into fellowship, and we must get rid of our 'holier than thou' attitude. Be honest; it's only by God's grace that you're not caught in the same trespass, right? Tell the one you're dealing with that you recognise this. Assure them that whatever the sin, it's not unforgivable. There's a way back to spiritual health.

Our Daily Bread:

Thrown together as seatmates for an 8-hour train ride, a retired US ambassador and I quickly clashed as he sighed when I pulled out my Bible.
    I took the bait. At first, we traded one-liners aimed at goading the other or scoring points. Gradually, though, bits and pieces of our respective life stories started creeping into the discussion. Curiosity got the better of both of us and we found ourselves asking questions instead of feuding. A political science major in college and a political junkie by hobby, I was intrigued with his career, which included two prominent ambassadorships.
    Strangely enough, his questions to me were about my faith. How I became “a believer” was what interested him most. The train ride ended amicably, and we even traded business cards. As he left the train, he turned to me and said, “By the way, the best part of your argument isn’t what you think Jesus can do for me. It’s what He’s done for you.”
    In John 9, as on that train, God reminds us that the best story is the one we know intimately: Our own encounter with Jesus Christ. Practice telling your story of faith to loved ones and close friends so you’ll be able to tell it clearly to others.

You may be tempted to debate
    To change another’s view,
    But nothing speaks more powerfully
    Than what Christ did in you. —Sper

People know true faith stories when they hear them.

10. following-Him

Good Morning. Today's offerings come from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org). I hope all who read them will find them a blessing.

Word for Today

Do You Need Direction?23 Jul 2011''The Lord watches over the path of the godly...'' Psalm 1:6God will speak to you through relationships. Sometimes He will give you direct revelation, but often He will speak to you through relationships. His Word says, 'Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you...' (Hebrews 13:7 NIV). Who speaks into your life? To whom are you submitted? Without good input you will live unprotected and undirected. God will speak to you through your gifts. 'A man's gift makes room for him...' (Proverbs 18:16 NAS). When God is directing your steps you won't need to kick the door open or force your way in. Your gift will bring a solution and meet a need; therefore, you'll be welcomed, valued and rewarded. He'll speak to you through your thoughts. '...we have the mind of Christ' (1 Corinthians 2:16 NIV). When our minds are renewed by His Word and lined up with His will, God actually thinks through us. Consider what an advantage that is! God will speak through open doors. Paul wrote, 'For a great door for effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries' (1 Corinthians 16:9). God will open doors for you, but you must remember that with every opportunity He gives, challenges come too. That's what builds your faith and strengthens you for the future. He will speak through 'a word' of confirmation. 'Thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it...' (Isaiah 30:21). Note the word 'behind'. This word comes after you obey God, letting you know you've made a good decision and that you're on the right track. Yes, you can be led by God. His Word says, 'The Lord watches over the path of the godly.'

Our Daily Bread

From my home in Colorado, I recently used Google Maps to “wander around” the neighborhood in Nairobi, Kenya, where my family lived 2 decades ago. A satellite image on my computer screen enabled me to identify roads, landmarks, and buildings. In some cases, I got a street-level view, as if I were standing on the ground there.
    It was quite a view, but only a small taste of how the Lord must see our world.
    The psalmist celebrated God’s view by writing these words: “The Lord looks from heaven; He sees all the sons of men. . . . He considers all their works. . . . The eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy, to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine” (33:13-19).
    Unlike an unfeeling satellite, the Lord sees with His heart of love as He considers who we are and what we do. The Bible reveals that He longs for us to trust Him and follow His way. We are never out of God’s sight, and He keeps a close eye on everyone whose hope is in Him.
    For all who know the Lord through faith in Jesus Christ, it’s encouraging to realize that every day we’re part of His amazing view.

Beneath His watchful eye
    His saints securely dwell;
    That hand which bears all nature up
    Shall guard His children well. —Doddridge

Keep your eyes on God; He never takes His eyes off you.

11. following-Him

Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) is the first of our two devotions today.

