1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Constitution Party

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 17, 2008.

?
  1. We need a party like the CP to save America

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. The CP is better than the Dems or Rep

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. There is not much difference in the 3 parties

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. The CP is not as good as the Dems or Rep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The CP is a bunch of right wing nuts

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. other

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

After reading the platform, it seems like a good party. I voted it was better than Republican or Democrat, as no party will save America.

Anyway, there are several factors here. One is the numbers are out there for a third party to win. However, it would take an inspirational leader of that party to achieve such. One would see the Republicans and Democrats unite like never before if such an event ever happened. They would be best of buddies and show their true colors.

It is a risk. Many Republicans will stay home because they cannot stand McCain. Many will vote third party. Many will still vote for McCain to stop the Democrats, be it to no avail.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But not THIS third party. Only hardcore right-wingers would vote for the CP. It would have little to no appeal to anyone other than hyper-conservative Christians. The numbers AREN'T there for this kind of party.

IMO, the only theoretically viable third party would be a moderate party in between the increasing polarizations of the two major parties.

I vehemently disagree with the CP platform on economics. I agree with a few social issues, but that's about it.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I guess I'm hardcore right winger in your book, but in my first election that I vote in I was called middle of the road. I thought JFK was a liberal and for the times he was. But when Ronald Reagan ran he wasn't a liberal, he was called a conservative, but there wasn't a great deal of difference between JFK and Reagan, except Reagan got things done. I would say I've moved a step or two to the right from where I was in the 50's and early 60's but the people have moved miles to the left from where they were at that time, so who is calling who what?

We agree here. In my eyes we have moved way to the left of where I began and if the party isn't to the left of where I came in, it isn't going to work. Our founding fathers whit there good and bad would not be welcome or less it is folks like Thomas Payne or Henry Clay or maybe Franklin folks who will compromise for an answer.

Again we agree, but through my eyes, I wouldn't call what I think you are talking about as moderate, but that is from my view not yours.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conservative, moderate, and liberal are fluid terms. What is conservative today would be considered flaming liberal a few centuries ago.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Stefan,
    You may be right, and from your perspective, I am sure you are. It goes way beyond liberal and conservative. Frankly, I would be grateful for two parties that were liberal and conservative as long as their core purpose was to serve and exist for the benefit of the American people.

It does not matter if you are a conservative Republican, or a liberal Democrat, if your purpose is to gain political power by trampling on the American people, to enrich yourself at the misery of others, to exercise power over others to feed your lust for self indulgence, and in bed with every special interest, corporate, and lobbiest in the nation. It is time for the American people to send the Democratic and Republican parties packing back to the pits of hell where they were born.

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, saturnneptune.

8. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

CP is short for LOSER. Remember Peroutka in 2004? If that's the best the CP can do they are predestined for obscurity and irrelevance.

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I voted for Peroutka in 2004, I think he is a great Christian Constitutionalist, and thought he ran a great campaign. I never expected him to come anywhere close to winning any states, but I was still proud to vote for him. Why don't you like him?

The current two parties have done a great job of making it almost impossible for a third-party candidate to get their name on the ballots. They even agreed to refuse to participate in a national debate if a third-party candidate is invited after Ross Perot.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Then dont vote for him.

11. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

JGrubbs,

We talked about this in 2004. Remember?

Peroutka was not even known in his own locale for involvment in his community or local government. His Neighbors didn't even know who he was and here he was running for the Presidency of the USA.

People who want to Change America for the Better have to garner a following by working with Americans to foster change. Sometimes it's a long battle. I just don't see the CP making that kind of grassroots investment.

All I see and hear are a few articles and a few press releases every 4 years and then silence for another 4.

The NRA is more effective in politics than is the CP and perhaps that is the ultimate answer for this party - they should become a Lobby and actually do something to preserve our way of life rather than just talk about it every 4 years..

12. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Don't worry - I won't.

But I also will reserve the right to speak for or against the party and its candidate as I observe their efforts.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Of course, and that profound decision will have a major impact on the 2008 election and American history.

14. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Stranger things have happened!

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I like the CP platform and agree with them on the vast majority of the issues...and i would have gladly voted that way if Rudy would have been the GOP nominee.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

For me it would have been Rudy of Romney. Unless McCain really shows colors he has not yet between now and November, I will probably vote for him, not with any pleasure.

The CP has their nominating convention in April. That result is also still to be determined.