1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The DaVinci Code Movie

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by JRG39402, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Word Walker

Word Walker New Member

Hi guys,

I agree that we cannot stand idly by when something that attacks the very core of Christianity is introduced to millions!

This novel is not lauding something of the world, such as the occult. It denies the very essence of Christ!

Brian, I think those tracks are an excellent idea!

We shouldn't so easily discount the power of fiction. Especially when it's so enshrouded in fact and historicity as Marcia has pointed out.

Good fiction (and this is a "Best Seller" folks) suspends disbelief and makes us wonder. This book has the power to make a nonbeliever "wonder" if Jesus was merely a man, and Christianity a hoax!

And this book is getting plenty of coverage! I've seen several shows on the History channel that discuss it thoroughly. And now, one of the most popular actors of our time is starring in a major hollywood release of it!

Don't get me wrong, a short story writer myself, I love to read a good thought-provoking novel, or watch a good movie. But I believe we ought to stand prepared to answer the heresies in this one.
    Seems to me, an evil wind has already blown it across three mediums (publication, tv, and now a motion picture).

Sorry for the length of this post.

In Christ,
    Word Walker

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I must say I am amazed at the response to this book/movie.

Do you really think a fanciful novel full of 20th century fabrications can cause people to doubt God any more than they do? If any Christian group has anything to fear from the book it would be the Catholic Church.

Why is everyone so afraid of a man's novel which no one even claims to be factual?

Are we so weak that we cannot defend our faith from fiction? The Lord has given me 2-3 chances to witness as a result of people reading the book. A lost lady who comes to our Bible study asked me "Why would anyone believe a book which is just a few years old instead of the Bible which is 2000 years old?" Do we have so little confidence in the church to think they really can't discern truth from error?

Much ado about nothing.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Our pastor said that materials were going to be offered to use as witnessing tools with the movie. I haven't seen them yet.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

This is where proper discipleship comes in. If you are well grounded in the Faith you can use discussions about this movie as an opportunity to tell the truth.
    From what I get about this movie it was all taken out of the "gnostic gospels"and other early materials which were found to be less than factual.These things should be fairly easy to point out with a great deal of confidence.We can then take the discussion to real Christianity.We all should have some grounding in apologetics.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

There are many, mostly conspiracy theory types, who claim that it is factual, in spite of what the author or anyone else says.

Do I think it can cause them to doubt God? Not really. But, it gives them the ability to claim, "See, I was right about Jesus..."

I have an acquaintance who believed this stuff before the book came out, almost down to every lie, and this book just vindicated his beliefs in his own mind.

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

My opinion, just shut up. It's that simple. If you don't like it fine. Maybe take the Bible and use clear reason and show someone you care about all the dumb logic in the book. Especially all the 'ifs'. But the Church should not boycott this film that will only serve as a means of getting it more press. I choose not to read it even though it's fiction. There's just some things you shouldn't mess with and Jesus having a wife is one of them.

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

In all humbleness, C4K, I must say that the authors of the book have been interviewed on 20/20, CNN, The History Channel, etc. and claim that the only fictional part of the book is the actual characters acting out the parts as they find the "truth" that there is a feminine side to Christianity and the chalise was Mary Magdeline who they claim is Jesus' wife. Blasphemy at its finest....

This book has far outsold many books and has stayed on the bestseller list for weeks on end. Obviously, many people are paying attention to this book and beginning to wonder about the truth behind it.

We, as solid Christians, know the truth, but a person who is either a new Christian, one not well grounded in his/her faith or a non-Christian who we might try to witness to may have their faith shaken.

Not only that, but the author mentions the other book (the so-called "fact" book) the one that is suing Dan Brown. This may all be simple publicity. A lot of times these are fabricated to make a big publicity stunt. Even if it is not, people are watching this and the earlier book has now made the best sellers list even though it was printed years ago.

Sad indeed [​IMG]

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The theories about Christ in the DaVinci Code are true in that they are very real theories held by various real groups and individuals in history. Whether those theories have merit is left up to the reader. Obviously none of us here feel they do and if we take the time to study the rest of documented history and not just picking and choosing "facts" that appear to support certain theories, it becomes quite evident that the theories presented in the book have little to no merit and have easily been debunked.

9. Karen

Karen Active Member

If you are referring to Marcia's post, please read it and consider it again. She made a lot of sense, in my opinion. (Not implying that others didn't, LOL.)

Karen

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

OK i'm convinced I won't boycott the book or the movie but I'm still not going to buy the book or read it and as with so many other movies I don't go to see I won't go to see this one iether.

11. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Marcia, I hope you aren't indicating that the Council of Nicea created the canon of scripture.

12. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

C4K said:

Why is everyone so afraid of a man's novel which no one even claims to be factual?

The story in the novel may not be presented as factual, but the underlying conspiracy has been. I suggest you familiarize yourself with a book titled Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Henry Lincoln, Michael Baigent, and Richard Leigh. You will find this risible tome in the non-fiction section of your local library. It is in fact Baigent and Leigh who are currently suing Dan Brown for plagiarizing them.

That is why The Da Vinci Code is of such concern. It presents a conspiracy theory, which undermines the truth of the Scriptures, as the factual basis of a fictional story.

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Ignore it!

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is very scary. I agree with old regular.

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

OldRegular, you are exactly right. I do think, however, that we need to have a response ready if we are asked what we think about it. I have had several people come to me and ask me what I thought about it.

Another thing, if people don't think this book is having an effect, look at how long it has been a best-seller. Also, note, that there is another thread going in another subject that asks the question is Jesus married.

On the positive side, the History Channel did a review of Dan Brown's story and punched holes all through it, coming to the conclusion that he was wrong on just about everything.

I was surprised that a secular channel would do this. I commend the producers and writers of the show.

It just shows that fallacies can be found in all of his theories.

It is said, because I did read the book and the plotting and story line were quite interesting. I felt guilty the entire time I was reading it, but had trouble putting it down. THAT is what is scary about this type of literature.

16. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The husband of a friend is over in India right now, checking out some of the fallacies and conspiracy theories that are circulating about Jesus around the world. Not checking them out to debunk them, or even to see if there is any truth, but because he believes they are truth, and that is percieved as being "spiritual" by so much of the world today. Conspiracy theories abound, and those who buy into them abound, and it is truly a scary thing.

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

The problem with simply ignoring things like The Da Vinci Code is, that is not what we are commanded to do.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians,

Our battle with Hollywood, the intelligentsia, or what have you is a spiritual battle. Paul says that the way to fight this kind of spiritual warfare is effective apologetics. We "destroy arguments" - to do so we must understand those arguments. We "take every thought captive to obey Christ" - in other words, we take the secular arguments, shine the light of Scripture on them, and debunk them.

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Sort of like a lawyer arguing that a law is unconstitutional without ever having read the US Constitution.

19. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Evangelicalism has wanted so severely to be embraced by the mainstream culture that it has tried every avenue there is entertainment wise to present the Gospel.
    Grant it there has been some good things done I suppose such as movies or what have you. I would say that for the most part more harm has been done.
    In trying to make the Gospel more appealing to the masses and less offensive what has been produced is a kind of generic, dumbed down kind of a message. Evangelicalism with its desire to be more attractive has brought the Gospel down to the level of every other religion, crackpot cult what have you.
    With evangelical's desire to be entertained they themselves produced a new market in the entertainment industry. In so doing you have people marketing religious movies etc... where some are good some are gonna confuse people more. Some are outright blasphemy.
    Yet you have to take the good the bad and the ugly when your playing hollywood's game.
    Instead of keeping the sacred Gospel message seperate from the secular by trying to "mainstream" it evangelicals have only brought more questions, ridicule, doubt upon the Gospel message by those who are skeptical or those who are enemies of the cross.
    I guess what I'm trying to say if it makes any sense is the fact that Trying to go "Hollywood" with the message of the cross has been and will be a giant failure.
    When will evangelical leaders, movers and shakers ever learn that nobody likes a "kiss up" kind of guy.
    I think that is what alot of the people that shape the face of today's evangelicalism do when it comes to hollywood, media etc....
    They suck up to people. "Please look at us, we are really cool. We can be just like you, cool, hip and still be christians. Please respect us, please like us, can we play with you,please please?"
    Nobody takes a kisser upper seriously. Thus the more evangelicalism trys to suck up to the world the less seriously evangelicals will be taken. Or shall I say they will be overtaken.
    Satan owns this world and Hollywood is one of his fortresses. Evangelicals won't change hollywood. Hollywood will change the face of evangelicalism. It already has.
    The old saying is true. You can't put a good apple in a bucket of rotten ones and think the rotten ones will turn good. The rotten ones will overtake the good apple everytime.
    This is what has happened to evangelicalism. She has hopped into the bed of the world now she has become just one more of her lovers.
    James talks about christians whoring around with the world. This is what evangelicalism has done. It is what Israel did in the OT.
    The american church will pay severely for its whoring around. Mark it down.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Marcia, I hope you aren't indicating that the Council of Nicea created the canon of scripture. </font>[/QUOTE]I said that because it is common among many unbelievers (especially New Agers) to make pronouncements about the Council of Nicea such as that is when they threw reincarnation out of the Bible, and things like that. Origen's belief in the soul's pre-existence is turned into a debate on reincarnation. I've heard other false things stated about the Council of Nicea as well.