1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Carpenter's Chapel (9)

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by DHK, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

The devotionals for the day are Word For Today(www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

Bring Out the Best in Others (3)03 Aug 2011'Be strong and of good courage...' Deuteronomy 31:6Anne Sullivan, teacher of Helen Keller, tried again and again to teach her the concept of words. The gifted tutor worked tirelessly to draw out of Helen the treasures buried deep inside her. She literally 'willed' Helen to succeed. Watching this relationship in the powerful play, The Miracle Worker, you see Helen begin to blossom and develop gifts that would inspire the world for generations to come. Understand this: God uses the encouraging words, actions and attitudes we direct at each other to strengthen our inner resolve to succeed. But to be effective, your praise should be immediate, specific and genuine. Dr William Mayo, co-founder of the famous Mayo Clinic, used praise to encourage young doctors. One of them said, 'You'd read a paper at a staff meeting and afterwards he'd see you in the lift or the hall, and would shake your hand and put his hand on your shoulder with a quiet, "Good work," and a straight, warm look that made you think he meant it. Or perhaps a day or two later you'd get a note from him, just a short one, saying something like, "Dear ________, I learned more about _________ from that paper of yours the other night than I ever knew before. It was a good job." Believe me, a fellow prized those notes.' Praise, practical help, encouragement - all of these flow out of us naturally and genuinely when we begin to see, as Anne Sullivan saw, the untapped potential buried inside each individual. That's why the Bible says, '...Let everything you say be... helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them' (Ephesians 4:29 NLT).

Our Daily Bread

Jerry McMorris began reading the Wall Street Journal 50 years ago as a student at the University of Colorado. His appreciation for that publication and for his alma mater led him to donate hundreds of WSJ subscriptions for CU’s business school students. McMorris told the Colorado Springs Gazette: “The Journal gave me a good, broad perspective of what was going on in the business world, and I got into the habit of reading it at the start of my business day. It helps get across to students real business-world issues.”
    Many people enjoy introducing others to the writings that have shaped their lives. It’s not surprising, then, that followers of Christ enjoy sharing God’s Word with others. Some support Bible translation and distribution while others invite friends to study the Word with them. There are many ways to pass along God’s truth to people hungering for encouragement and help. Our goal is to enable others to experience the great benefit we’ve found in knowing Christ and being guided by His Word. The psalmist said, “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple” (19:7).
    The Word of God, which guards our hearts and guides our steps, is worth sharing with others.

As we read Your Word, O Lord,
    Our spirit will be fed;
    We then can share with others
    That precious living bread. —D. De Haan

The Bible: Know it in your head, stow it in your heart, show it in your life, sow it in the world.

2. following-Him

The devotionals today are taken from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

I hope they will be a blessing to all who read them.

Word For Today

Bring Out the Best in Others (4)04 Aug 2011'Be strong and of good courage...' Deuteronomy 31:6Your words and attitudes have a powerful effect on other people. The woman caught in adultery is a case in point (John 8 NIV). Observe how the Pharisees handled her: 'The Law [of] Moses commanded us to stone such women' (v. 5). How different Jesus' attitude was! Looking at her with compassion, He said, 'Neither do I condemn you... Go now and leave your life of sin' (v. 11). Lifted, redeemed, empowered - you can't help but believe she spent the rest of her days trying to live up to Christ's view of her. The mandate to 'encourage one another' and 'build each other up' is woven throughout the New Testament. All of us need reassurance and appreciation. So why do we sometimes pocket the praise we should pass on to others, or sidestep the practical help we could offer to open the way for them to succeed? Sometimes it's simply because we're lazy, or selfish, or we fall into the habit of taking people for granted. Sometimes it's just easier to find fault. We underestimate the impact our words and attitudes can have on another person, or we assume our approval is obvious. Are we afraid our praise might be a stumbling block, causing pride in them? Jesus didn't fear that when He hailed Nathanael, 'Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is nothing false' (John 1:47 NIV). What a compliment! The truth is, more people die of broken hearts than swelled heads. So ask God today for an opportunity to offer genuine praise to someone in your life. Ask Him to use you to come alongside them, and encourage them towards their
    goal.

Our Daily bread

Jerry McMorris began reading the Wall Street Journal 50 years ago as a student at the University of Colorado. His appreciation for that publication and for his alma mater led him to donate hundreds of WSJ subscriptions for CU’s business school students. McMorris told the Colorado Springs Gazette: “The Journal gave me a good, broad perspective of what was going on in the business world, and I got into the habit of reading it at the start of my business day. It helps get across to students real business-world issues.”
    Many people enjoy introducing others to the writings that have shaped their lives. It’s not surprising, then, that followers of Christ enjoy sharing God’s Word with others. Some support Bible translation and distribution while others invite friends to study the Word with them. There are many ways to pass along God’s truth to people hungering for encouragement and help. Our goal is to enable others to experience the great benefit we’ve found in knowing Christ and being guided by His Word. The psalmist said, “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple” (19:7).
    The Word of God, which guards our hearts and guides our steps, is worth sharing with others.

As we read Your Word, O Lord,
    Our spirit will be fed;
    We then can share with others
    That precious living bread. —D. De Haan

The Bible: Know it in your head, stow it in your heart, show it in your life, sow it in the world.

3. following-Him

The devotionals today are Word For Today, which can be found at www.ucb.co.uk and Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org

I hope you will be blessed by reading them.

Word For Today

Your Best Days Are Still Ahead05 Aug 2011'..."Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara..."' Ruth 1:20Learn to build your life around your person, not your role, otherwise when your role changes you'll lose your sense of worth. Being a good mother is a noble calling. It's also a self-sacrificing job. But when your children leave home and those demands are over, it's easy to feel like Naomi did. Her name meant 'my joy' But after her two sons died she changed her name to Mara, which means 'bitterness'. Don't allow changing times to change who you are, or to make you stop dreaming and give up hope. God still had a lot for Naomi to do. In the future she would mentor Ruth, who would give birth to a son who was destined to grow up and become part of the lineage of King David and our blessed Lord. What an honour! When your role changes, remember that your life's not over. See your own worth as a person, discover your next assignment, gather up your assets and keep on living and giving. Don't develop a 'Mara mentality'. She allowed herself to become cynical when her circumstances changed; don't let that happen to you! Discouragement often comes when we feel like we've seen it all, heard it all, done it all, and most of it was bad. No matter how old you are, you can never say you've seen it all. God can do '...exceeding abundantly above all that [you] ask or think...' (Ephesians 3:20). You don't know what God will do with your life before it's over, but He has a way of saving the best for the last.

Our Daily Bread

When our youngest son joined the Army, we knew that challenges lay ahead. We knew that he would face danger and be tested physically, emotionally, and spiritually. We also knew that in some ways our home would never fully be his home again. In the months leading up to his departure, my wife and I steeled ourselves for these challenges.
    Then the day came when Mark had to report. We hugged and said our goodbyes, and then he walked into the recruiting station, leaving me with a moment for which I was decidedly unprepared. The pain of that hard goodbye felt unbearable. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, I can’t remember when I have wept as hard as I did that day. The hard goodbye, and the sense of loss it delivered, cut me to the heart.
    In such moments, I am thankful to have a heavenly Father who knows what it is to be separated from a beloved Son. I am thankful to have a God who is described as “a father of the fatherless, a defender of widows” (Ps. 68:5). I believe that if He cares for the orphaned and the widows in their loneliness, He will also care for me and comfort me—even in those moments when I face the struggles that accompany hard goodbyes.

When our loved ones say goodbye
    And we have to be apart,
    God can fill our loneliness
    With His presence in our heart. —Sper

Loneliness comes when we forget
    about the One who is always with us.

4. following-Him

Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) is the first of our devotionals today and it is followed by Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org). I hope you will find them a blessing to you.

Word For Today

Don't Be Afraid, Put God First06 Aug 2011'"...I have commanded a widow... to provide for you."' 1 Kings 17:9When famine hit Israel, God said to the prophet Elijah, 'Go to Zarephath... I have commanded a widow there to provide for you.' Observe three things in this story. First, when the need arises, your provision will be in place. That's how God works, so ask Him to tell you where to go and what to do. And when He does, get moving! Second, the people God uses will surprise you. Sometimes they're people you would tend to overlook. This penniless widow had '"...only a handful of flour... and a little oil..."' (1 Kings 17:12 NKJV). That's no problem to God. He doesn't need much to start with in order to do something great, just a willing heart. Why didn't God send Elijah to a wealthy family? Because they didn't need a miracle - she did. When God's work has a need He looks for someone with a seed, stretches their faith, and both the giver and God's work are blessed. Finally, your 'bad time' is often God's opportune moment. This miracle took place in the middle of an economic depression. What seems like the worst possible time for you is when God loves to move. This woman was only one meal away from death; it doesn't get much worse. 'So, she went away and did according to the word of Elijah... she and... her household ate for many days. The bin of flour was not used up, nor did the jar of oil run dry...' (1 Kings 17:15-16 NKJV). The key to her miracle is found in Elijah's words: '..."Do not fear... but make me a small cake from it first..."' (1 Kings 17:13 NKJV). The Word for you today is this: don't be afraid; put God first and He will meet your need.

Our Daily Bread

Toni was looking for what wasn’t really lost, and she found what she wasn’t looking for. As a result, a group of people got a spiritual boost they weren’t expecting.
    Toni, who conducts a Bible study in a drug and alcohol rehabilitation clinic in Alaska, was looking for her husband’s missing driver’s license. As she retraced his steps from the previous day, she visited a hospital. The missing license wasn’t there, but a Christian high school chorale was, and Toni was touched by their worshipful singing. She asked the director if the teens could sing for her Bible-study group that evening. They could, and they did—bringing hope, joy, and God’s love through music and post-concert conversation to some folks trying to put their lives back together.
    Oh, and that driver’s license? Toni found it on a chair when she got back home. Apparently, the only reason she went out that day was so God could direct her to hear a bunch of teens who could minister to her rehab group.
    When God guides us (Prov. 16:9), He works in ways we can’t predict. He can use even our inconveniences to bring honor to His name. When we face a seeming nuisance in our day, perhaps we should look not just for what we think we want but also for what God has for us that day.

Between the circumstance and me,
    A Father’s loving hand
    Is working all things for my good—
    All moves at His command. —Anon.

God is behind the scenes and
    controls the scenes He stands behind.

5. following-Him

The devotionals today come from the Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org).

Word For Today

You've Got to Work for It!07 Aug 2011'...though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again...' Proverbs 24:16Why is it that failure destroys some people, yet makes others stronger? The secret perhaps is that they allow failure to become their teacher, and turn their defeats into learning experiences. Wilma Rudolph was the twentieth of 22 children born into an impoverished black family in Tennessee. As a child, she had polio and was forced to wear leg braces until she was nine. At twelve, she tried out for her school's basketball team and failed. For the next year she practised every day until she finally made the team. A college athletics coach spotted her one day and talked her into letting him train her to be a sprinter. Her persistence earned her a scholarship to Tennessee State University where she became a track star. In 1960, she made the US Olympic team. In the 100-metre sprint she had to face Jutta Heine of Germany, the world record holder. But Wilma won - and she did it again in the 200-metre event! Wilma's third race was the 100-metre relay, where she again faced Jutta. Just as the baton was handed to Wilma she dropped it, giving Jutta the lead. But her never-give-up spirit made her pick up the baton and take off in desperate pursuit. She caught the German runner in the last few strides and won the third gold medal - more than any other woman had won at that time. Wilma became a grandmother and travelled the world for children's causes, motivating them with her story. 'I let them know,' she says, 'that they can achieve it, as long as they're willing to work for it.'

Our Daily Bread

I discovered rather quickly that a young boy quoting Scripture in a children’s program at church didn’t know much about the Bible. He was quoting Ephesians 6:17 from our study on spiritual armor: “Take . . . the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.”
    When he tried quoting the reference, he said, “I didn’t think I needed to memorize the numbers, since that’s just the time of day.” That’s what he thought the numbers meant since it was close to 6:17 p.m. at the time! I smiled, opened my Bible, and showed him that the numbers refer to the chapter and verse.
    While knowing the Bible reference is helpful, hiding God’s Word in our hearts is what is truly important (Ps. 119:11). Memorizing Scripture allows us to have it in mind so we can ward off Satan’s attacks (Eph. 6:10-18). For instance, when the devil tempted Jesus in the wilderness, Christ withstood him by quoting the Scriptures (Matt. 4:1-11). Likewise, when we are tempted to disobey God, we can recall what we’ve learned and choose to obey. We can also share the teachings of the Word with others to encourage them to trust Him too.
    No matter what time of day it is, we should always take the spiritual armor of the Word of God with us.

For Further Study
    What specific temptations do you face? Look in a
    concordance in the back of a Bible for verses that can
    guide you in those situations. Review them often.

No evil can penetrate the armor of God.

6. following-Him

The devotionals today are taken from Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org) and Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk).