'Lord, Help Us to See'24 Jul 2011''Take a good look... at who you were when you got called...'' 1 Corinthians 1:26Jesus didn't see people as losers, but as potential winners who'd lost their way. He '...was moved with compassion for them...' (Mark 6:34 NKJV). He saw them through God's eyes, not weeds, but potential roses. And His perspective, which is often different from ours, brought out the best in them. Where others saw a woman with five failed marriages, He saw a restored sinner who could reach others in Samaria. They saw a blind man; He envisioned someone who could see. They saw a cripple; He pictured a man picking up his mat and walking away. They saw Matthew as a reviled tax collector; He saw a future disciple. They dismissed Zacchaeus as a crook; Jesus recognised a searching heart. When His disciples saw costly perfume and unnecessary expense, Jesus recognised the sacrifice of a grateful heart. Others saw an impulsive fisherman; Jesus saw a leader who could build His church. Onlookers watched Roman soldiers mocking as they pounded nails into human flesh; Jesus saw blind men who didn't know what they were doing. 'Lord, help us to see!' Paul says, '...think of what you were when you were called. Not many... were wise by human standards; not many were influential...[or] of noble birth' (1 Corinthians 1:26 NIV). Face it, you weren't so wonderful before God turned you around, so stop judging others from your limited perspective and try to see them as God saw you. Work to bring out the best in them. Introduce them to the One Who came to bring '...great joy to all the people' (Luke 2:10 NCV) - no
    exceptions!

Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org) is the second of our two devotionals today. I hope all who read these devotionals will find them a blessing.

My friend and I were traveling together, and she seemed a bit frazzled. When we got to the airport, she forgot to have her identification readily available and couldn’t find her reservation confirmation number. The ticket agent waited patiently, smiled, and then helped her at the “self” check-in. After receiving her ticket, she asked, “Where do we go next?” The agent smiled again, pointed at me, and said to her, “Stay close to your friend.”
    That can be good advice for all of us when our lives get frazzled—stay close to your friends. Although Jesus is our best friend, we also need relationships with fellow believers to help us survive in this life.
    In his first epistle, Peter was writing to believers who needed one another because they were suffering for their faith. In a few short sentences in chapter 4, Peter mentioned the need to receive and give “fervent love,” prayer, and hospitality (vv.7-9). He also included the need for believers to use their spiritual gifts to minister to one another (v.10). In other passages, we’re encouraged to comfort each other with the comfort we’ve been given by God (2 Cor. 1:3-4) and to build each other up in love (1 Thess. 5:11).
    When life gets difficult and we get frazzled, staying close to our Christian friends will help us to get through.

When our friends encounter trials,
    We can help them if we’re near;
    Some may need a word of comfort,
    Others just a listening ear. —Sper

Staying close to godly friends helps us to stay close to God.

12. following-Him

The devotionals today are taken from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

I hope they will be a blessing to you.

Word For Today

Use Your Time Wisely25 Jul 2011''Making the most of your time...'' Ephesians 5:16If you're wise you'll stop frequently and think about how you're spending your time. Charles Swindoll writes, 'In a book I read, The Time Trap, I came upon a list of the most popular time wasters. It helped to pinpoint some specific areas of inefficiency I must watch. Who hasn't heard the true story of Charles M. Schwab and Ivy Lee? Schwab was president of Bethlehem Steel. Lee, a consultant, was given the unusual challenge, "Show me a way to get more things done with my time." Schwab agreed to pay him "anything within reason"' if Lee's suggestions worked. Lee later handed the executive a sheet of paper with the plan: "Write down the most important tasks you have to do tomorrow. Number them in order of importance. When you arrive in the morning, begin at once on number one and stay on it until it is completed. Recheck your priorities, then begin with number two, then number three. Make this a habit every working day. Pass it on to those under you. Try it as long as you like, then send me your cheque for what you think it's worth."' That one idea turned Bethlehem Steel Corporation into the biggest independent steel producer in the world within five years. How much did Schwab pay his consultant? Several weeks after he received the note, he sent Lee a cheque for $25,000, admitting it was the most profitable lesson he had ever learned. Try it for yourself. If it works, great. But don't send me any money for the idea. I'd just blow it on another time-management book... which I don't have time to read.

