1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Companion Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Just_Ahead, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any thoughts on The Companion Bible?

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Companion Bible [KJV] is a study Bible edited by E. W. Bullinger. It has many helpful, informative notes, and some that may be questionable or even not sound.

Its KJV text is unique in that it has "LORD" [Jehovah] in over 100 places in the Old Testament where many present KJV editions have "Lord" [Adonai].

Appendix 32 in The Companion Bible claimed: “Out of extreme (but mistaken) reverence for the ineffable Name ‘Jehovah,’ the ancient custodians of the Sacred Text substituted in many places ‘Adonai’” (p. 31). This appendix in The Companion Bible listed “The 134 passages where the Sopherim altered ‘Jehovah’ to ‘Adonai’” and asserted that these 134 passages were preserved and given in the Massorah.

Elias Levita (1468-1549) as translated by Christian D. Ginsburg referred to “the sacred name of the Lord, which is written [Adonai], and on which they [the Massorites] remark ’one hundred and thirty-four times’ (Massoreth Ha-Massoreth of Elias Levita, p. 233). Levita asserted that the reason for this is that “the tetragammaton must not be read as it is written, for it must not be pronounced with the lips, but is to be read under the appellation [Adonai]” (p. 233).

3. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the comments about The Companion Bible (KJV). I added a copy of the Large Print Companion Bible to my existing bible book case.

This is one "big" bible, measuring 11.25" x 8.75" x 2.0", with 10-pt text size and 8-pt note size, weighing 4.5 lbs. One of the websites that reviewed The Companion Bible referred to it as a "table-top" bible--too big to carry around.

The study notes in The Companion Bible are numerous and can be difficult to comprehend at first glance--not at all prosaic as some of the well-edited study notes in later study bibles. This observation gave me reason to separate the study bibles in my bible book case as

(a) text-only
    (b) center-column reference
    (c) end of paragraph reference
    (d) 1st generation study bible
    (e) 2nd generation study bible
    Others, e.g., heirloom bibles passed to me from ancestors

I classify The Companion Bible as a 1st generation study bible and shelve it next to copies of The Old Scofield Study Bible, MacArthur Study Bible, and Thompson Chain Reference Bible.

For those interested, some of my favorite 2nd generation study bibles, at this time, are

Wiersbe NKJV Study Bible
    NKJV Study Bible (2nd ed., large print, 2-color)
    King James Study Bible (2nd ed. full color, from Liberty University)
    NIV Study Bible (2011)
    NIV Zondervan Study Bible (Carson, Gen. Ed., 1st ed.)
    NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible (full color).

Of these listed above, I currently prefer the Wiersbe NKJV Study Bible, which sounds a bit like radio broadcasts of years past by Warren Wiersbe. I used to listen to his broadcasts during long commutes to my job.

I also read the NKJV Super Giant 17-pt type, in red leather soft cover, from Thomas Nelson as my devotional bible. This super giant print bible in the custom print typeface easily focuses my reading attention upon a single verse, word-by-word--in ways smaller compact or carry-around bibles make such word-by-word focusing a little more difficult. I like to read one word over and over, what one preacher would refer to as "the big window word" of a specific verse.

Well, I probably said too much in this late night post about how I read some of my bibles.

How about some of you out there -- in there -- do you have favorite bible-reading practices you can share?

#3 Just_Ahead, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019