1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Companion Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Blessed lady, May 25, 2011.

1. Blessed lady

Blessed lady New Member

Commenteries are by E.W. Bullinger, does any one know of this resource, is it competent ? Thank you. .:jesus:

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    just found this;

3. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have many Bibles in my collection, one of them is the Companion Bible. Some of Bullingers theology is a little off, some of it is good. His work "Figures of Speech in the Bible" is very interesting.

You are asking about the Companion Bible though. For several reasons I never use it. One is that the print font is very small and there is a lot on stuff crammed onto the page. The print formatting is from a different era and is labor intensive for this modern reader to use. In the back of the Bible there are about 200 appendices, some are good, others are downright strange.

There is to be sure a lot of Hebrew and Greek word information on the printed page but it is as I said a very cluttered page. Also, it uses the JKV, nothing wrong with that just that I prefer a modern translation.

In summery, I would not recommend it as a primary study Bible but for a collector it has it's place. I would not repeat Bullinger's theology without double checking it first. I'm aware of what CBD has in their catalog blurb calls this work something like the only study Bible you will ever need but I would love to talk to someone who uses it on a regular basis, I think that it would be a very interesting conversation.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

believe he was a hyper dispy, so basically all 4 Gospels were part of the old "jewish Age" Gospel /Church Age strated with Apostle paul and His wriitings... Church NOT started in acts, but afterwards...

Denied need to water baptise, communion, jesus seron on mount and other sayings pretty much meant/intended just for "transistion" era before Apostle paul and his revelations..