Our Daily Bread

I always look forward to summer. The warm sunshine, baseball, beaches, and barbecues are pleasures that bring joy after a long, cold winter. But pleasure-seeking isn’t just seasonal. Don’t we all enjoy good food, engaging conversation, and a crackling fire?
    The desire for pleasure isn’t wrong. God has built us for it. Paul reminds us that God “gives us richly all things to enjoy” (1 Tim. 6:17). Other passages welcome us to the healthy pleasure of food, friends, and the intimacy of a marriage relationship. But thinking that we can find lasting pleasure in people and things is ultimately an empty pursuit.
    Ultimate pleasure is not found in the short-lived thrills our world offers, but rather in the long-term joy from a deepening intimacy with our Lord. King Solomon learned this the hard way. “I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure,” he admitted (Eccl. 2:10). But after his pleasure-seeking spree, he concluded: “All was vanity and grasping for the wind” (v.11). It’s no wonder he warned, “He who loves pleasure will be a poor man” (Prov. 21:17).
    What we are really looking for is satisfied only in a fulfilling and growing relationship with Jesus. Pursue Him and taste His delights!

The world is filled with so much good
    That brings us joy and pleasure,
    But true fulfillment only comes
    When Christ we love and treasure. —Sper

Are we living for our own pleasure,
    or living to please our heavenly Father?

13. following-Him

Today the devotionals come from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org). I hope they will be a blessing to all who read them.

Word For Today

Tell 'The Whole Truth'26 Jul 2011''...know the whole truth and tell it in love...'' Ephesians 4:15A teenager who'd just obtained his driver's licence told his parents he was meeting his friends at a local restaurant. But this particular restaurant had several locations and he drove to one 60 miles away. They say, 'What you don't expose, will expose you.' Unfortunately, his parents went shopping in that area the same evening. Imagine his thoughts when he stopped at anjunction, looked over, and saw his mum giving him that 'look' parents reserve for the worst offences! We need to '...keep everything we do and say out in the open, the whole truth on display...' (2 Corinthians 4:2 TM); speak the plain, unembellished truth, so people don't have to '...read between the lines or look for hidden meanings...' (2 Corinthians 1:13 TM). There are statements we instinctively disbelieve, like 'The cheque is in the post... the puppy won't be any trouble... I won't tell anybody.' Then there are '...lies so clever they sound like the truth' (Ephesians 4:14 NLT). For example, we want to be the good guy, so we leave out information that might put us in a bad light. Or to avoid upsetting somebody we stretch the truth. One Bible teacher writes, 'Solving problems in a relationship is one of the most important skills you'll ever learn. It makes for a successful family life, career, education, and social life. Unless we have these skills we'll never be truly happy. When you have a problem with someone, state it in a gentle, positive way. If you don't start right you'll have little hope of ending right.' So, 'grow up... know the whole truth and tell it in love'.

Our Daily Bread

Angie could not see through the fogged-up windows in her car. Inadvertently, she pulled out in front of a truck. The accident caused such damage to her brain that she could no longer speak or take care of herself.
    Over the years, I have been amazed at the resiliency of Angie’s parents. Recently I asked them, “How have you managed to get through this experience?” Her father thoughtfully responded, “In all honesty, the only way we have been able to do this is by drawing close to God. He gives us the strength we need to help us through.”
    Angie’s mother agreed and added that around the time of the accident their grieving was so deep that they wondered if they would ever have joy again. As they both leaned upon God, they experienced countless unexpected provisions for the physical and spiritual care of Angie and their entire family. Although Angie may never regain her ability to speak, she now responds to them with wide smiles and this gives them joy. Her parents’ favorite verse continues to be: “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning” (Ps. 30:5).
    Have you experienced extreme sorrow? There is the promise of future joy amid your tears as you lean upon our loving Lord.

New mercies every morning,
    Grace for every day,
    New hope for every trial,
    And courage all the way. —McVeigh

14. following-Him

Today the devotionals are taken from Word For Today, which can be found at www.ucb.co.uk and Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org

Word For Today

Getting Out of a Spiritual Slump (1)27 Jul 2011''As soon as they began singing...'' 2 Chronicles 20:22Here's a simple but effective formula for handling a spiritual slump. Praise your way out! David starts Psalm 22 by asking, 'God, why have You forsaken me?' and ends it saying, '...You... dwell... [where]... praises... [are offered]' (Psalm 22:3 AMP). You won't always feel like praising God - that's why it's called '...the sacrifice of praise...' (Hebrews 13:15). But when you're in a slump you need the discipline of praise more than ever. It brings a sense of God's power and presence like nothing else does. That's why the Psalmist wrote, 'I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth' (Psalm 34:1). By praising God in advance for the victory, you open a channel for Him to intervene in your circumstances, hope rises in your soul, and it's impossible to stay down and defeated. And praise fits every personality, so you've no excuse! You can clap and shout (Psalm 47:1), use music and dance (Psalm 150:4), sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs (Ephesians 5:19-20), make a joyful noise (Psalm 98:4), lift your hands (Psalm 134:2), be still before God (Psalm 4:3-5), and you can even be loud! (Psalm 33:3, 95:1-6). Your praises thwart the enemy's best-laid plan! When the Israelites were outnumbered, they prayed and God told them the battle was His and that He would do the fighting. Judah (which means 'praise') went out ahead of the army, and 'As soon as they began singing, the Lord confused the enemy... and... they turned against each other'. The minute you start praising God He releases His power to start working on your behalf.