I hope they will be a blessing to you.

Our Daily Bread

I have a good friend I fish with now and then. He’s a very thoughtful man. After climbing into his waders and boots and gathering up his gear, he sits on the tailgate of his truck and scans the river for 15 minutes or more, looking for rising fish. “No use fishing where they ain’t,” he says. This makes me think of another question: “Do I fish for souls where they ain’t?”
    It was said of Jesus that He was “a friend of tax collectors and sinners” (Luke 7:34). As Christians, we are to be unlike the world in our behavior, but squarely in it as He was. So we have to ask ourselves: Do I, like Jesus, have friends who are sinners? If I have only Christian friends, I may be fishing for souls “where they ain’t.”
    Being with nonbelievers is the first step in “fishing.” Then comes love—a heart-kindness that sees beneath the surface of their off-hand remarks and listens for the deeper cry of the soul. It asks, “Can you tell me more about that?” and follows up with compassion. “There is much preaching in this friendliness,” pastor George Herbert (1593–1633) said.
    Such love is not a natural instinct. It comes solely from God. And so we pray: “Lord, when I am with nonbelievers today, may I become aware of the cheerless voice, the weary countenance, or the downcast eyes that I, in my natural self-preoccupation, could easily overlook. May I have a love that springs from and is rooted in Your love. May I listen to others, show Your compassion, and speak Your truth today.”

We are to be channels of God’s truth— not reservoirs.

Word For Today

The Three Tenses of Faith08 Aug 2011'But I know, that even now... God will give it thee.' John 11:22When their brother Lazarus died, Mary and Martha sent for Jesus. Notice the three tenses of faith at work in this story. First, the past tense. Heartbroken, Martha said to Jesus, '..."If You had been here, my brother would not have died"' (John 11:21 NKJV). That's called 'if only' faith. We say things like 'If only I'd lived in the days of Jesus', or 'If only I could be prayed for by a certain person'. 'If only' faith plans for a funeral, not a resurrection. Second, the future tense. When Jesus told Martha that Lazarus would live again, she replied, '..."I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day"' (John 11:24 NKJV). This is called 'some day' faith. People who have it tend to sing, 'In the sweet by and by'. With them, everything belongs to the future. But you need to know your rights, your privileges and your authority as a believer in Christ - right now. When you do, your outlook will begin to change. Finally, the present tense. Martha said, 'But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You' (John 11:22 NKJV). This is 'even now' faith. In spite of all you've been through, God has the power to raise you up again. You may have been divorced; you may have lost your job or your home; you may be struggling with stubborn habits; you may be living with a sense of failure. It doesn't matter. 'Even now', by God's grace and power, you can come out of this experience and live again. You can fulfil your hopes and dreams. All you have to do is pray and invite Jesus into your situation.

7. following-Him

Our devotionals for today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bred (www.odb.org).

Word For Today

Pour Out Your Heart in Worship09 Aug 2011'...she poured it on Jesus' feet...' John 12:3The Bible says, 'Mary took... expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But one of his disciples... objected, "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor?..."' (John 12:3-5 NIV). When it came to worship, Mary 'let down her hair' and filled the house with the fragrance of her praise. And Jesus accepted it! There's a lesson here. Put aside your preconceived notions, your self-consciousness and concern over what others think, and pour out your heart in worship. Join the Psalmist: '...my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands' (Psalm 63:3-4 NIV). When people try to intimidate and silence you, don't let them. When they tried it with Jesus, He rebuked them and said, '..."If they keep quiet, the stones will cry out"' (Luke 19:40 NIV). You can never worship God too exuberantly, for God knows - even if your critics don't - that the rocks will cry out. Nothing builds intimacy like words of love and appreciation. There will always be a Judas around who'll say, 'What a waste!' When you take time to stand and bathe your soul in the presence of God, they will say, 'What a waste of time; what a waste of effort.' That's because they don't understand two things: what God saved and delivered you from; and that worship is how you enter, how you enjoy, and how you thrive in the presence of God.

Our Daily Bread

During a demonstration of sheep- herding using a Border Collie, the dog trainer explained that because sheep are highly vulnerable to wild animals, their main defense against predators is to stay together in a tightly knit group. “A sheep alone is a dead sheep,” the trainer said. “The dog always keeps the sheep together as it moves them.”
    The biblical image of God as our shepherd is a powerful reminder of how much we need each other in the community of faith. When writing about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, the psalmist said, “[God] made His own people go forth like sheep, and guided them in the wilderness like a flock; and He led them on safely, so that they did not fear” (Ps. 78:52-53).
    As part of God’s flock, we who have trusted Christ are under His guiding, protecting hand while being surrounded by the shielding presence of others. We are part of a larger body of believers in which there is safety and accountability.
    While we don’t give up our personal responsibility for thought and action as members of the flock, we are to embrace the concept of “we” rather than “me” in our daily lives. With Christ as our Shepherd and fellow believers around us, we find safety in the flock.

Blest be the tie that binds
    Our hearts in Christian love!
    The fellowship of kindred minds
    Is like to that above. —Fawcett

As part of God’s flock, we’re protected by Him and by each other.

8. following-Him

Today the devotionals are taken from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

Knowing Your Spiritual Gifts10 Aug 2011'All these are the work of... the same Spirit...' 1 Corinthians 12:11After listing various spiritual gifts, Paul writes, 'All these are the work of... the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.' You say, 'How do I know what my spiritual gift is?' One Bible teacher answers, 'If I walk, live, and am filled with the Spirit, it is not too important for me to understand the definition of my gift. It isn't an academic issue; it's a matter of getting down on your knees and asking the Spirit of God to dominate and control your life. As you yield to Him, the Spirit of God operates through you, and that will be your area of ministry. So the best way to know your gifted area is not to figure it out and then do it, but to walk in the Spirit and then look back and say, "So that's what I do." When I was in high school a lady wanted to paint my portrait. I remember that she had a palette in her hand. On the palette she had some primary colours which she squirted out of some tubes. Then she began to mix all those colours together. It was amazing to see the various combinations that came out of those primary colours. Finally she began to paint them on the canvas. This is exactly how spiritual gifts function. The Holy Spirit has a palette. On it are some primary gifts. They are the gifts listed in Scripture. But by the time they are squeezed around there is a mixture. Each one becomes a very unique portrait.'

