1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Command of God

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by utilyan, Jul 23, 2019.

1. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God COMMANDS all people in the world not to sin. God COMMANDS all people to LOVE GOD and LOVE NEIGHBOR.

Why do NON-Calvinist believe that when GOD COMMANDS something that is his ACTUAL WANT and SINCERE DESIRE?

When God COMMANDS all people not to sin.....Does he REALLY, REALLY, sincerely and actually want them NOT TO SIN and be SAVE?

Does GOD desire that ALL PEOPLE in the world be SAVED!?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the purpose of the law is?

• Like Like x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should "all people in the world" care what God wants?

• Like Like x 1
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galatians 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ". . . Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. . . ." -- Romans 3:19.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all you Law brethren never forget this!... Brother Glen:)

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Law does not save It was never intended to save
    The purpose of the Law was to sustain Israel as a nation for the Messiah

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith." ( Galatians 3:24 ).

• Like Like x 2
  10. utilyan

Site Supporter

Plenty of purpose to law. Show God's character, tutor teach us right from wrong, lead to Christ, show will of the Father.

Heres the question. When God commands something DOES THAT MEAN that is what he Wants done? Is it his DESIRE? Or is he being deceptive? Tongue in cheek? Lying? SINCERE? HONEST?

If Jesus SHOWS up in person and tells you SIT DOWN, Do you stop and ponder.....is this what he actually wants me to do?

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks He wants RAW honesty.

Here is what the Law engenders:

Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Perry Rockwood was said to have conveyed the message that only sinners went to heaven.
    when asked where all the good people went - he said - they all went to hell.

12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's command 1) " that they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:" ( Acts of the Apostles 17:27 ).

Man's rejection of that command:" as it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 there is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. " ( Romans 3:10-11 )

God's command 2) " Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device." ( Acts of the Apostles 17:29 )

Man's rejection of that command: " because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    23 and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things." ( Romans 1:21-23 )

God's command 3) " And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
    31 because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by [that] man whom he hath ordained; [whereof] he hath given assurance unto all [men], in that he hath raised him from the dead." ( Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31 )

Man's rejection of that command: " And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this [matter]." ( Acts of the Apostles 17:32 )
    " who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." ( Romans 1:32 )

God's command 4) " And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." ( Deuteronomy 6:5 ).

Man's rejection of that command: " If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before [it hated] you." ( John 15:18 )
    " backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents," ( Romans 1:30 ).

Does anyone see a pattern here?:Sneaky

#12 Dave G, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purpose was to sustain Israel as a nation for the Messiah. The Law was not written to Gentiles nor those after Christs death.

It is a schoolmaster, the spiritual part anyway, to those familiar with it to understand the Messiah. We do not have to have a knowledge of the law to be saved

• Like Like x 1
  14. utilyan

Site Supporter

If it was unconditional election it would have been decided on flip of a coin, the pharisees is JUST as JUSTIFIED.

And another key point is the publican didn't go home self-proclaimed forgiven.

It sounds like God does not want either to sin.

15. utilyan

Site Supporter

Debating Calvinist, not here, this is the challenge I got.

There is no bible verse that states "God commands everyone not to sin."

I'm starting to think there is like two planes of existence here, like twilight zone stuff.

God commands LOVE God, Love Neighbor. I get the implication he wants me to Love God and Love neighbor.

Is that reasonable? Is it a sin to hold suspicion on God? And think well he just "SAID" that but in actuality.......

16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, until you can point to someone here making that claim, I don’t see what the point of debating it here.

17. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Pharisee was self-justified and rested in his efforts at keeping the Law as the means to that justification, not in God's forgiveness of his sins. <--- No faith, but only works.
    The Publican was justified by God, knowing that even his best efforts at keeping the Law could never save him...and could not so much as raise his head, even though Jesus had declared him justified in the sight of God ( Luke 18:9-14 ). <---- Faith in the midst of works.

See Psalms 51 for the difference in attitudes about sin.
    David was a man after God's own heart ( the publican ).

In the end:
    " Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? [It is] God that justifieth." ( Romans 8:33 )
    "Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." ( John 5:14 )

" She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." ( John 8:11 )

"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" ( Acts of the Apostles 17:30 )
    "Then one of them, [which was] a lawyer, asked [him a question], tempting him, and saying,
    36 Master, which [is] the great commandment in the law?
    37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." ( Matthew 22:35-40 )
    " Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love [is] the fulfilling of the law." ( Romans 13:10 )

" Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?" ( Romans 9:20 )

#17 Dave G, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  18. utilyan

Site Supporter

Pretty simple Rob.

When God COMMANDS all people not to sin.....Does he REALLY, REALLY, sincerely and actually want them NOT TO SIN?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. utilyan

Site Supporter

Thanks for the help Dave. I'll try those line, see what I get back.

I actually used the Acts 17 before. Also used Romans 1. Or by virtue of just "Love God/Love neighbor"

The response I get is:
    "You still can't find a verse that says 'God commands everyone not to sin.' You just dance around the issue."

Carm, Calvinists, in case if your wondering, not you guys.

20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because everyone has already sinned

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;