Our Daily Bread

While traveling in a foreign country, my husband noticed that the paved roads had deep indentations. When he asked about them, our driver explained that they were caused by the tires of trucks carrying illegal, overweight loads. When stopped by police, the drivers paid bribes to avoid being fined. The truckers and police officers came out ahead financially, but other drivers and taxpayers were left with an unfair financial burden and the inconvenience of poor roads.
    Not all bribery is overt; some is more subtle. And not all bribes are financial. Flattery is a type of bribe that uses words as currency. If we give people preferential treatment for saying something nice about us, it’s similar to taking a bribe. To God, any kind of partiality is an injustice. He even made justice a condition of remaining in the Promised Land. The Israelites were not to pervert justice or show partiality (Deut. 16:19-20).
    Bribery deprives others of justice, which is an offense against the character of God, who is “God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality nor takes a bribe” (10:17).
    Thankfully, the Lord treats all of us alike, and He wants us to treat each other the same way.

It matters not what race or gender,
    Rich or poor or great or small,
    The God who made us is not partial;
    He sent Christ to die for all. —D. De Haan

Bribery displays partiality; love displays justice.

15. following-Him

Today the message comes from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

Getting Out of a Spiritual Slump (2)28 Jul 2011''Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He talked with [God]...'' Genesis 35:14When you recall God's faithfulness to you it causes hope to rise in your soul. It enables you to face the future with confidence and say, '...He is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who... keep his commands' (Deuteronomy 7:9 NIV). Looking back and remembering is a scriptural principle that works. 'Jacob set up a pillar in the place where He talked with [God]'; 'Joshua set up twelve stones in the middle of the Jordan...' (Joshua 4:9 NAS); 'Samuel took a stone... set it up... and called [it]...Ebenezer, saying, '..."Thus far the Lord has helped us"' (1 Samuel 7:12 NKJV). The Bible says, 'No test... that comes your way is beyond... what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God... [will] always be there...' (1 Corinthians 10:13 TM). Going back through Scripture and remembering the ups and downs of God's people and how He consistently came through for them, lends fresh perspective to your own situation and enables you to see a bigger picture. In Psalm 22 David starts out saying, 'God... I call to you... but you do not answer' (v. 2 NCV). But as soon as he starts remembering God's faithfulness he does a 180-degree turn around and says, 'Our ancestors trusted you... and you saved them. They called to you for help and... were not disappointed' (vv. 4-5 NCV). When you're in a spiritual free fall, stop dwelling on yourself and your disappointment and begin to focus on God. '...Not one word has failed of all the good promises he gave...' (1 Kings 8:56 NIV). He's still the same; He hasn't
    changed.

Our Daily bread

A couple of years ago in our church we did a sermon series on the Old Testament tabernacle. Leading up to the message on the table of showbread, I did something I had never done before—I fasted from food for several days. I fasted because I wanted to experience the truth that “man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord” (Deut. 8:3). I wanted to deny myself something I love, food, for the God I love more. As I fasted, I followed Jesus’ teaching about fasting in Matthew 6:16-18.
    Jesus gave a negative command: “When you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance” (v.16). Then He gave a positive command about putting oil on your head and washing your face (v.17). The two commands taken together meant that they should not draw attention to themselves. Jesus was teaching that this was a private act of sacrificial worship that should not provide any room for religious pride. Finally, He gave a promise: Your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you (v.18).
    Although fasting isn’t required, in giving up something we love, we may have a deeper experience of the God we love. He rewards us with Himself.

Lord, we desire to walk closely with You every day.
    Help us to seek You diligently that we might
    know You intimately and follow You
    obediently. Amen.

