1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The death blow to the anti-removing of the commandments view...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gunther, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Jim Dobson is on your side now. Not exactly the person you want representing biblical, actual Christianity.

He is the ultimate moralist.

I prefer to be Christian.

2. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

*attack deleted*

[ August 28, 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

3. Gunther

Gunther New Member

I will side with Christ, Paul, Peter, and John. All who said nothing about political activism. In fact, it could be argued that they focused on other things, like um, the gospel.

[ August 28, 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

4. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Gunther said:
    Isn't it strange that that is what I am doing. I tell you what. Do your thing as a foot and I will do my thing as a hand and then maybe the Kingdom of God can be glorified by both. [​IMG]

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now this just may be the most common-sense statement made about this whole affair!!!

I hated to see the decision go as it did, but, even though it means agreeing with some that I seldom agree with, no sin has been committed by the removal of the stone.

I'm in total agreement that, in reality, this is NOT about the 10 C's, but a problem with judicial activism and overbearing federal intervention in state affairs.

That being said, IMNSHO, the best course Judge Moore could have taken would be to resign his position and become another "Rosa Parks" against the feds.

As to whether he (Moore) is following God's will---who are you, or you, or me to make that determination????

Act 5:35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.
    Act 5:36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.
    Act 5:37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.
    Act 5:38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
    Act 5:39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Personally, I have no great desire to find myself in this situation just because I don't agree with the turn of events!

6. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

gunther said:
    Now my question for the moderator is why is this attack on Dobson kept, but when I replied to Gunther about his judgmental statement on Dobson, it is deleted as an attack. I don't agree with Dobson on some things, but I do believe he is saved. He is not a pure moralist, either. I have been around pure moralist and Dobson is not one. He just believes in right and wrong and sppeaks his mind.

7. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jailminister -

This moderator is rather tolerant of many statements and does not really like having his name displayed at the bottom of anyone else's post. However, your implication that another board member is not a Christian (i.e. "Gunther, why don't you try being a Christian?") is not allowed by the rules of this site.

As you have been called down before, and seeing as how you have over 300 posts now, I would think that you would have learned the conduct expected on this site by now.

Since you haven't, it is my responsibility to maintain the rules by implementing my moderator abilities by deleting your attack, the same way I removed your name from one of the offended's post yesterday as he was trying to "call you to task" with it.

The obvious feud between the two of you has become quite tiresome for me and I'm sure many of the other readers of this forum. If you had left the editing unquestioned, I would have left it alone. If you had asked for an explanation in private, I would have given you one in private. Since you asked me in the public forum, I am returning your answer to you.

Thank you for your continued orderly and rule abiding contributions.

Clint Kritzer

8. poetrob68

poetrob68 New Member

I am new but I have to agree with both sides.
    There has to be order. If we can't hold
    discussions without bashing each other,
    Like I was always told, " Don't Talk to
    each other."
    I am not impressed at all with personal attacks.
    They shouldn't be allowed. If I did it, God would
    not let me sleep until I made it right.
    If we can't agree can we at least respect each
    other?
    Besides I forgot my boxing gloves. :D

9. Justified

Justified New Member

Though I don't agree with the direction that Mr. Dobson has gone in the past 10 years, I do believe that the Lord uses him to see souls saved. And still some how bring some of the extreme left Christian Brothers to move some what to the right.
    [​IMG]

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If Judge Moore were to step down from the bench to become a preacher........he would be taking a GIANT step UP!

If ya'll are talking about the James Dobson of Focus on the Family, I am proud he is on our side.

The death blow hasn't been given at all. The war isn't even over yet! Just because a battle is lost does not mean the war will be...

[​IMG]
    §ue

11. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Clint, I asked my question to the moderator openly because I never said that gunther was not saved. My question was his attack on Dobson was not Christlike. As far as I can see that is not against the rules. If so please let me know where. I may not agree with Dobson on everything, but I do believe he is saved. Gunther is the one who attack him, yet his post stayed.

If you are unable to reply, due to preconcieved ideas about me, then have Dr. Bob reply.

Now have a great day. [​IMG]

12. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jailminister -

As James Dobson is a public figure, controversy is sure to ensue regarding his stands, statements, and motivations. It is unrealistic to think that opinions that counter his position will not arise. In the same way, the board is peppered with similar commentary on Jack Hyles, Billy Graham, Jerry Falwell, Pope John Paul II, George Bush, Britney Spears, etc.

Personal expressions concerning a public figure are allowable on this board as they do not violate the rules nor the law. In the same way, newspapers and magazines are protected against libel for editorial commentary.

On the other hand, Gunther is NOT a public figure but is rather a contributor to the discussions of this website. The rules of our board, to which you agreed upon registering here, state:

Further:
    The policy of this site is that it is unethical and unallowable for any member to judge the salvific state of another member. As Christ is the only Way, implication that Gunther is not Christian is making a judgment on his relationship with God and the state of his eternal destiny.

Just for the record, I am a supporter of James Dobson and a firm believer in the wisdom of his ministry, even though I occasionally disagree with him.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

[ August 29, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

13. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

<IRONY TAG ON> Can't we just leave Gunther and Jailminister to it? I've got my popcorn and am happy to sit back and be 'entertained' by the two of them <IRONY TAG OFF>

Yours in Christ

Matt

14. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Clint, Thanks for your response. I do believe if you notice the context of what I said in reference to Gunther, that I never questioned his salvation. I believe he is saved, in fact. We will disagree on tactics maybe, but I believe we can agree on the Cross. What I said was his attack on a fellow christian did not reflect a christlike attitude. Now I said it in a shorten version, but that is what was meant. I do not see that as a rule violation after reading the rules, but maybe that was the intent of that rule, just a shorten version ;) .

Anyway, If I have offended Gunther or anyone else for saying what I said and being misunderstood for what I said, then I aplogize for the misunderstanding.

Matt, Thanks. Buttered popcorn or plain. ;)

15. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Even a cursory reading of Dobson's material and history of his theological positions would lead the conservative minded person away from him.

He is very pro-catholic.
    He is one who believes it is the duty of the church to clean up the government.
    He is a theistic-evolutionist.
    He is a Nazarene.
    He is extremely ecumenical (you know, for the sake of "cleaning up society").

This is just the beginning. I cannot believe any conservative Baptist would ever align themselves with this guy. All five of those points puts him at cross-purposes with conservative baptists and yet... :rolleyes:

16. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Clint, I would have to say that Dobson is blessed with wisdom the way Janet Reno was blessed with looks.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think many are in agreement with that. But for now, he's a judge, not a preacher. As a judge, he should be expected to act like a judge, not a preacher. If he chooses to be a preacher later in life, I would expect him to act like a preacher and not a judge.

Interestingly, the Bible seems to separate the two functions.

18. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Even more interesting is that many "christians" try to wed the two.

19. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

I guess no Christian should ever hold office in this country. humm that sounds bigoted. Is that what you believe, Gunther?

20. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

(Setting down popcorn and peach soda)
    Christians should "wed" their Christianity to whatever vocation they are pursuing.
    (Picking back up popcorn and peach soda)
    :cool: