1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The definition of Christianity...

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by tragic_pizza, Feb 14, 2005.

1. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Part of the problem may be that we, with or without intending to, are calling people to our institutions instead of a relationship with Christ. We may forget that we did not grow at the same rate we are expecting other people to. We know that one who knows Christ will bear fruit, but we forget that Psalm 1 tells us a tree planted by the water will bear fruit "in it's own time." We need to nurture people in their growth, not cut them off when they fail to meet our expectations.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

"edited"

THAT ! Is HIGHLY inappropriate my friend.

In HIS service;
    Jim

[ February 18, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: DHK ]

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Doubtless it is, but not half as inappropriate as the conduct he complains of...

Yours in Christ

Matt

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If we are such an embarassment to you, and this is all so disgusting to you, then why don't you just make it painless on all of us and leave. Why do you torture yourself with something that is an embarassment and disgusting. If I thought it was embarassing and disgusting I wouldn't stay. Just leave. Really we won't stop you. You have our permission.
    DHK

5. wopik

wopik New Member

Paul was called a Christian by Agrippa (acts 26:28). This is when the Church was still keeping the Sabbath and holidays of the Bible.

This is when it was still Paul's manner, his ethos, to keep the Sabbath (acts 17:2).

This is when Paul still kept Pentecost (acts 18:21; 20:16) and Passover (acts 20:6) and the Day of Atonement (acts 27:9).

6. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Paul was called a Christian by Agrippa (acts 26:28). This is when the Church was still keeping the Sabbath and holidays of the Bible.

This is when it was still Paul's manner, his ethos, to keep the Sabbath (acts 17:2).

This is when Paul still kept Pentecost (acts 18:21; 20:16) and Passover (acts 20:6) and the Day of Atonement (acts 27:9).
    </font>[/QUOTE]So what does this tell us about a definition for a Christian, as apposed to the observances and traditions we practice?

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

If we are such an embarassment to you, and this is all so disgusting to you, then why don't you just make it painless on all of us and leave. Why do you torture yourself with something that is an embarassment and disgusting. If I thought it was embarassing and disgusting I wouldn't stay. Just leave. Really we won't stop you. You have our permission.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]Interesting decision on what to edit. Perhaps if you paid attention to what I am saying, instead of picking and choosing what to be offended by, you'd be less of a Laodicean.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]So, in your view, the Apostle's Creed is pointless unless one worships exclusively on Saturday?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 20:6-7 And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days.
    7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

You took Acts 20:6 out of its context. Verse 7 states plainly that he kept the first day of the week, "resurrection day" or Sunday, not the Passover. In fact, if anything, Paul taught to avoid the keeping of the Sabbath, and the Jewish feast days.

Colossians 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
    17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Holy days (Jewish), their festivals and feasts, their sabbaths (plural), were just shadows--pictures of that which was to come. That which was to come had come--Christ. He fulfilled the law. We don't have to sacrifice a goat on the Day of Atonement, or a sacrificial lamb on any other day. Christ is the Lamb that took away the sins of the world. Once a Jew became a Christian he was no longer a Jew. Once a Gentile became a Christian he was no longer a Gentile. That was one of the mysteries of Ephesians that Paul explained in that epistle. The middle wall of partition was broken down. We are all one in Christ. We are no more Jew and Gentile. We are Christians--one in Christ. Paul taught that Christ fulfilled these Jewish feasts and that there was no necessity of keeping them.
    DHK

10. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I don't think that was the point. I think (I could be wrong) that wopik is actually showing that Christianity doesn't have to do with some of the things we make it to be. Most of us here would probebly try to disuade(sp) a Jewish believer from practicing those things and tell them they are not necissary. We don't think on culture and the relevance of such things in the worship of Christ. We get things backward alot.

11. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

see what I mean, as I was typing someone was stating we shouldn't observe these things. The point of Paul was not to stop these things, but to keep people from saying you can't be a believer if you don't do it "our" way. Listen, there is a big difference between doing it God's way, and doing it our way.

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yet look at how much time some on these boards spend insisting that the only way Christianity should look is the way they say it should. It is laughable that the Seventh-Day Adventists get so much resistance for their legalistic view of the faith, since the very ones who rebuke them participate in the same sin.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Don't you read the comments in the thread that you post in. I not only had to edit your post; I had to edit the person that quoted your insulting comments that drew enough attention by others to tell you to your face that they were insulting and unwarranted. Do I have to tell you that again?
    When you registered with BB you clicked a button that said "I agree," whereupon you agreed to the conditions and rules set forth herein, as not to use offensive language and personal attacks; and to post with grace.

Specifically:
    What I edited out certainly did not, by any stretch of the imagination, measure up to the above standard. If you wish to "post" insultingly, then please do it somewhere else.
    DHK

14. Pete

Pete New Member

Once someone starts talking about our Lord Jesus Christ aren't they immediately making a doctrinal statement of some kind there? And to know Him, doesn't one have to know at least the basics of Who He is first? What if some claim to know Him, yet don't acknowledge Him as God the Son, do they really know Him in the first place?

....and was going to type more but been backwards and forwards to this long enough between doing other things tonight [​IMG]

[​IMG] time for me [​IMG]

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Don't you read the comments in the thread that you post in. I not only had to edit your post; I had to edit the person that quoted your insulting comments that drew enough attention by others to tell you to your face that they were insulting and unwarranted. Do I have to tell you that again?
    When you registered with BB you clicked a button that said "I agree," whereupon you agreed to the conditions and rules set forth herein, as not to use offensive language and personal attacks; and to post with grace.

Specifically:
    What I edited out certainly did not, by any stretch of the imagination, measure up to the above standard. If you wish to "post" insultingly, then please do it somewhere else.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]When you post accusations against me, then close the thread, who edits your posts. Answer this and I'll quit having to repost after you erase my posts.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I received emails--moderator alerts, about your post, and your insulting language. I edited, as per requested. I did my job. Now please do yours. Use appropriate language when you post or post somewhere else.
    DHK

17. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

This, for starters. There are others, but this'll do for now:

I guess I'll just have to take your word for that, won't I?

18. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I feel for ya man. I've never witnessed a moderator in any other forum who edits and closes threads at will while making sure to get the last word in with the frequency DHK does. I'd imagine he must feel pretty powerless in real life and takes it out on folks here at the BB.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

They don't adhere to scripture, Matt. They twist it, distort it, and take it out of context.

You should read Scripture Twisting by James Sire.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Before you make false allegations, you had better provide evidence.
    DHK