Moving away from the table can bring us closer to the Father.

16. following-Him

Today the devotionals are taken from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org). I hope all who read them will find them a blessing.

Word For Today

Do You Know Why You're Living?29 Jul 2011''...for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world...'' John 18:37Jesus knew exactly why He lived: 'For this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth.' That's what He thought about, prayed about, planned for, worked towards, sacrificed for, died and rose again for, and finally accomplished. By fulfilling His destiny He changed the world for ever. So, do you know your destiny? What are you doing to achieve it? 'We are... created... to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do' (Ephesians 2:10 NIV). Does that sound like a life of aimless wandering with no known destination? The Bible says, 'A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps' (Proverbs 16:9 NKJV). Plan well, but always stay open to God's direction. '...All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be' (Psalm 139:16 NIV). God's plan for your life was set before you were a twinkle in your parents' eyes! If you fail to follow His path you'll miss His best for your life. The Bible is full of examples of people who crashed and burned at some point. King Saul is a great example. Recalling it, David, his successor, prayed, first, 'I desire to do your will...' (Psalm 40:8 NIV). Your desires are the driving force in life, so make sure they're in harmony with God. Second, he prayed, 'Teach me to do your will...' (Psalm 143:10 NIV). When it comes to doing God's will, the Psalmist acknowledged he needed God's help. You do too.

Our Daily Bread

Philosophers ponder, “What is the good life and who has it?” I instantly think of my good friend Roy.
    Roy was a gentle, quiet man who sought no recognition, who left the care of his life to his heavenly Father, and who occupied himself solely with his Father’s will. His was a heavenly perspective. As he often reminded me: “We are but sojourners here.”
    Roy passed away last fall. At his memorial service, friends reminisced over his influence on their lives. Many spoke of his kindness, selfless giving, humility, and gentle compassion. He was, for many, a visible expression of God’s unconditional love.
    After the service, Roy’s son drove to the assisted-living facility where his father lived out his final days. He gathered up his dad’s belongings: two pairs of shoes, a few shirts and pants, and a few odds and ends—the sum of Roy’s earthly goods—and delivered them to a local charity. Roy never had what some would consider the good life, but he was rich toward God in good deeds. George MacDonald wrote, “Which one is the possessor of heaven and earth: He who has a thousand houses, or he who, with no house to call his own, has ten at which his knock arouses instant jubilation?”
    Roy’s was the good life after all.

Let us be Christ’s true disciples
    Looking to another’s need;
    Making stony pathways smoother
    By a gentle word or deed. —Thorson

No one can know the good life without God.

17. following-Him

Our two devotionals today are taken from Word For Today, which can be found at www.ucb.co.uk and Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org

I hope they will be a blessing to all who read them.

Word For Today

Living without Regret30 Jul 2011''...that I may finish my race with joy...'' Acts 20:24Imagine your life is over and you're standing in front of a big DVD player. God inserts a disc with your name on it labelled 'What might have been'. It details everything He wanted to accomplish through you: How He wanted to bless you financially, but you were afraid to sow into His kingdom and be generous with others; how He wanted to use your gifts, but you lacked the discipline to develop them and the courage to use them; how He gave you great relationships, but you weren't truthful and loving enough to maintain them; how He longed to reproduce in you the character of Christ, but you refused to deal with your sin, resist temptation, and pursue spiritual growth. The poet said, 'Of all the sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these - it might have been.' But there's a bright side. As long as you're still breathing, you can close the gap between what is and what can be. So stop and ask yourself, 'What can I do now to live without regrets later?' Here's what: start renewing your mind each day with God's Word instead of filling it with junk. Use your talents and your treasures to build His kingdom instead of your own. If you do, you'll discover that God gives '...seed to the sower...' (2 Corinthians 9:10 NIV). The more seed you sow, the more seed God will give you. And how about making time to disciple somebody? That way your legacy will be greater than your lifespan. It's not too late to become the person you might have been - if you're willing to start today.

