1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Contextual definition of "come to me" in Jn. 6:37

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Aug 15, 2016.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am going to break down the debate over John 6 into separate bite size subjects so that the other thread won't be so overwhelming to read.

This is strictly a contextual based discussion for what the context of John 6 will support and what it will not support.

THE ISSUE: Do the words "come to me" in John 6:37 refer to a STATE or an ACTION. Some argue that this phrase means "to place in Christ" or "arrival in Christ." I believe such a definition is completely repudiated by the immediate context of John 6:37 and that the correct contextual definition is "believing on him for eternal life."

THE CONTEXTUAL EVIDENCE:

A. The whole preceding context is about coming to Christ for other reasons than for eternal life.

(1) Some came to him because of miracles - v. 2 "because they saw his miracles"
    (2) Some came to him because they wanted civil power - v. 15 "by force, to make him a king,"
    (3) These came to him for food - v. 26 "because ye did eat of the loaves"

B. John 6:30-36 is about believing in him for eternal life in relation to the metaphor of Christ as bread of life.

30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?
    31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
    32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
    33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
    34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
    35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
    36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

Verse 35-36 define coming to him as coming to him by faith for eternal life, the act of faith in him for eternal life. I will dedicate a post just to these two verses later. But sufficient to say now, the phrase "he that cometh to me" is parallel to "he that beleiveth on me".

C. The conclusion of John 6:37-39 is verse 40 and that defines coming as believing in him for eternal life:

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

D. The bread metaphor that introduces coming to Christ as beleiving on him for eternal life in verse 35 is picked back upon in verses 48-49 and again coming to Christ is defined as coming to him by faith for eternal life:

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
    48 I am that bread of life.

E. The metaphor of eating and drinking in verse 35 established as coming to Christ and partaking of him by faith for eternal life is repeated in verse 54.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

CONCLUSION. There is NOTHING in John 6 that states clearly or even infers that "come to me" refers to a STATE meaning to be "placed in Christ" or "arrival in Christ", but the consistent and repeated evidence is that it describes the ACTION of "believing in Christ for eternal life." John 6:37 and the words "come to me" mean to believe on him for eternal life as the conclusion in verse 40 proves.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, For me as a former Catholic it was also who He was/is as well.
    Not a dead body on a crucifix but God come in the flesh - alive in heaven.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1