1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Dangers of Non-Accredited Degrees

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Oct 5, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yet, sad to say, it is still happening.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that the pastor who doesn't have solid Seminary training, especially from an accredited institution is somehow not honoring God? If so, are you sure that's what you want to say?

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. My statement was not an absolute state, for I said it is reflected best in accredited institutions."

2. I'm sure you would agree that accredited schools are better prepared to train an individual going into the ministery. But there are always exceptions.

3. Why would a person go to a school where he only reads a book and answer a few questions and then obtain a degree after he has finished 15 such classes. He can do that on his own.

4. But an accredited seminary is more focus and allows for better training. That is all I am saying.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

Now I agree with you on that Martin, that is deceitful. But it does not take but a little research on the part of the student to learn the truth. We can't put all the blame on the institutions.
    No, sorry TCGreek, I would not agree with this. In fact many accredited schools are not doctrinally sound and do not prepare individuals adequately for ministry. Now I believe strongly in education and I think a pastor has a responsiblity to educate himself as well as possible, but there is truth in some of the stories of preachers being ruined by seminaries and leaving them with their faith shattered and questioning fundamentals of the Christian Faith.

While there are some accredited schools that are still Biblically sound I would say they are in the minority. Yes there are many unaccredited schools that also fail the grade, but my point is that when preparing for Christian ministry the doctrine of the school is much more important than their accreditation. I would take a Trinty graduate over a Princeton graduate as my pastor any day of the week.

TC, other than the 6 SBC seminaries, which accredited seminaries would you recomend? Now I like the programs at Luther Rice and Liberty, but both required a greater commitment than I was able to give. Which schools do you like?

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Off the top of my head: Master's Seminary (Macarthur), Wheaton College, Trinity International (formerly TEDS), and Westminster.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I second TC's list and I would add to his list Reformed Theological Seminary, Southern Evangelical Seminary, Knox Theological Seminary, Temple Baptist Seminary, Wheaton College, Denver Seminary, Talbot Seminary, Moody Bible Institute, Dallas Theological Seminary, Beeson Divinty School, Asbury Theological Seminary, and others I can't think of right now. I would also add Liberty and Luther Rice, but Tentmaker already mentioned them.

==I don't know if I would agree with that. Yes, there are many accredited seminaries out there that are heretical and worthless. However there are many accredited seminaries that are Biblically sound. Some of them are big and others are small, but there are plenty of them. Which side as more? I don't know, but I would not say that the minority of seminaries are Biblically sound. I would agree that Doctrine is more important than accreditation, but the wonderful thing today is that we don't have to compromise on either front.

==For a pastor, I agree. My last pastor had his Masters and Doctorate from Covington (associates from Mid-America). He was a wonderful man of God, preacher, and teacher. However I credit most of his learning to his own hard work while at Covington and since. He knows Covington is not as good as many other schools, he told me that, but it was his only choice at the time (which was before the rise of online degrees, etc) since he did not have the money to move to a seminary town and pay tuition.

For a school teacher, I would rather the Princeton graduate. Why? Because he would be much more knowledgable of various scholarly issues than someone who graduated from Covington or Trinity C/S. I would rather, of course, that my seminary professors graduate from Trinity Evangelical, Wheaton, a Southern Baptist School, or another such major evangelical seminary.

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor?

Martin,

Who is your pastor, I am also an ADiv grad of MABTS?

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sent you a pm. :thumbs:

9. Ehud

Ehud New Member

Accreditation Hog Wash

Accreditation for religious schools is a sham. Spend $40,000 to have your Bible (foundation) taken from you. Most if not all accredited seminaries and colleges graduates cannot even say the Bible in their hand is God’s word 100%. Most grads could not even find God’s preserved word. Most grads do not even know God’s word has been corrupted and how. Do not fall for the intellectual accredited hog wash. You will come out with less faith in God and his word than you went in.
    Save your money if you are studying for the ministry and find a school, institute that loves the Book and souls first and foremost over their intellectual achievements and degrees. If you do not love the Book you cannot love God.

EHUD & CO

2 Timothy 2:7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. A.V 1611, 1739, 2000:thumbs:

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ehud and Co. Response

Ehud,

My dear brother, I really do love you. The other brother and I were talking about the education that his pastor and I received at Mid America.

1. It most certainly did not (and does not) cost $40,000.

2. It believes (and always has) that the Bible is the Inspired and Inerrant Word of God.

Please do not go about as a "loose cannon" making strange and prejorative statements just b/c you are an anti-Intellectual fundamentalists and feel that all of us who are lettered are ranting and raving liberals who believe in the JEDP.:tonofbricks:

Please accept my apology ahead-of-time if I have caused any offense--none was intended!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ehud,

My first response to the slander in your post was outrage. 100% of the things you said simply does not apply to evangelical seminaries like Liberty, Southeastern ,etc. We, I speak as a seminary graduate, believe the Bible is the Word of the Living God, 100% of it. Most graduates of evangelical seminaries come out with their faith in God's Word strengthened.

And, btw, we don't believe that God's Word is restricted to an english translation that was commissioned by a king who persecuted Bible believing protestants. We believe that the Word of God was given to the writers of Scripture and has been passed down to us. All english translations are just that, translations of the Word of God. Some are better than others, but all are translations. There is no Biblical reason to believe that one english translation is the only true Word of God. Despite my the first sentence of this paragraph, I really like the King James Translation. I believe it is a solid, faithful translation. However I strongly disagree with the unBiblical and unsupportable King James Only position. And that is what my statement above represents.

O, and I did not spend near $40,000 on my seminary education. I don't know where you got that figure from, but I would love to see some supporting evidence. Can you provide any supporting evidence for any of your claims?