Our Daily Bread

One day I bought an inexpensive model of the solar system for my son. Installing it required me to suspend each planet from the ceiling. After bending up and down several times, I was lightheaded and tired. Hours later, we heard a “plink” as Jupiter hit the floor.
    Later that night, I thought about how our flimsy replica fell apart, yet Jesus sustains the actual universe. “He is before all things, and in Him all things consist” (Col. 1:17). The Lord Jesus holds our world together, maintaining the natural laws that rule the galaxy. Our Creator also upholds “all things by the word of His power” (Heb. 1:3). Jesus is so mighty that He keeps the universe in order simply by commanding it to be so!
    As amazing as this is, Jesus is more than a cosmic caretaker. He sustains us too. He “gives life and breath to everything, and He satisfies every need” (Acts 17:25 NLT). While Jesus sometimes provides for us differently than we might expect, our Savior keeps us going whether we are brokenhearted, in need of money, or enduring illness.
    Until the day He calls us home, we can trust that the One who keeps Jupiter from falling is the One who holds us up as well.

Awesome is our God and King,
    Who upholds the stars above;
    We now bow before His throne,
    Thanking Him for His great love. —D. De Haan

The God who sustains the universe sustains me.

18. following-Him

The devotionals today are taken from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

How to Avoid Burnout31 Jul 2011''...the bush burned... yet was not consumed.'' Exodus 3:2Remember the story of the burning bush? It burned, but it didn't burn out. Some people who once burned for God have burned out. Loyal workers in the church for years, suddenly they vanish. Herbert J. Freudenberger, a psychologist, describes burnout as 'fatigue brought about by devotion to a cause that failed to produce the expected reward'. So how can you avoid burnout? First, seek God's input. 'If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault...' (James 1:5 NIV). God is an expert; consult Him. Second, realign your priorities. Too many irons in the fire mean none of them gets adequate attention. Learn to say no. Your family will appreciate it, even if others don't. Third, practise the art of thanksgiving. Freudenberger says, 'Get into the habit of noticing - and nurturing - the unspectacular good things that happen to you.' Next, learn the art of physical relaxation. Take ten or twenty minutes at the end of the day to sit in a comfortable chair and enjoy a good stretch. Coax your body and mind to relax. Imagine yourself basking on a warm beach. How about exercising? It's one of the best antibiotics for burnout. But pick what works for you, not what stresses you. You could develop your own relief devices; take a walk; read a good book; try a little creative loafing. As James Thurber quipped, 'It's better to have loafed and lost, than never to have loafed at all.' Finally, find someone to share with. Shutting yourself off increases the problem rather than solving it. Find someone you trust to talk with.

Our Daily Bread

In an effort to assist people struggling to provide for their families during tough economic times, the church I attend created a program called “Free 4 All.”
    We brought lightly used items to the church and opened the doors to people of the community. They could come and take home anything they needed.
    While the day was a huge success as far as the amount of goods people were able to pick up, it was even better for this reason: Six people trusted Jesus Christ as Savior at the event. Indeed, these six new believers took part in the greatest “Free 4 All” of all time—the offer of salvation through Jesus Christ.
    The items that were taken to the church on this special day had already been purchased. They were then given without cost to all who simply asked for them. Likewise, eternal forgiveness for our sins has already been purchased. Jesus paid that price when He died on a cross on Golgotha’s hill 2,000 years ago (Rom. 3:23-25). He now offers salvation at no cost to all who simply repent and believe that Jesus has the power to forgive and save (Acts 16:31).
    Each of us is needy spiritually—and only Jesus can meet that need. Have you accepted what He offers without cost at the world’s biggest “Free 4 All”?

I know by faith in whom I have believed,
    I know that God’s free gift I have received,
    I know that He will keep me to the end,
    My Savior, my Redeemer, and my Friend. —Anon.

Salvation is free, but you must receive it.

19. following-Him

The devotionals for today are taken from Word For Today, which can be found at www.ucb.co.uk and Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org

I hope they will be a blessing to you :)

Word For Today

Bring Out the Best in Others (1)01 Aug 2011'Be strong and of good courage...' Deuteronomy 31:6Over and over in Scripture God says things like, 'Be strong and of good courage, do not...be afraid...for the Lord...goes with you' (Deuteronomy 31:6 NKJV). Why? To bring out the best in us! The history books are full of stories of gifted people whose talents were overlooked until someone believed in them. Einstein was four years old before he could speak. Isaac Newton did poorly in primary school. A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney because he had 'no good ideas'. Tolstoy dropped out of college. There's a lesson here: people develop at different rates. To motivate them you must always be on the outlook for hidden capacities. Your words create an environment in which people not only discover their gifts, but also develop and excel in them. John Erskine, Professor of English at Colombia University, was an educator, concert pianist, author of 60 books, president of the Juilliard School of Music, and a popular and witty lecturer. Writing about that remarkable career, his wife, Helen, attributed it to his 'defiant optimism'. 'He was a good teacher,' she said, 'because of his own excitement for learning and his trust in the future.' He would say to her, 'Let's tell our young people that the best books are yet to be written; the best paintings have not yet been painted; the best governments are yet to be formed; the best is yet to be done by them.' Within every human being there is a God-given drive to achieve something. If you tap into that drive and demonstrate that you believe in their future, they'll do almost anything to live up to your expectations.

