1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Iran and the Bomb

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got thinking about this - some people do not want problems solved - if they are solved, then those folks will have nothing to complain about.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I hear ya, it's a real real shame we aren't all as fond of quietly accepting tyranny as you are.

#22 poncho, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013
  3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Got to thinking about this - some people demand to have all their questions answered - then run away and hide when they get asked to answer one question.

How are we honoring all those brave souls who suffered and died to win our independence and safeguard our liberties by accepting every form of tyranny they suffered and died to free us from?

Why do you suppose that is?

4. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Absolutely! :thumbsup: Iran has close ties to Lebanon and more specifically to Hezbollah and Hamas. (BBC News 2004)

Iran closed the Israeli embassy in Tehran and replaced it with a Palestinian embassy. Iran favors Palestinian national ambitions and officially endorses the replacement of Israel with a Palestinian state. Several Palestinian groups, including Hamas, are Iranian allies.

Syria and Iran are strategic allies. Syria has been called Iran's closest ally. http://www.google.com/search?q=syri...a:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active

Syria and Iran cooperate on smuggling arms to Hezbollah in Lebanon which borders Israel.

Former Presidents Hugo Chavez and Amadinijhad have both described themselves on the world stage as opposed to US imperialism.

Iran has a history of trying to enrich Uranium. And remember it funds arms and advises Hezbollah. Rand Paul himself, a libertarian, has said we should adopt the approach of Ronald Reagan to 'contain Iran'. If this man didn't believe Iran was a threat, why bother with this?

In November 2011, the (IAEA) Board of Governors criticized Iran after an IAEA report concluded that before 2003 Iran likely had undertaken research and experiments geared to developing a nuclear weapons capability. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/18/us-nuclear-iran-iaea-idUSTRE7AG0RP20111118

The IAEA has been unable to conclude that Iran's that Iran's nuclear program was exclusively peaceful.

The UN Security Council demanded that Iran suspend its uranium enrichment program. (Resolution 1696) Why? Iran refused btw.

Then the UN imposed sanctions against Iran (Resolution 1737). Why?

Then (in Resolution 1803), the Council decided to extend those sanctions to additional persons and entities, impose travel restrictions on sanctioned persons, and bar exports of nuclear- and missile-related dual-use goods to Iran. Why?

Also (resolution 1929) imposed a complete arms embargo on Iran, banned Iran from any activities related to ballistic missiles, authorized the inspection and seizure of shipments violating these restrictions, and extended the asset freeze to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard corps. (The United States has opposed the activities of the(IRGC) based on "the group's growing involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as its support for extremists throughout the Middle East). Again...why if Iran is no threat?

The IAEA has consistently stated it is unable to conclude that Iran's nuclear program is entirely peaceful. A February 2013 Report noted that Iran has continued to deny the IAEA access to the military site at Parchin. Citing evidence from satellite imagery that "Iran constructed a large explosives containment vessel in which to conduct hydrodynamic experiments". Such installation could be an indicator of nuclear weapons development.

On 14 January 2013, the Institute for Science and International Security (a U.S. think tank) published a report titled "U.S. Nonproliferation Strategy for the Changing Middle East," which stated that Iran could produce enough weapon-grade uranium for one or more nuclear bombs by the middle of 2014. Therefore, the report recommended that the United States should increase sanctions on Iran in order to curb its ability to develop weapon-grade uranium. In addition the report states: "The president should explicitly declare that he will use military force to destroy Iran's nuclear program if Iran takes additional decisive steps toward producing a bomb."

Imo, people who claim Iran poses no threat have their heads buried in the sand.

5. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

How many times has Iran or Iranian backed groups kidnapped Westerners?

In 2007 Iran kidnapped 15 Royal Navy personnel.

In 2010 an Iranian backed Shia terrorist grouped kidnapped Issa T. Salomi, a US Civilian contractor.

In 2007 Iran kidnapped Robert Levinson [​IMG]

In 2007 5 British men (Including Peter Moore) were kidnapped by Iran by Iran's Revolutionary Guard while in Iraq.

In the '80s Rev. Lawrence Martin Jenco, a Roman Catholic priest, along with Terry Anderson, Rev. Ben Weir, and Thomas Sutherland, were kidnapped Islamic radicals financed by Iran.

Pastor Yousef Nadarkhani had been arrested and given the Death Penalty for practicing Christianity in Iran.

We're supposed to think Iran is not a threat to us? Its ok for this group to enrich Uranium and possibly develop nuclear weapons? The idea is insane.

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

One accolade on his linkedin page jumped out at me:
    "Senior Advisor on issues related to the Western Hemisphere and co-editor of the "Americas Report" at Menges Hemispheric Security Project at Center for Security Policy"

Center for Security Policy = NeoCons!

Take a look at this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Security_Policy

Douglas Feith
    Frank Gaffney
    Richard Perle

and here:
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Center_for_Security_Policy

Elliott Abrams

[Also worth noting that they are funded by one of the Scaife foundations - but no surprise there.]

Does anyone give any credence to these people?
    IMO, history will not be kind to the NeoCons......

Regards,
    BiR

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Good catch BIR. Back in the 80's the neocons were known as the "crazies" among the national security establishment. History may have been shortened because of these scaremongering nitwits.

Would you please try and explain to Dennis the difference between containment and destruction?

I would try but he prefers to ignore me because I saw through his amateurish neocon propaganda right away. Evidently there are still those who give credence to the crazies.

Thanks.

#27 poncho, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  8. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

If anyone still gives credence to anything said/written by the NeoCons, there is really nothing I can do for them. They've already been assimilated.

Regards, hope all is well with you and yours, poncho,
    BiR

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yeah you're prpbably right about that BIR.

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, BiR! I never heard of the guy until I heard him on Book TV a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised to learn of his religion but that would make him fit the classic definition of a neo-con. However, I don't think his analysis of Venezuela and the Bolivarian Revolution is exaggerated. And I do believe that Iran is a threat because of the unnecessary instability in Latin America that gives Iran and China a geographic base close to the USA. Venezuela has had a bloodbath and I would not want to visit the other countries in the Bolivarian Revolution. I was amused when Bolivia's President Evo Morales was delayed on his trip home from Russia. Morales is a pure Indian who was a cocaine grower and advocate, as you know. La Paz at an altitude of 13,000 feet is one of the largest cities in the world that far up in the mountains.

I have decided not to buy his book, but do you think, BiR, that Luis Fleischman just works for those neo-cons without having both feet in the door or do you disagree that Iran has an opening in Venezuela?

11. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

No, I was ignoring you because you were rude and smart-alecky, not because you were making a point. Its quite possible for people to disagree without being rude and calling people names. I'm willing to give you another chance if you can be polite in your comments to me.

And btw, I am vehemently opposed to neocons. John McCain and Lindsey Graham have done a tremendous amount of damage to the GOP and are among the primary reasons I am no longer a Republican. I'm a hard core Christian Conservative.

#31 Dennis324, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yes I was being smart alecky. But then so were the people you sided with. Naw, I can't guarantee I won't be smart alecky in the future because that's my nature. So you can keep your second chance.

BTW, this is a forum dealing with politics people get passionate here if you can't handle that maybe you should think about staying in forums where everyone plays nice.

#32 poncho, Jul 10, 2013
  13. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

#33 Dennis324, Jul 10, 2013
  14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You mean like this?

"Why shouldnt they make fun of your source. You may as well posted an article from Huffington Post or Al Jazeera. The Complete idiot's guide? Run by a guy that claimed George Bush stole the election in Ohio? A guy that dug into Bush's past and tried to turn him into a draft-dodger? A guy who claims that launched an invasion in Iraq under false pretenses? I mean this guy isn't what I'd call a committed conservative."

BTW, Bush did invade Iraq on false pretenses.

#34 poncho, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  15. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Wow, who's being thin-skinned now? Btw...there was nothing hostile or rude in that post. It was merely a disagreement and I questioned your source. You clearly expected it by the comments you had made earlier....gee, kinda like you were hoping someone would.

And (not that I disagree) but Bush invading Iraq has absolutely nothing to do with our discussion.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no evidence to support that. It is the equivalent to saying murders would stop if we legalized them.

17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Then why are world leaders considering legalizing drugs? Evidently they are getting sick of their people dying because of our drug use and America's "war on drugs".

Google world leaders consider legalizing drugs. They seem to think there's enough evidence.

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

19. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not secure our borders and let our addicts go into withdrawal? The USA is the market for the drugs so just shut off the access to the market.

20. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

How do you suppose the bankers that are used to making billions a year laundering the drug cartel's money would react to that CMG? Without all the procedes from the illegal drug trade proping up our fiat economy it would probably collapse in on itself.