#31 Martin, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  12. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

Does anyone have an opinion on Hyles Anderson University in Hammond, IN., & Pensacola Baptist College? I know that Hyles in unacredited but I'm not sure about Pensacola. My daughter {16} is considering a career in nursing & the pastor keeps recomending these 2 colleges. Frankly, I disagree with his recomendations, as I don't want to jeopardize my daughter's future job prospects by sending her to the wrong college. Thank you for replying.

13. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think if your daughter is considering a career in nursing, she needs to go to a nursing school, not a bible college. She needs to find one that meets all the certification requirements for the state she plans to be working in. Just my opinion.

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Do you live close to a community college. Many community colleges have excellent nursing school programs and your daughter could live at home. She could then work as a nurse and continue her education if she so desires (B.S.N.).

15. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

If your daughter is to become a nurse it is imperative she attend and accredited college.:godisgood:

16. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ehud,

I know for a fact that you are silly.

OK, personally, I have a secular degree and after that I took several courses at Philidelphia College of Bible and Moody. This was in prep to attend a Seminary for a MDIV. The last time I was in class was 10+ years ago. Now I want to get back to the education and because I had the good sense to go to good schools that have accrediation, I do not have to back track.

Doctrine is good and yes there are some accredited college that have lousy doctrine, but there are some non-accredited schools with lousy doctrine.

While a personal decision, accrediation is more of a positive unless you are a neo-fundamentalist and or have a chip on your shoulder. Get your degree and then pick up a theology book from your favorite theologian and learn your favorite doctrine. There is more to an BS or MA degree than your 40 minutes of pulpit time per week.

17. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

Ok, thanx for the advise. I have another concern. My daughter is attending a church school & is a junior. I believe she is not being properly prepared to enter nursing school as she is not getting the proper courses, i.e., the bare minimum in studies such as biology, chemistry, & math. The instructors are the pastor, asst. pastor, & another church member who's education & qualifications to teach are in my opinion, highly questionable. I'm concerned because I'm afraid that my daughter will not be able to pass the entrance exams to get into nursing school, which is highly competitive to begin with. I'm also concerned as the pastor has made it known that he doesn't agree with my daughter's decision to become a nurse & made the statement to my wife that "I don't believe that's appropriate". Why anyone would try to discourage a young woman from becoming a nurse is beyond me. I believe nursing is a highly honorable profession. I would appreciate your advise. Should I pull my daughter from this school, which is going to create hard feelings with the pastor & asst. pastor who is the pastor's son? Thank you.

18. strykero1

strykero1 New Member

Ok, thanx for the advise. I have another concern. My daughter is attending a church school & is a junior. I believe she is not being properly prepared to enter nursing school as she is not getting the proper courses, i.e., the bare minimum in studies such as biology, chemistry, & math. The instructors are the pastor, asst. pastor, & another church member who's education & qualifications to teach are in my opinion, highly questionable. I'm concerned because I'm afraid that my daughter will not be able to pass the entrance exams to get into nursing school, which is highly competitive to begin with. I'm also concerned as the pastor has made it known that he doesn't agree with my daughter's decision to become a nurse & made the statement to my wife that "I don't believe that's appropriate". Why anyone would try to discourage a young woman from becoming a nurse is beyond me. I believe nursing is a highly honorable profession. I would appreciate your advise. Should I pull my daughter from this school, which is going to create hard feelings with the pastor & asst. pastor who is the pastor's son? Thank you.

19. North Carolina Tentmaker

Strykero1

Wow, that sounds like a bad situation. What does your wife think? Is it going to create problems for you at home to pull her out? You need to be together on this. My gut feeling is to get her away, not necessarily because of the educational standards of the school but because of the pastors attitude of disaproval. Nursing is certainly an honorable career that will give your daughter opportunities to minister to others.

Mainstreeming her as a junior would be better than as a senior but it may be to late for this year. Are you considering a public school? As far as getting into nursing school her test scores will be more important than any other factor. Get her enroled in a supplemental SAT/ACT prep class in th evenings and make sure she takes them at least a couple times each. She can take them as a junior and then again next year. When the nursing schools see that she comes from a church school the test scores will be even more important.

She can also start right now with volunteer work. Most hospitals have volunteer positions for high school students that will give her exposure to the job of nursing. There are two great benefits for this. First, she will see what the job is really all about (and it aint all about cute white uniforms and paper hats), and second the volunteer work will look great on her application to nursing school. Of course the third benefit that the Lord might actually put her in a position where she can help someone in a time of need should not be overlooked either.

As far as her not getting the proper classes in high school to prepare her. If you are really worried about that you can get a supplemental home school cirriculum for just those subjects. Using a unit study or paces type of program she can do just those classes at home. She could even do them over the summer if you wanted to. If she is really serious there are also summer camps she could attend. There is a really good one at Pensecola that I have heard good things about. Here is a link for the camp.

http://www.pcci.edu/SummerCamps/Nursing.html

Now this camp is at Pensecola Christian College, who I am not wild about, but they do have an acredited nursing program. Here is a quote from their web site:
    Now you posted earlier about 'Pensecola Baptist College.' If you ment Pensecola Christian College then this is the same place. BUT if you ment Pensecola Bible Institute then that is Peter Ruckman's school and is an entire different matter all together. If your pastor is recomending that school then run away, run away fast.

20. North Carolina Tentmaker

Styrkero1

Since you posted earlier about Hyles Anderson I checked their website and they do not have a nursing program.

If this were my daughter I would do several things. First, I would get her volunteering at a local hospital. Second, I would send her off to a camp like the one I gave you the link for. Third, I would set up college visits for PCC and BJU both of which have accredited nursing programs. Fourth, I would investigate local junior college options which would let her stay at home at least an extra year. Where do you live? Are these options open for you?