Our Daily Bread

My friend Jeff was asked by his daughter to officiate at her wedding. This would be a great joy as they traveled to an exotic and romantic location for the ceremony. But there was one major problem—because the wedding party was very small, Jeff would have to perform three separate roles that could be in conflict. He would be the officiating minister, the father of the bride, and the wedding photographer!
    Have you ever felt as if you were wearing too many hats? Jethro thought his son-in-law Moses was (Ex. 18). Leading the Israelites, arbitrating personal disputes, and handing down legal judgments for a great multitude was taking its toll. Finally, Jethro approached Moses, telling him: “This thing is too much for you; you are not able to perform it by yourself” (v.18). He wisely counseled Moses to delegate smaller disputes to other advisors and take the more challenging cases himself (v.22).
    Whether you’re a mother with small children, an overwhelmed business executive, or an overworked church volunteer, you too can take a lesson from Moses. Why not prayerfully discern if there may be tasks you can delegate to others or even discontinue—so that you don’t wear yourself out.

Father, we need help with our priorities.
    Teach us to understand what’s most important and
    needs to be accomplished, and to let go of what we can
    so that we are at our best for You. Amen.

If we don’t come apart and rest awhile,
    we may just plain come apart! —Havner

9. following-Him

Today's devotionals are take from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

The Stink or the Storm11 Aug 2011'Let my prayer be... as incense...' Psalm 141:2Noah's ark is a picture of your church. It wasn't a luxury liner; can you imagine spending a year in that ark with all those animals, and just one window? But Noah had only two options - the stink or the storm. So what's the relevance here? That there are no perfect churches! Furthermore, if you found one and joined it, you'd ruin it! We all love to talk about the power of the New Testament church, but what about its problems? They had hypocrites. Remember Ananias and Sapphira? They had financial scandals (Acts 5). They had doctrinal differences that almost split the church down the middle (Acts 15). And they had moral problems. They actually had a man belonging to the Corinthian church who was sleeping with his stepmother (1 Corinthians 5). So what should you do when there's a big stink in your church? First, don't spread it. 'And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins' (1 Peter 4:8 NKJV). Second, work for reconciliation. '...If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself...' (Galatians 6:1 TM). Third, burn incense. When the lamps in the tabernacle were snuffed out each evening they left a bad smell, so God commanded Moses to burn incense. Don't be discouraged when 'flesh acts like flesh'. And don't be part of the problem by being immature; instead, be part of the solution. The Psalmist said, 'Let my prayer be set before You as incense.' When problems arise in your church, you should pray, walk according to God's Word, and believe Him to bring good out of the situation.

Our Daily Bread

Things were off to a great start for Jesus at the beginning of His ministry. In Matthew 3, He was baptized and heard the affirming words of His Father, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (v.17). But then things took a turn for the worse.
    What happened next—Jesus’ temptation in the wilderness—was not a mere coincidence. The Holy Spirit led Him into this face-off between the powers of heaven and hell. Thankfully, Jesus’ victory in the face of temptation provides a great example when we find ourselves in the wilderness of Satan’s sinister seductions.
    Notice that the tempter caught Jesus at a time when He was tired and hungry. Satan uses the same tactic with us. Waiting for those vulnerable moments, he lures us with the bait of seductive suggestions that offer quick relief and opportunities for self-advancement. When facing such challenges, it’s important to follow Jesus’ example—throw “the Book” at Satan! Jesus responded to temptation by quoting Scripture: “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” (Matt. 4:4; see Deut. 8:3). The Bible is full of verses about lust, greed, lying, and other sins. If we tuck them away in our memory, we can use them when under attack. It’s our best chance for success!

If we never faced the tempter
    With his sharp and fiery sting,
    We would never know the victory
    That our trust in God can bring. —Robert

When Satan strikes, strike back with the Word of God.

10. following-Him

The devotionals today are taken from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org). I hope they will be a blessing to all who read them.

Word For Today

Limping12 Aug 2011'...the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint...' Genesis 32:25God uses people such as Jacob who, spiritually speaking, walk with a limp. After years of wrestling with stubborn issues, they've been radically changed by God's power; now they're able to minister to those they couldn't have reached before. God also uses people such as Paul, who said, '...there was given me a thorn in my flesh...to torment me' (2 Corinthians 12:7 NIV). When Paul asked God to remove this thorn, God said, '..."[No,] My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness"...' (2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV). No doubt, that's the last thing Paul wanted to hear. Understand this: God loves to use people who walk with a limp, or who are locked into thorny situations they can't escape. Why? Because when they're blessed they don't become arrogant like some who think they deserve it. They're a little warmer, and a little more willing to reach out and embrace others. Today God is looking for people with enough compassion to ask, 'How are you?' then stop long enough to listen to the answer! When people have been hurt they need extra love and attention. They need to be held a little closer and prayed over a little longer. After all, that's what God did for you; now it's your turn to do it for somebody else. And yes, you'll have to be patient and overcome their reluctance to trust you. Because they feel betrayed and 'used' they struggle with doubts and resentments. But don't give up on them: 'Love never fails...' (1 Corinthians 13:8 NKJV). If you keep loving them, God will use you to bring them healing and hope.

Our Daily Bread

A 60-year-old hotel in Kansas is being renovated into apartments. A rusty ship that is docked in Philadelphia is being restored and may become a hotel or a museum. Hangar 61, an admired piece of architecture at the old Stapleton Airport in Colorado, is being transformed into a church. Each structure had a specific use that is no longer viable. Yet someone was able to see promise and a new purpose in each one.
    If structures can find new life and purpose, why not people? Think about these men in the Bible whose lives took an unexpected direction. There was Jacob, who wrestled with the angel of the Lord (Gen. 32); Moses, who talked to a burning bush (Ex. 3); Paul, who was temporarily blinded (Acts 9). Their stories were different, but all had a change of purpose when their encounter with God sent them down a new path.
    We too may experience circumstances that change the course of our lives. But God reminds us of this: I loved you before you loved Me. I want to give you hope and a future. Give all your worries to Me because I care about you (1 John 4:19; Jer. 29:11; 1 Peter 5:7; John 10:10).
    As you cling to God’s promises, ask Him to reveal new direction and purpose for your life.

God has a purpose for your life,
    So what you have to do
    Is follow Him, believing that
    He’ll keep directing you. —Sper

Keep your eyes on the Lord
    and you won’t lose sight of life’s purpose.

11. following-Him

Two devotionals again today.

Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk)

God Says, 'Wait'13 Aug 2011'[Your] steps... are ordered by the Lord...' Psalm 37:23What should you do when doors you thought God had opened suddenly slam shut? You're thinking, 'Lord, I did all the right things. Why is this happening?' Be at peace, God is still directing your steps. When your hopes seem crushed and your plans have altered, rely on His superior wisdom and unfailing love. God has already planned your life from beginning to end, so trust Him to work things out for your good (Isaiah 46:10-11). If you give it a little more time, your pain will turn to praise as you realise that He just closed a lesser door to open a greater one. Timing is so important! As you begin to understand God's timing you'll be better able to cooperate with Him. When you don't know, learn to wait with confidence on the One who does. The problem most of us have is that we attempt to take the lead role in our relationship with God and it doesn't work. God has that role, and He won't give it to us! He gives instructions and we're supposed to follow, even when we don't like or understand the way He takes us. 'Why does it take God so long to do things?' you ask. Because unanswered questions create trust. When you don't know, you have to trust the One who does, and that keeps you growing in faith. God has a definite plan and time, and while He's getting you ready He keeps you in His waiting room. If that's where you are today, remember, it's only as you reach new levels of maturity that God releases new levels of blessing into your life.

Today I would like to share a different devotional with you - "My Utmost for His highest" it can be found at www.odb.org

Do Not Quench the Spirit"
    Aug 13 2011

Do not quench the Spirit —1 Thessalonians 5:19

The voice of the Spirit of God is as gentle as a summer breeze— so gentle that unless you are living in complete fellowship and oneness with God, you will never hear it. The sense of warning and restraint that the Spirit gives comes to us in the most amazingly gentle ways. And if you are not sensitive enough to detect His voice, you will quench it, and your spiritual life will be impaired. This sense of restraint will always come as a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:12), so faint that no one except a saint of God will notice it.
    Beware if in sharing your personal testimony you continually have to look back, saying, “Once, a number of years ago, I was saved.” If you have put your “hand to the plow” and are walking in the light, there is no “looking back”— the past is instilled into the present wonder of fellowship and oneness with God (Luke 9:62 ; also see 1 John 1:6-7). If you get out of the light, you become a sentimental Christian, and live only on your memories, and your testimony will have a hard metallic ring to it. Beware of trying to cover up your present refusal to “walk in the light” by recalling your past experiences when you did “walk in the light” (1 John 1:7). When-ever the Spirit gives you that sense of restraint, call a halt and make things right, or else you will go on quenching and grieving Him without even knowing it.
    Suppose God brings you to a crisis and you almost endure it, but not completely. He will engineer the crisis again, but this time some of the intensity will be lost. You will have less discernment and more humiliation at having disobeyed. If you continue to grieve His Spirit, there will come a time when that crisis cannot be repeated, because you have totally quenched Him. But if you will go on through the crisis, your life will become a hymn of praise to God. Never become attached to anything that continues to hurt God. For you to be free of it, God must be allowed to hurt whatever it may be.

12. following-Him

The Word For Today is the first of our two devotionals today and can be found at www.ucb.co.uk

For Things to Go Well14 Aug 2011'...that it might go well with [you]...' Deuteronomy 5:29When God tells you to do something that seems difficult or unpleasant, He's not trying to make your life hard or put you in a straitjacket. Often He's just getting you to a place where He can bless you. 'Oh, that... [they]... would... fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them.' Anything God asks you to do carries this thought with it: 'That it might go well with [you].' Hopefully, that will help you to start looking at things differently. Living in peace, instead of always going to pieces, is easier when you learn to respond to God immediately. Don't hesitate. Don't negotiate. Don't rationalise. And whatever you do, don't run. The only thing that's worse than running away from God is living with the painful aftermath. Your disobedience can take you all the way to the bottom. If you doubt that, stop and read the story of Jonah. The prophet Samuel said, '...to obey is better than sacrifice...' (1 Samuel 15:22). The truth is, sometimes you'll have to sacrifice certain things in order to obey God. But it's better to do that than to ignore His voice, live stressed out, forfeit His blessing, and end up getting nowhere. Sometimes God will require things of you that He doesn't seem to require of others; that He won't explain, and you can't understand; and that when you've obeyed them, you won't immediately see the benefits. But if you're convinced that He loves you and has a plan for your life, you'll surrender to Him in trust, knowing that in the end it will 'go well with [you]'.

Our second devotional today is from Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org

A friend sent me photographs of 20 beautiful churches in the world. Located as far apart as Iceland and India, each of them is architecturally unique.
    The most beautiful place of worship in Jeremiah’s day was the temple in Jerusalem, which King Josiah had recently repaired and restored (2 Chron. 34–35). The people were fixated on the magnificent building (Jer. 7:4), and they foolishly thought that having the temple there meant that God would protect them from their enemies.
    Instead, Jeremiah pointed out the sin in their lives (vv.3,9-10). God is not impressed by beautiful buildings constructed in His name if there is no inward beauty in the hearts of those who go there. He is not interested in an outward legalistic worship that is not matched by inward holiness. And it is wrong to think that God protects people just because of the religious things they do.
    Just because we’re reading the Bible, praying, and fellowshiping with other believers doesn’t mean that God is somehow then obligated to do something for us. He cannot be manipulated. The purpose of those external activities is to develop our relationship with the Lord and to help us live differently than those in the world around us.

Lord, help me to remember that You are most
    interested in an obedient heart. Change me when I think
    You’re obligated to me because of my religious acts of
    worship or service. Give me a pure heart. Amen.

Remember—God cannot and will not be manipulated.

13. following-Him

Today's devotionals are taken from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org).

Word For Today.

The Price of Friendship with God15 Aug 2011'...Abraham... was called God's friend.' James 2:23After losing everything he held dear, Job looked back and longed for the days when God's friendship '...graced [his] home... [his] children were... around... [and] everything was going [his] way...' (Job 29:4-6 TM). Maybe you can remember days like that in your own life. We've been conditioned to think of friendship in terms of the benefits it confers, but being God's friend comes at a price. As Rebecca Barlow Jordan points out, it 'costs... time, selflessness, thoughtfulness... absolute trust - and very often suffering. Those who are intimately close, feel the hurts and joys of the ones they love more than anyone else... True intimacy means a death to our own selfish desires.' Abraham was called God's friend, but the friendship came at a price. We read, '[Abraham] believed God' (Genesis 15:6 TLB) when He asked him to leave his home, set aside any preconceived notions of how his life would go and move to a strange land. Aged 93 , '[Abraham] believed God' would still make good on His promise of a son and heir. Then Isaac was born and God upped the ante by asking his 'friend' to make the supreme sacrifice: to do something He demanded from nobody else in Scripture... except Himself. The Bible says, 'By faith Abraham... offered Isaac as a sacrifice... even though God had said..."through Isaac... your offspring will be reckoned"' (Hebrews 11:17-18 NIV). Then just as Abraham was preparing to plunge the knife, in an act foreshadowing the death of God's Son, God honoured Abraham's faith and provided a substitute. When you decide to walk with Jesus, the One Who called us 'friends', the journey is rough at times, but His friendship will never fail you.

Our Daily Bread

Near one of the most majestic sites in God’s nature is a botanical garden of awe-inspiring beauty. On the Canadian side of Niagara Falls is the Floral Showhouse. Inside the greenhouse is a vast array of beautiful flowers and exotic plants. In addition to the flora my wife and I observed, something else caught our attention—the wording of a plaque.
    It reads: “Enter, friends, and view God’s pleasant handiwork, the embroidery of earth.” What a marvelous way to describe the way our Creator favored this globe with such jaw-dropping beauty!
    The “embroidery of earth” includes such far-ranging God-touches as the verdant rainforests of Brazil, the frigid beauty of Arctic Circle glaciers, the flowing wheat fields of the North American plains, and the sweeping reaches of the fertile Serengeti in Africa. These areas, like those described in Isaiah 41, remind us to praise God for His creative handiwork.
    Scripture also reminds us that the wonder of individual plants are part of God’s work. From the rose (Isa. 35:1) to the lily (Matt. 6:28) to the myrtle, cypress, and pine (Isa. 41:19-20), God colors our world with a splendorous display of beauty. Enjoy the wonder. And spend some time praising God for the “embroidery of earth.”

If God’s creation helps you see
    What wonders He can do
    Then trust the many promises
    That He has given you. —D. De Haan

Creation is filled with signs that point to the Creator.

14. following-Him

The devotionals today are taken from Word For Today, which can be found at www.ucb.co.uk and Our Daily Bread, which can be found at www.odb.org.

Word For Today

Who Are You Really?16 Aug 2011'...He... laid aside his garments...' John 13:4-5Do you worry that if people knew the 'real' you, they wouldn't like you? Or that if you let down your guard you'd be left twisting in the wind? If you grew up in the 1960s, you may remember the song 'Eleanor Rigby'. It's about the self-imposed isolation that comes from trying to blend in with the crowd. It talks about 'the face that [we] keep in a jar by the door'. Trying to look 'normal' every day can be exhausting. The Bible says that Jesus 'laid aside his garments... to wash the disciples' feet'. He was willing to become transparent and let them see who He really was. One author writes, 'I must tell you -after playing football and spending hours in musty locker rooms - it's much easier to undress when others are undressing, than it is to walk into an executive boardroom and disrobe. This would be true even if the room was filled with the same men you work out with. It's not who they are, it's that your comfort zone is destroyed when you feel like you're the only one who's naked. Jesus taught a powerful lesson. He rose from supper and began to disrobe in front of men who were still fully clothed. Our problem is... we don't want to be seen as the only one with problems and needs. But fear of being different can lock you in a prison of pretence. Jesus took a step few would dare to. He laid aside His garments (image) before those He'd laboured to inspire. Real ministry starts the moment we stop trying to impress each other and say, "This is who I really am!"'

Our Daily Bread

Do It Yourself.

You give them something to eat” (Mark 6:37). It’s easy to miss those words from Jesus. A huge crowd had gathered to hear Him. Late in the day, the disciples got nervous and started pressing Him to send them away (v.36). “You give them something to eat,” Jesus replied (v.37).
    Why would He say that? John 6:6 says He was testing them. Did He want to see if they would trust Him to perform a miracle? Maybe, but it seems more likely He wanted His disciples involved in caring for the crowd, to be hands-on in working with and for Him. He then blessed what they brought to Him—five loaves of bread and two fish—and performed the miracle of the feeding of the 5,000.
    I think Jesus uses those words with us too. A need pre-sents itself in the lives of those around us, and we bring it to Jesus in prayer. “You do something,” Jesus often says. “But, Lord,” we object, “we don’t have enough time or money or energy.” We’re wrong, of course. When Jesus asks us to get involved, He already knows how He will accomplish His work through us.
    What we need is faith and vision—the ability to see that God wants us to be His instruments, and that He will supply what we need.

God uses us as instruments
    To help someone in need,
    So we must trust Him to supply
    When following His lead. —Sper

When God says do it, He’s already planned the resources we need to accomplish the task.

15. following-Him

Today's devotionals come from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org). I hope you will find them a blessing.

Word For Today

According to Fred Smith (2)18 Aug 2011'Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.' 1 Corinthians 11:1Here are some more Scriptures Brenda Smith learned from her dad: 'A true friend sticks by you' (Proverbs 18:24 TM). When Fred was initially hospitalised, a host of well-wishers came by to visit, but eventually dropped off when they didn't know what to say. It was friends who stood by them over the long haul who sustained them. 'The Lord sees the good people and listens to their prayers' (Psalm 34:15 NCV). The Psalmist said, 'I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry...he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand' (Psalm 40:1-2 NIV). Fred Smith said, 'Many nights I lay awake unable to move or sleep, but...when I was tempted to lose hope, prayer renewed my strength.' A psychiatrist who interviewed aspiring astronauts reported that, faced with total isolation, many candidates became frustrated, whereas those who knew how to pray and sense God's presence had fewer problems. Prayer works when all else fails - but don't wait till things reach that stage. 'When you are old... I will take care of you...' (Isaiah 46:4 NCV). Someone said, 'Old age ain't for sissies'. While you are getting older physically, you don't have to get old in your outlook. We live in a 'disposable' culture that dismisses senior citizens as set in their ways and out of touch. Fred Smith proved otherwise. He demonstrated that while aging isn't convenient or comfortable, it can be productive. By focusing on the 'can do's' instead of the 'used to do's', you not only follow the example of Christ, you also create a blueprint for the next generation.

Our Daily Bread

Promised You Can Bank On.

After a global financial crisis, the US government enacted stricter laws to protect people from questionable banking practices. Banks had to change some of their policies to comply. To notify me of such changes, my bank sent me a letter. But when I got to the end I had more questions than answers. The use of phrases like “we may” and “at our discretion” certainly didn’t sound like anything I could depend on!
    In contrast, the Old Testament quotes God as saying “I will” numerous times. God promises David: “I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever” (2 Sam. 7:12-13). No uncertainty in those words. Recognizing God’s faithfulness to His promises, King Solomon says in his prayer of dedication for the temple: “You have kept what You promised Your servant David my father; You have both spoken with Your mouth and fulfilled it with Your hand” (2 Chron. 6:15). Centuries later, the apostle Paul said that all of God’s promises are “yes” in Christ (2 Cor. 1:20).
    In a world of uncertainty, our trust is in a faithful God who will always keep His promises.

Whatever trouble may assail,
    Of this we can be sure:
    God’s promises can never fail,
    They always will endure. —Hess

Faith knows that God always performs what He promises.

16. following-Him

The devotionals today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

There's a Place at the Table for All of Us19 Aug 2011'...Lazarus and his sisters invited Jesus to dinner...' John 12:2After Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, we read, 'Lazarus and his sisters invited Jesus to dinner.' Martha served, Mary sat listening to what Jesus had to say, and Lazarus talked to the guests. So, there's room at God's table for all kinds of people. Let's take a closer look at Martha. Marthas are generally in the background with their sleeves rolled up, making sure everybody's fed and watered. They rarely seek the spotlight, and often we don't appreciate them until they're missing. The problem with Marthas is that they're inclined to make the mission more important than the Master. They need to remember that worship is also service. Marys tend to forget there are bills to be paid and meals to be cooked. Sometimes they act so heavenly minded, they're no earthly use. They need to realise that service is worship too. But we need Marys; they bring passion to our worship, and you can always count on them to intercede with God on behalf of others. '...they flocked to see...the man Jesus had raised from the dead...because of him...many...believed in Jesus' (John 12:9-11 NLT). Lazarus had a story so amazing that those who heard it became instant converts. He reminds us that we each have a story to share about God's grace and mercy. When was the last time you shared yours? So, if you're a Martha, God sees your labour of love. If you're a Mary, He delights in your worship. If you're a Lazarus, He promises to honour your testimony. There's a place at the table for all of us!

Our Daily Bread

The Human Camera

Steven Wiltshire, who has been called “the human camera,” has the amazing ability to recall tiny details about anything he has seen and then reproduce them in drawings. For example, after Steven was flown over the city of Rome, he was asked to draw the city center on blank paper. Astonishingly, he accurately reproduced from memory the winding streets, the buildings, the windows, and other details.
    Wiltshire’s memory is remarkable. Yet there’s another kind of memory that’s even more amazing—and much more vital. Before Jesus’ return to heaven, He promised His disciples that He would send the Holy Spirit to give them supernatural memory of what they had experienced: “The Helper, the Holy Spirit . . . will . . . bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you” (John 14:26).
    The disciples heard Christ’s marvelous teachings. They heard Him command the blind to see, the deaf to hear, and the dead to be raised. Yet when the Gospel writers recorded these events, their words were not the product of a gifted human memory. Their recollections came from a divine Helper who made sure they compiled a trustworthy record of Christ’s life.
    Trust the Bible with confidence. It was written with guidance from the “divine camera,” the Holy Spirit.

The stories in the Word of God
    Are there for us to see
    How God has worked in people’s lives
    Throughout all history. —Sper

The Spirit of God uses the Word of God to teach the people of God.

17. following-Him

Today the devotionals come from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

The Right Focus

20 Aug 2011'You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm.' Isaiah 26:3Your life is like a camera; you've got to focus it correctly to get the right results. Having the right focus can bring four results. First, it simplifies things. When you're not clear as to your purpose, you try to do too much - and that causes stress, inner conflict and confusion. You have only enough time and energy to do God's will. Not getting everything done may be an indicator that you're doing far more than God ever intended. Focus leads to a simpler lifestyle and a saner schedule. Only when you keep your focus can you keep your peace: 'You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm.' Second, it gives you direction. If you want your life to have impact, consult God, and then do what He tells you. Don't confuse activity with productivity. Diffused light has limited impact, but when light's focused like a laser it can cut through steel. Third, it energises you. It's meaningless work, not overwork, that wears you down. George Bernard Shaw wrote, 'This is the true joy of life: being used up for a purpose recognised by yourself as a mighty one; being a force of nature instead of a selfish little clot of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.' Finally, it determines your legacy. When people recall your name, what will they associate with it? 'A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold' (Proverbs 22:1 NIV). Ultimately, what matters isn't what others say about you, but what God says. So focus on the end game.

Our Daily Bread

An obstacle inventory

Fault-finding is a popular pastime, and unfortunately a lot of us find it’s easy to join the fun. Concentrating on the warts of others is a great way to feel better about ourselves. And that’s just the problem. Avoiding the faults that need to be fixed in our own lives not only stunts our spiritual growth but also obstructs God’s work through us. God’s effectiveness through our lives is enhanced or hindered by the way we live.
    It’s no wonder, then, that Paul made a concerted effort to “put no obstacle in anyone’s way” (2 Cor. 6:3 ESV). For him there was nothing more important than his usefulness for Christ in the lives of others. Anything that got in the way of that was dispensable.
    If you want to be authentic and useful for God, take an obstacle inventory. Sometimes obstacles are things that in and of themselves may be legitimate, yet in certain contexts may be inappropriate. But sin is clearly obstructive to others. Gossip, slander, boasting, bitterness, greed, abuse, anger, selfishness, and revenge all close the hearts of those around us to the message of God through us.
    So, replace your faults with the winsome ways of Jesus. That will enable others to see your “no-fault” Savior more clearly.

Wherever I am, whatever I do,
    O God, please help me to live
    In a way that makes me credible
    As your representative. —Egner

Followers of Jesus are most effective
    when attitudes and actions are aligned with His.

18. following-Him

The devotionals for today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

Protect Yourself Spiritually21 Aug 2011'He will... oppress the... people of the Most High...' Daniel 7:25Satan uses two strategies. First, 'he will defy the Most High.' Satan will always attack God's plan, God's principles and God's people, so be on guard! Second, 'he will... oppress the... people of the Most High.' Weariness is a weapon satan will use against you. When you're worn out, you're vulnerable. At that point temptation can lead to compromise, compromise to indulgence, and indulgence to defeat. '...make no provision for the flesh' (Romans 13:14 NKJV). Don't give satan an inch or he will take a mile. Your mind is where the real attack takes place. The Bible warns you to be careful, '...lest you become weary and faint in your mind' (Hebrews 12:3). Satan will wear you down in order to wipe you out, so you must take time to replenish your strength in God's presence. It's easy to get caught up in the work of the Lord, and not spend time with the Lord of the work. Jesus said, 'Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it... I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live...' (Matthew 11:28-30 TM). When you commit yourself to doing God's will, God's way, in God's strength, you don't wear out. You're fulfilled, you stay in balance, and you overcome the stress and anxiety of this world. And that's how God wants you to live.

Our Daily Bread

Saints

It’s probably not a name we would use for ourselves, but the apostle Paul often called believers “saints” in the New Testament (Eph. 1:1; Col. 1:2). Did he call them saints because they were perfect? No. These people were human and therefore sinful. What then did he have in mind? The word saint in the New Testament means that one is set apart for God. It describes people who have a spiritual union with Christ (Eph. 1:3-6). The word is synonymous with individual believers in Jesus (Rom. 8:27) and those who make up the church (Acts 9:32).
    Saints have a responsibility through the power of the Spirit to live lives worthy of their calling. This includes, but is not limited to, no longer being sexually immoral and using improper speech (Eph. 5:3-4). We are to put on the new character traits of service to one another (Rom. 16:2), humility, gentleness, patience, love, unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Eph. 4:1-3), obedience, and perseverance during hardship and suffering (Rev. 13:10; 14:12). In the Old Testament, the psalmist called saints “the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight” (Ps. 16:3).
    Our union with Christ makes us saints, but our obedience to God’s Word through the power of the Holy Spirit makes us saintly.

Oh, to be filled with His life divine,
    Oh, to be clothed with His power and might;
    Oh, to reflect my dear Savior sublime,
    Always to shine as the saints in light! —Anon.

Saints are people whom God’s light shines through.

19. following-Him

The devotionals for today are Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

Give Your Marriage a Tune-Up!22 Aug 2011'...be kind to one another, tender hearted...' Ephesians 4:32The secret to closeness in marriage is not sparkling conversation or shared interests or incredible sex. As good as those are, the secret is practising plain, old-fashioned thoughtfulness and kindness. It's the stuff we learn when we're young and forget when we're too busy: things like respect, sensitivity, attentiveness and caring. If your marriage needs a tune-up, start doing these four things. First, practise 'hug therapy'. When you're at odds with each other, remember this: 'Hearts may agree though heads differ'. A hug works wonders. When we touch one another in caring ways our bodies actually produce chemicals that calm us emotionally and help us to bond physically. God designed us that way. Second, don't forget the small stuff. When you routinely build little kindnesses into your marriage they become a source of strength later; it's like money in the bank you can draw on. So think 'personal' and 'sweet', like helping to clean up after dinner, making the bed, walking the dog or putting out the bins. Third, mind your manners. Just because you're married doesn't mean common courtesy should go by the wayside. The Bible says, 'Be kind to one another, tender hearted.' That means listening without interrupting, and practising the basics like saying 'Please', 'Thank you' and 'I'm sorry'. This stuff's not rocket science, but it works! Finally, compliment each other. Your marriage partner is not a mind reader. Whenever you think something nice about them, tell them! We live in a cold, competitive world; hearing that we're loved, smart, attractive and fun from someone whose opinion we really value means everything.

Our Daily bread

Ponder Your Path

A 47-year-old Austrian man gave away his entire $4.7 million fortune after concluding that his wealth and lavish spending were keeping him from real life and happiness. Karl Rabeder told the Daily Telegraph (London), “I had the feeling I was working as a slave for things I did not wish for or need. It was the biggest shock in my life when I realized how horrible, soulless, and without feeling the ‘five-star’ lifestyle is.” His money now funds charities he set up to help people in Latin America.
    Proverbs 4 urges us to consider carefully our own road in life. The passage contrasts the free, unhindered path of the just with the dark, confused way of the wicked (v.19). “Let your heart retain my words; keep my commands, and live” (v.4). “Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life” (v.23). “Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established” (v.26). Each verse encourages us to evaluate where we are in life.
    No one wants to go through life on a selfish, heartless road. But it can happen unless we consider where we are going in life and ask the Lord for His direction. May He give us grace today to embrace His Word and follow Him with all our hearts.

If we pursue mere earthly gain,
    We choose a path that ends in pain;
    But joy remains within the soul
    When we pursue a heavenly goal. —D. De Haan

You are headed in the right direction when you walk with God.

20. following-Him

The devotionals for today come from Word For Today (www.ucb.co.uk) and Our Daily Bread (www.odb.org)

Word For Today

You Can Get Beyond the Past23 Aug 2011'...you shall remember it as waters that pass away.' Job 11:16Tamar experienced the terrible trauma of being raped. But her future was greater than her past, so she gave birth to a child who became a progenitor of our Lord Jesus. What an honour! Wounded one, you can come through this painful experience and sing the song of the overcomer. By God's grace you can learn to live in the present and let go of the past. How? By spending time in God's presence and allowing His love to touch the hurting places within you. Give all your secrets to God - and leave them there. He can take the misery out of the memory like you take the poison out of an insect bite; then your healing will begin. Job, who lost his health, his wealth and his family, lived to see these words fulfilled: 'You shall forget your misery; you shall remember it as waters that pass away.' Go ahead, stand in the stream of God's grace and release it. Let it all go. It was night, but now it's day! Let God hold you safely in His arms. There, you can allow the past to fall from you like a garment. You may remember it, but you won't have to wear it any more: 'You shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid' (v. 19). No more pacing the floor, no more bad dreams, no more fear of tomorrow. Shame has been removed and grace enthroned. Rise up in Christ's name and take authority over every memory that keeps you linked to the past. Allow God to heal your scars, break your chains and set you free.

Our Daily Bread

Joyful Reunion

Some years ago when our children were still small, I flew home after a 10-day ministry trip. In those days people were allowed to visit the airport boarding area to greet incoming passengers. When my flight landed, I came out of the jet-bridge and was greeted by our little ones—so happy to see me that they were screaming and crying. I looked at my wife, whose eyes were teary. I couldn’t speak. Strangers in the gate area also teared up as our children hugged my legs and cried their greetings. It was a wonderful moment.
    The memory of the intensity of that greeting serves as a gentle rebuke to the priorities of my own heart. The apostle John, eagerly desiring Jesus’ return, wrote, “He who testifies to these things says, ‘Surely I am coming quickly.’ Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!” (Rev. 22:20). In another passage, Paul even spoke of a crown awaiting those who have “loved His appearing” (2 Tim. 4:8). Yet sometimes I don’t feel as eager for Christ’s return as my children were for mine.
    Jesus is worthy of the very best of our love and devotion—and nothing on earth should compare to the thought of seeing Him face-to-face. May our love for our Savior deepen as we anticipate our joyful reunion with Him.

And for the hope of His return,
    Dear Lord, Your name we praise;
    With longing hearts we watch and wait
    For that great day of days! —Sherwood

Those who belong to Christ should be longing to see Him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.