1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Codices Sinaiticus and Vaticanus, etc

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by icthus, Mar 18, 2005.

1. natters

natters New Member

The way I understand it, the Arians were believed that if the Son was equal to the Father, then there would be more than one God - and thus could not accept that Jesus was God, and thus could not accept John 1:18 unless it said "Son".

2. icthus

icthus New Member

No. They accepted "God" because it reads "monogenes theos", and not "ho theos". The Arians, following Origen, said that Jesus is "theos", while the Father is "ho theos"!

3. natters

natters New Member

How can Arians say Jesus is "theos", if they were monotheistic while rejecting the concept of the Trinity?

4. icthus

icthus New Member

In the same way the Jehovah's Witnesses, who are the present day Arians, have no hesitation in calling Jesus "theos". Its what is mean by this term that is important, and not the word itself!

The Arian controversy can be traced back further than Arius himself. His actual "theology", or, more correctly, "Christology", came from his being a pupil at the school of Lucian of Antioch, who himself advocated the heresis of Paul of Samosata. In their "system", they could call Jesus "theos", as long it be understood that the Father alone is: "unbegotten", while the Son is "begotten" from the Father, as touching his Divinity. Like many of the orthodox party, Arius appealed to Proverbs 8:22-25 and applied it to Jesus Christ. This has nothing to do with Jesus, and is a complete misapplication especially by the orthodox party, who went to great lenghts to explain what they meant by it!

5. natters

natters New Member

Perhaps. But that's the easiest way to trip them up: when they use the term "theos" or for Jesus, simply ask them how many "true God"s there are (John 17:3). They don't do well with that question at all. Calling Jesus "Son" instead is much more convenient for them, which is what I said several posts ago.

6. mioque

mioque New Member

Ichtus
    " I quote directly from Origen's Connemtary on John's Gospel?"
    "
    Origenes is best described as a speculative theologian. He is exploring options, probing the great mystery, not presenting clearcut dogma.

"the fact that because of the doctrinal positions of some involved in manuscript copying, or the writing of marginal notes, as did Origen, that we have historical evidence that many corruptions from the pens of these men did actually find their way into the actual text of Scripture."
    "
    Origenes quotes Scripture about 57.000 times in the writings of his that survive.
    Ofcourse we have all sorts of textual variants show up in his writings, he is reporting them not making them up.

7. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

I'm still trying to understand this first post. When you say the "bulk of our Greek manuscripts," usually that word "bulk" refers to the "Majority" or "Consensus" of all Greek MSS. Certainly Metzger does not agree that the bulk of all Greek MSS forms the basis of MVs, although he is one of the few who does still hold to the so-called Lucian Recension that is claimed to be fundamentally related to the origination of the Byzantine or Majority Text.

Yours,

Bluefalcon

8. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

No. They accepted "God" because it reads "monogenes theos", and not "ho theos". The Arians, following Origen, said that Jesus is "theos", while the Father is "ho theos"! </font>[/QUOTE]Ummm, John himself used the anarthrous "theos" not only in John 1:1, but in several other places. I'm sorry, your argumentations just doesn't stand up to the truth.

It doesn't matter what Origen thought. Besides, the Father "begetting" the Son has always been orthodox Christian doctrine. Not that the Son came from the Father, but that those are the roles of the persons of the trinity. This argument is the same argument Gail Riplinger tried to use and failed.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who've read Revision Revised, what do you hafta say about Burgon's strong criticism of the Textus Receptus?

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How come no one considers the possibility that GOD may have providentially preserved Sinaiticus and Vaticanus? The RCC usually destroyed mss it considered corrupt, and the majority of witnesses say Sinaiticus was on the verge of being burnt after laying unknown for who knows how long in the monastery.

11. icthus

icthus New Member

No. They accepted "God" because it reads "monogenes theos", and not "ho theos". The Arians, following Origen, said that Jesus is "theos", while the Father is "ho theos"! </font>[/QUOTE]Ummm, John himself used the anarthrous "theos" not only in John 1:1, but in several other places. I'm sorry, your argumentations just doesn't stand up to the truth.

It doesn't matter what Origen thought. Besides, the Father "begetting" the Son has always been orthodox Christian doctrine. Not that the Son came from the Father, but that those are the roles of the persons of the trinity. This argument is the same argument Gail Riplinger tried to use and failed.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hi Spoudazo, you speak of my arguments not standing up to "truth", but don't seem to understand the facts yourself!

My response that you have quoted above, is my reply to Natters, who was asking who Arius could call Jesus "theos", since he did not believe in the Deity of Jesus. I then showed that in the early Church, as it is still among some today, a distinction was/is made between "theos" and "ho theos", quite wrongly so in my opinion! The use or absence of the article has got nothing to do with "theology", but is done so because of the Greek grammar. But, people like Origen and Arius attached their theology to the actual usage and meaning of the words itself, especailly within its context. I am fully aware that John uses "theos" for Jesus in 1:1 of his gospel, which he does grammatically, as it would have been impossible for him to have written "ho theos" here, because of the construction, not only of the last sentence of the verse, but, because of the whole verse!

