1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Day Christ Died

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 28, 2014.

?
  1. Wed

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Thur

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Fri

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Sat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other answer

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Christ did not die

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your proof it is not literal?

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree wholeheartedly. Good stuff.

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Post #9

If He were in the grave for three days and three nights, then He would have risen on the fourth day

But scripture states over and over again that He rose on the third day

And the guards were placed at the tomb until the third day

You can hang your hat on Him being in the grave for a literal three days and three nights (rising on the fourth day), or you can go with the two dozen or so which say He rose "on the third day"

But you cannot have both in the same sense, at the same time.

But, if you meant to ask if I have corroboration, here is one link:

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/3days-3nights.html

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take the Thursday position. But, I'm more than willing to hold Good Friday services. What better day to preach the substatutionary atonement of Our Lord.

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the reason I posted both Mark 16:1 and 2. In 1 I believe is is speaking of a specific sabbath the 15th day of the first month and the reason for the singular, however in v2 the structure is because to show the first day of a seven day week is is written as in from sabbath to sabbath and the first thereof day following sabbath.

However the structure of Matt 1 appears to me to show both being both words doe sabbath are in the plural. After the sabbaths 15th day and weekly
    and on the first of sabbath to sabbath.

Once again I confess I know, no Greek.

I will have to leave it up to you Greek fellers to work all that out.

6. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it could have been both after and on if it happened at an exact time.

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just for the record. Jesus said.

Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world. But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Jesus was the Passover lamb which puts the Passover very near the spring equinox. Therefore I assume if Jesus said there were twelve hours in the day relative to night then he also there were twelve hours in the night.

Jesus said. The Son of man would be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Whatever, the heart of the earth is.

I believe we can assume that God is fairly exact relative to; But when the fulness of the time was come. G4:4

On the third day, in three days, after three days, will be three days and three nights in.

I would say, will be three days and three nights in, would be the more definitive of all and that all the rest could fall within, three days and three nights.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

The difficulty arises over whether each day and night was 12 hours long, or whether a partial day or night could be counted as a day or night.

If three days and three nights means 72 hours, then Jesus would have been placed in the tomb almost precisely at sunset on Wednesday, which would have been the beginning of Thursday to the Jew. Thus, you have Thursday night and day (24 hours), Friday night and day (24 hours), and Saturday night and day (24 hours). Jesus would have to arise at almost precisely sunset, the beginning of Sunday in this case. This does not seem to fit the story well however.

If partial days and nights are considered days and nights there are less problems. Jesus died on Thursday afternoon and was placed in the grave before sunset. He may have only been in the grave several hours before sunset, but this would be the first day. Then you have sunset, which is Friday to the Jew (1st night), Friday morning (2nd day), Saturday evening (2nd night) and morning (3rd day), and then at sunset it would be Sunday (3rd night). Jesus could rise anytime during the night before sunrise, it would not necessarily have to be a full 12 hours night-time.

I personally believe that partial days/nights were considered days/nights in the account.

9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was all - until, on, and after the third day - with no relation at all to an exact time.

He died somewhere around 3:00 in the afternoon (Matt 27:45-46, Mk 15:33-37, Lk 23:44-46), which would have been close to three hours before the day ended/next day began.

After He died, and before the Sabbath began, in (approx.) 3 hours, Joseph of Arimathea got permission to take the body, prepare it and place it in the tomb.

All that is to say that if the three days and three nights were literal, then a 3:00 death wouldn't jibe, either. For then if He rose on the first day of the week, He would have been in the grave longer than 3/3 (supposing a Wed crucifixion) or less than 3/3 (supposing a Thu or Fri crucifixion)

Wednesday crucifixion would have Him touching 5 days, Thursday crucifixion would have Him touching 4 days

So now we're stuck rejecting a couple dozen passages which declare it was on the third day, and we're also stuck recreating a time frame that allows for an exact 6:00pm death and resurrection, with no time to prepare the body and bury it.

Honestly, I am not assertive about any day of the week. I just think it's detrimental to assert a particular day of the week based primarily on an English-literal rendering of a Hebrew idiom.

As OldRegular accurately pointed out, the most important aspect of it all is that He did not stay in the grave.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Not so, Thursday afternoon works if partial days/nights count as days/nights

Thursday afternoon 3 hours- 1st day
    Friday evening- 1st night
    Friday morning- 2nd day
    Saturday evening- 2nd night
    Saturday morning- 3rd day
    Sunday evening anytime before sunrise- 3rd night.

Thursday works.

11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree 100% that Thursday works if partial days are counted as days. I've seen excellent cases made for Thursday or Friday.

I was alluding to the notion that a day is exactly 12 hours, and a night is exactly 12 hours.

If 3 days and 3 nights were only exactly 12 hours each, then we're in trouble with a whole lot of scripture - all because of only one verse

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can, three days and three nights, be exactly 12 hours each?

Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world. But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him. John 11:9,10 KJV

How many hours would you walk using the above text if you walked for three days and stumbled around in the dark for two nights?

How many hours using your bible?

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was on the Cross the evening before the Sabbath Day. Friday.

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the fourteenth day of Nisan always a preparation day?

15. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a matter of using the above text, percho. It's a matter of recognizing an idiom.

ONE verse says that He would be in the ground for three days and three nights.

20 or so verse say that He rose ON the third day.

Those two cannot both be taken in the same literal sense.

Most people who want to adamantly push this notion of a literal 3 days and 3 nights will advocate a Wednesday crucifixion, because there is simply not 3 full days and three full nights using any other day of the week

BUT, Wednesday is far too early to say that He rose ON the third day.

Suppose, for the sake of this argument, that He died at 3:00 on Wednesday (see the scriptures I already referenced as to the time of day). And let's agree on that Wednesday being the 14th of Nisan

The next day started at 6:00pm He would have had to be in the ground BEFORE 6:00, or else those preparing His body would have broken the Sabbath restriction against working. Even if it were 1 minute before 6:00pm, He would have been in the tomb ON the 14th,

The 15th would be Wed 6pm to Thu 6pm
    The 16th would be Thu 6pm to Fri 6pm
    The 17th would be Fri 6pm to Sat 6pm

In order to fulfill a FULL three days and three nights in the grave, He would have risen AFTER the 17th was fully complete. In other words, even if it were 6:00:01 pm, He would have risen ON the 18th, by at least one second.

He would have touched 5 separate days - 14, 15, 16, 17, 18. Albeit, only by one minute and one second, but if you're trying to press an exact time frame, then those 61 seconds are critical.

So, He would not have risen ON THE THIRD DAY, as is stated in at least a dozen scriptures
    Why would the Chief priests ask for guards UNTIL the third day, knowing He had promised to rise AFTER the third day ??

You're barking up the wrong tree when you start with an idiom that is stated ONCE, and then twist or reject a couple of dozen passages which stand in stark contrast to a literal understanding of that idiom.

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone determined just what the heart of the earth,is, implies?

thus shall be the Son of man be in

concerning the resurrection (from the dead) of the Christ that not was left the soul of him in Hades

When did the soul enter Hades?

Was the Son of man dead for three days and three nights or was the Son of man entombed three days and three nights.

Does this matter relative to the start time of the three days.

'And concerning that day and the hour no one hath known -- not even the messengers who are in the heaven, not even the Son -- except the Father. Matt 24:36

Just any day of the week, just any hour of the day?

17. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Jesus had been whatever he was suppose to be for 72 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds and 0 milliseconds would he have been.

Three days and three nights
    on the third day
    in three days
    after the third day?

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. Is March 3 always a Monday? We're told it was preparation day for the Sabbath.

19. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious about the poll.

"Other Answer" and "Christ Did Not Die" each received one vote.

Would those voters care to offer a position? I'm speculating about one answer, but I'd rather not.

20. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have wondering the same.