1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Case" books by Lee Strobel

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Debby in Philly, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone read "The Case for Christ," "The Case for Faith," or his new one, "The Case for a Creator?"

I found "The Case for a Creator" quite fascinating, and like the way he weaves the presentation of the Gospel into it. I have just given it to a coworker to borrow following a discussion we had on Creationism. He is not saved, but has a general belief in God and disagrees with a family member on this.

Any comments?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Never read 'em, but have heard a lot of good stuff about "The Case for Christ".

3. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Haven't read the new one. I thought the first two were excellent. Solid, logical, factual, not a lot of hyperbole. He makes his "cases" with both a strong Biblical & also historical basis.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I've read the first two and have them right here beside my computer. Excellent case!

I've not read the third tho.

Diane

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Top Quality. Lee is associate pastor (along with his writing and NEW TV SERIES) at my son's SBC church, so heard him preach there on Sept 19.

Gifted communicator.

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The case for Christ was vastly superior to the case for faith. I haven't read his last one.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I received an email about Jon Strobel's T.V. show for youth but didn't save a copy to share...

8. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

If you have a Family Christian bookstore in your area you can buy a copy of 'The Case for a Creator' for $11.99 (40% off) until October 16th.

9. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Ditto, Larry N.

10. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

I was once a very committed atheist and it was only a miracle of God that shook me from it. Since then, I've read quite a few of these types of books including Lee's Case for Christ. Honestly, I can't imagine any of them "convincing" me to become a christian. I do not put them down, I just don't have much "faith" in them to have much lasting impact on lives. As C.S.Lewis once warned, if somebody can talk you into being a christian then there will be somebody else who can talk you out of it. They're good books and all but not something I'd necessarily recommend for the serious atheist in your life. They presuppose that the problem is that the unbeliever just does not have enough facts but that isn't ultimately the problem of the unbeliever. If the person is truly searching for answers and already on their road to beleif, then it can be quite helpful but otherwise I think such books would have come across too condescending for my tastes back then. I'm rather glad I wasn't saved that way or I'd be continually in the dilemma Lewis said of my faith resting precariously on a "good" argument. But, since God is free to use any means he wishes, I won't say it can never happen. ;)

11. Bugman

Bugman New Member

I have Case for Christ and Case for Faith, infact they were some of the first Christian books I ever read. When I first read them I was very impressed, but as I have grown and come to understand how deprived fallen mankind is i've lost all faith in evidential apologetics. Good for building up the person who is already a Christian but of little value in a discussion with a natural man.

Bryan
    SDG

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True that these work well to build up folks who are already believers, but we cannot give up in trying to show logical evidences.

I cut my teeth on McDowell's "Evidence That Demands a Verdict". These were directed the same - AT the unregenerate to try to convince them of the truth of the Bible and Jesus. But they built up MY faith.

13. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

I am very firmly in the presuppositional apologetics (Van Til, Bahnsen, et al) camp myself - as I think any reformed/calvinist has to be anyhow. I have found that evidential/classical apologetics are particularly useful for believers as Dr. Bob has said but I think they hold very little value for conversion. Where I have seen them work is with someone who is already on their way to becoming a Christian and just need the reasurance from their intellect that their heart is telling them the truth. Its more a nudge to speed them in the direction they're already headed.

The real down side of evidential apologetics in mind however is that it is counter to the argument we are trying to make - it says that man should be subject to God in all things including the renewing of his mind yet suggests that man can make God subject to his intellectual acceptance. It puts man's logic back on the throne.