You speak of "begetting" as being orthodox Christian doctrine, and assume that he is used to denote the "roles" of the Fathe and the Son! This is something new to me! The Eternal Generation of the Son from the Father, is not to do with their "roles" within the Godhead, but, used to show that the Father is "unbegotten", and connunicates (begets) the life of the Son. This is nothing less than subordination, and must be condemed as hersey! Anyway, how can the term "beget" be used to denote a "role"? This itself is nonsense! The so-called "orthodox" have adopted the heretical views of Origen on the Person of Jesus Christ!

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your opinion. I gave mine. And won't get much credit from me by quoting Burgon. I find very little agreement with his biased position.

13. icthus

icthus New Member

Your opinion. I gave mine. And won't get much credit from me by quoting Burgon. I find very little agreement with his biased position. </font>[/QUOTE]I suppose your anti-KJV view is not based on any bias? You seem here to place yourself as a higher authority than Burgon on textual criticism? For your information, John Burgon remains even to this day as one of the foremost authorities on textual criticism! His excellent work on 1 Timothy 3:16 and the ending of Mark's Gospel, has not been successfully answered by critics, even by the likes of Dan Wallace, nor will they ever be! Or, do you suppose that you are able to prove that Dr Burgon was wrong?

14. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Burgon is definitely pro-TR, but actually agreed that the TR needed to be corrected at times, usually whenever it disagrees with the Consensus of all NT Greek documents. That's why KJVO people should not really use Burgon for their arguments. He was for a revision but not a revision that changed and omitted what he considered biblical text on the authority of just a few documents over against all others.

Yours,

Bluefalcon

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

icthus said:

anti-KJV view

Is there a "yawn" smiley on this board that can be applied to these tiresome clichés?

16. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Back to Sinaiticus and Vaticanus.....they do disagree with one another in so many thousands of places (most of them minor, but many of them major) that Burgon's logical question was: How can they both be faithful if they are both so different? It's not a bad question, given the logical law of non-contradiction.

For example, if at any given place Cod. Sinaiticus reads "A" and Cod. Vaticanus reads "B", at least one of them must be wrong, and the possibility still remains that both of them are wrong, if for instance the original actually read "C".

Yours,

Bluefalcon

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I consider the Byzantine texts to be inferior overall and conflated (but I've already posted a number of such arguments earlier on this thread). They are copies of copies of copies of late redactions. If some are disappointed that I do not revere Burgon or David Fuller, so be it.

I am not anti-kjv (how ludicrous) or anti-NKJV, both based on these inferior Greek texts. I think it too bad, but it was the choice of the Anglican Catholics to use those texts.

I do think the Nestle/Aland/Aland Greek text is better and would use it to be closer to the original than the Erasmus Catholic text. But they, too, do not assume Sinaiticus or Vaticanus to be "perfect".

It seems only the ifb Xtreme who try to make claims for a "pefect" Greek or "perfect" English translation.

Oh well. I am anti- IFBX for certain sure!!

18. icthus

icthus New Member

There is little doubt that these two manuscripts were the product of some heretics. What does surprise me, is that modern textual "critics" seem to have some sort of obsession with the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus, so much so, that they are blinded to the actual facts that they are alltogether corrupt! We might also add to the name of Burgon, the other "great" textual critic of that day, Dr Scrivener, again, in a class of his own in this area, and he too had little time for these two manuscripts. For, this is what he had to say on the Codex Sinaiticus's readings.

"With regard to the deeply interesting question as to the critical character of Cod.N., although it strongly supports the Codex Vaticanus in many characteristic readings, yet it cannot be said to give its exclusive adherence to any of the witnesses hitherto examined. It so lends its grave authority, now to one and now to another , as to convince us more than ever of the futility of seeking to derive the genuine text of the New Testemnet from any one copy, however ancient and, on the whole, trustworthy, when evidence of a wide and varied character is at hand...Those who agree the most unreservedly respecting the age of the Codex Vaticanus, vary widely in their estimate of its critical value. By some it has been held in such undue esteem that its readings, if probable in themselves, and supported (or even though not supported) by two or three other copies and versions, have been accepted in preference to the united testimony of all authorities besides: while others, admitting the interest due to age, have spoken of its text as one of the most vicious extant. Without anticipating what must be discussed hereafter, we may say at once, that, while we accord to Cod.B at least as much weight as to any single document in existence, we ought never to forget that it is but one of many, several of thme being nearly (and one quite) as old, and in other respects not less worthy of confidence than itself. One marked feature, characteristic of this copy, is the great number of its omissions, which has induced Dr Dobbin to speak of it as presenting ‘an abbreviated text of the New Testament:’ and certainly the facts he states on this point are startling enough. He calculates that Codex B leaves out words of whole clauses no less than 330 times in Matthew, 365 in Mark, 439 in Luke, 357 in John, 384 in the Acts, 681 in the surviving epistles; or 2,556 times in all.” (A Plain Introduction to the Plain Criticism of the New Testament, Vol.I, pp.97, 119-120)

And yet there are those who suppose that these two manuscripts are reliable and trustworthy witnesses to the original text of the New Testament!

19. icthus

icthus New Member

20. icthus

icthus New Member

Please excuse my typing errors! Thanks