Our Daily bread

Someone once said, “The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.” I like that; it’s a great reminder. In the book of Acts, Luke summarized Jesus’ earthly ministry by saying that He “went about doing good” (10:38).
    What does the Bible mean when it tells us to “do good”? Jesus did good by teaching, healing, feeding, and comforting people. Using Jesus as the perfect example, His followers are called to meet the needs of others, including those who hate them: “Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you” (Matt. 5:44; see also Luke 6:27-35). They are to serve their enemies without expecting anything in return.
    Moreover, as opportunity arises, His followers are to do good especially to fellow believers (Gal. 6:10). They are not to let persecution, selfishness, and busyness cause them to forget to do good and to share what they have with others (Heb. 13:16).
    To be like our Savior and His early followers, we should ask ourselves each day: “What good thing can I do today in Jesus’ name?” When we do good, we will be offering a sacrifice that pleases God (Heb. 13:16) and that draws people to Him (Matt. 5:16).

From the example of Jesus,
    Who went about doing good,
    We are to honor our Savior
    By helping wherever He would. —Hess

Imitate Jesus—go about doing good.

20. following-Him

Today's devotionals are taken from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org).

I hope they will be a blessing to all who read them.

Word For Today.

Bring Out the Best in Others (2)02 Aug 2011'Be strong and of good courage...' Deuteronomy 31:6In the musical My Fair Lady, Eliza Doolittle, a common flower girl, becomes an elegant lady who mixes with England's high society. How did it happen? Because Henry Higgins, the eminent linguistics professor, treated her like a lady - and she began living up to his expectations. Alan Loy McGinnis writes, 'I was once waiting to speak at a sales conference where the year's awards were being given. One woman, who'd performed spectacularly and made an extraordinary amount of money, gave all the credit to her sales manager. As she stood before a crowd of 3,000 people, clutching the award for best producer of the year, she recalled the slump she'd been in for two years previously. The future looked so bleak that she was ready to resign, and had even called her supervisor several times to quit. But the manager kept persuading her that she hadn't tried long enough, that she would not have been hired if there had not been unusual potential in her. Her voice cracked as she related the story. Then she made this insightful remark: "For all those months when I wanted to quit and didn't think I had any future, Joan believed in me more than I believed in myself. She wanted me to succeed even more than I did." ' One of the attributes of true Christian character is a willingness to encourage and lift people: '...I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you' (Isaiah 41:13 NIV). So, in your dealings with others, are you problem-focused or possibility-focused?

Our Daily Bread

A few years ago I had some tests to screen for cancer, and I was nervous about the outcome. My anxiety was magnified as I thought about the fact that while the medical personnel were well-trained and extremely competent, they were also strangers who had no relationship with me.
    After awakening from the anesthesia, however, I heard the beautiful sound of my wife’s voice: “It’s great, Honey. They didn’t find anything.” I looked up at her smiling face and was comforted. I needed the assurance of someone who loved me.
    A similar assurance lies ahead for all who have trusted Jesus. Believers can be comforted in knowing that when they wake up in heaven, One who loves them greatly—Jesus—will be there.
    The Book of Common Prayer expresses this Christian hope: “After my awakening, [my Redeemer] will raise me up; and in my body I shall see God. I myself shall see, and eyes behold Him who is my friend and not a stranger.”
    Do you have trouble facing mortality? Jesus promised to be there when we slip from this world into the next. He said, “Where I am [heaven], there you may be also” (John 14:3). What a comfort for believers to know that after death we will be awakened by a close Friend.

What wonders await us in yonder fair land!
    The face of our Savior, the touch of His hand,
    No tears and no crying, no sighs or despair,
    For Jesus is waiting to welcome us there. —Kerr

To see Jesus will be heaven’s greatest joy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.