1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Chronology of the Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doing a study of John Chapter 9 this week.

Was looking in my Thompson Chain (study note 4308 a)
    1) the events of John chapter 9 is not in any other Gospel
    2) According to 4308-- the chronological list just prior to John 9 includes:

a- Good Samaritan...............................Luke 10:25-27
    b- Home of Martha...............................Luke 10:38-42
    c- Parable of the Friend........................Luke 11:5-13
    d- Seventy return..................................Luke 10:17-24

Note: these events only are recorded in Luke

Question: Since Chapter 11 events happen prior to Chapter 10,
    According to Thompson Chain- is this suggesting that some of the
    New Testament is not recorded chronically?

and if so - what would be the reason?

As I did a quick look thur the "Harmony of the Gospels" I noticed that happens more than once.

Question:

#1 Salty, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2021
  2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    you mean chronologically? The Four Gospels are eye witness accounts on the Life of the Lord Jesus Christ. There is no reason why any of the events recorded have to be in any special order. Luke was an historian of the highest credability, and like the others Books in the Bible, completely Trustworthy. It is like the Books order in the OT, the so called minor Prophets at the end of the OT, were actually living in the time when the Books of Kings, Samuel, and Chronicles were written. God the Holy Spirit chose to do things this way.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course there appears to be a reason- It seems to be the most logical. Often when one thing happens - it can be influenced by a previous event.

But what would be the reason to NOT put it chronologically?

Yes, I fully believe that the Lord can choose to do anything, in any way he desires.
    But I Cor 14:40 does state - "Let all things be done decently and in order." KJV

FTR - I am in no way casting ANY doubt on the Trustworthiness of Luke or any other Book.

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't think that 1 Cor 14:40 has anything to do with the chronologly of the Bible, it is about Church services.

Question is, does it really matter if Mark opens his Gospel with words that Matthew, for example has 10 chapters later? What about the time of Jesus' Resurrection, when one Gospel says there was one angels, and another says there were two, and another, just a man?

There are many things in the Bible that don't make "sense" to us mere humans, but none of this should ever cause us to doubt the Bible accounts.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are reading too much into what I asked - Right now, I want to make sure you realize that in NO WAY am I doubt the Bible.

I'm asking a simple question - please do not put too much into it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the original question by Salty: "is this suggesting that some of the
    New Testament is not recorded chronically?"

Since the Matthean and Lukan narratives differ early on regarding the order of the second and third temptations, I would see no problem in considering strict chronological order not a major factor regarding various of the events during the life and ministry of Christ.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just reviewing my Thompson Chain Reference Bible to see if you may have missed something, but you are absolutely correct. Since the Scriptures are inspired but man's commentaries and notes are not, it is possible that Luke 10 is not out of chronological order. However, I also think that is unlikely, as the Biblical scholars must have had a good reason to tell us this is the order of the events. I've heard that ancient historians didn't always write history in a linear, chronological fashion, but according to some kind of order of importance. Even that is weird, as you have got to have some chronological reference.

This does remind me that Genesis places the events of Genesis chapter 10 (the nations that descended from Noah) actually occurred after chapter 11 (Tower of Babel). In that case, chapter 10 tells us how the nations were divided, and chapter 11 tells us why they were divided.

All of that being said, I was not able to answer your question. To reiterate an earlier point, I suspect it's a difference between the way people in the ancient near east viewed history vs how the modern western world views history.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that could come under the heading of How did God have no beginning?

Our limited thinking is unable to fully comprehend such a possibility.
    When we get to Glory, I am sure it will all fall in place.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you considered that parables can be repeated by Jesus? Compare Matthew 7:13-27 with Luke 13:24-30. Jesus is talking about the same thing here, but yet written differently. Could Jesus have repeated the same warning about the falling away from the faith that in the latter days many will not be found abiding in Him to be raptured, but at different time in a different way during His ministry for when the writers recollected the account?

Could we give grace as to the recollection of the disciple as they were inspired to write?

Jesus did not answer the 3 questions put forth from His disciples in chronological order Matthew 24th chapter.

Revelation is not in chronological order since revelation 18th chapter is the event the 2nd angel heralded about in verse 8 of Revelation 14:6-11 when the 3 angels sets up the hour of temptation that shall try all remaining on the earth after the rapture.

If we consider this below

John 21:24 This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true. 25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Then I would not be overly concern about the parables being seemingly out of order of the historical events in the four gospels, because Jesus could very well have repeated the parables & warnings at other various times for when the inspired writers of the 4 gospels recollected them.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're really into this 'left behind' fiction, aren't you?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until you apply His words for what was used for why Jesus is warning His disciples... you are really not making a case that it is fiction just by saying it so, but the reference in this thread is an example, and not the topic. So feel free to address the appropriate thread on that topic as well as the scripture mentioned in that OP of that thread if you wish to prove it fiction.

Or leave a link to your thread proving it is fiction in your next reply but don't derail the thread here, okay? God be willing, I shall reply to your thread & post.

Thanks.

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some difficulties. But I am of the opinion the change of the Biblical order of events are often done needlessly. Or worst yet to fit false doctrine. Sometimes the Bibliical order given is for the Holy Spirit's teaching, not the history. And it is likely Jesus repeated some of His teachings as well.

The harmony in the Life Application Bible does not place Luke 10:17-24 after Luke 11:5-13.
    Luke 1:3, ". . . It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things *from the very first*, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, . . ."

*from the very first* the Greek being ανωθεν meaning from above. Same word translated "again" in John 3:3. (from John R Rice, but not a quote.)

Most harmaonies have Judas going out before Jesus gave His supper teaching of His rememberence of what He was about to do. Luke has Judas at the supper, Luke 22:21, "But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table." And is the real reason the reading "being ended" is changed to "during" in John 13:2, "And supper being ended, . . ." So Majority Text translation, Modern Literal Version has changed it to, "And it happened during supper, . . ."

#12 37818, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've yet to show His words, 'Be ready or be left behind'. That's pure fiction.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is built around different themes therefore not chronological to time

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one effort to put the books in order. Many of course would disagree. Our NT seems to be arranged in order of someone or some groups idea of importance. And this same arrangement, or disarrangement, could have been used in the writings of the books. Things groups together to make a point, even though they occurred at differing times.

James - 50 A.D.
    First Thessalonians - 52-53.
    Second Thessalonians - 52-53.
    Galatians - 55.
    First Corinthians - 57.
    Second Corinthians - 57.
    Romans - 57-58.
    Philippians - 62-63.
    Colossians - 62-63.
    Philemon - 62-63.
    Ephesians - 62-63.
    Luke - 63.
    Acts - 64.
    First Timothy - 65.
    Titus - 65.
    Second Timothy - 66.
    Mark - 66.
    Matthew - 67.
    Hebrews - 67.
    First Peter - 67-68.
    Second Peter - 68.
    Jude - 68.
    Apocalypse - 68.
    John - c. 85.
    Epistles of John - 90-95.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you can show me where "left behind" and whether it is fiction or not - is part of this discussion
    Please start a new thread about that. -

Lets stay on OP!!!

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

...ten four...

18. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ancient writers were schooled using the progymnasmata as their writing curriculum. I am not sure if there even was an exercise to practice chronology. The final goal was ability to persuade.
    Rhetorical Pedagogy: progymnasmata

I was linked to this thread from a thread that I started.
    The Length of Jesus' Ministry
    I thought it better to post about the progym in this thread rather than the one that I started.

#18 kathleenmariekg, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no evidence for the late dating of the Epistles of John

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even the Liberal theologian John A T Robinson concluded that all of the NT Books were written before 70 A. D.

REVIEWS

• Agree Agree x 1