1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Days Before Accreditation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by TCGreek, Mar 2, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Of interest to me, is the beginning of accreditation in America. When did it begin? What were its goals? How do we evaluate institutions before the days of accreditation? Has accreditation been overrated?

2. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Accreditation began in the 60's as a means of institutional accountability. The best brief description I have found on the web is at
    http://www.napcis.org/history.html

"The practice of accreditation in the United States began in the early 1960's as a means for post-secondary educational institutions (colleges and universities) to demonstrate to the Federal government a basic level of quality in their institution and programs for the purpose of certifying eligibility to receive Federal funds, which include Stafford loans, grants, and research monies.

A non-governmental peer process of evaluation of post-secondary educational institutions and programs was established, developed and administered by private educational associations and commissions of regional or national scope.

The United States Department of Education recognizes, for the purpose of accrediting institutions of post-secondary education, six regional accrediting agencies, and one national accrediting agency. The recognition by the United States Department of Education of accrediting agencies applies ONLY to post-secondary education."

#2 Inadequate in Myself, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2007
  3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Best or worst?

The problem is the quoted article is misleading, inaccurate and simply wrong on several points. Accreditation did NOT begin in the early 1960's. It has been around much longer than fifty years. SACS, for example, was established around 1895. Accreditation became more important in the 1960's with the advent of federal funding and federal programs. Also, they overlooked some DoE recognized accreditors of post-secondary institutions--the DETC, for example.

4. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected.