1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Delusion of Determinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The subversion of moral responsibility is one of the most significant developments of recent decades. Though this subversion was originally philosophical, more recent efforts have been based in biology and psychology. Various theorists have argued that our decisions and actions are determined by genetics, environmental factors, or other forces. Now, Scientific American is out with a report on a study linking determinism and moral responsibility.

On today’s program, Dr. Mohler says the most immediate result of such thinking is the subversion of moral accountability.

Audio Link Here

2. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure I completely understand Dr. Mohler's concern with "determinism," unless it is with the idea that mere genetics, environment, biology or psychology determine our "moral responsibility." This kind of material determinism is typical of "science" today.

But Dr. Mohler, in a sense, affirms a determinism much more potent and controlling as any envisioned by a secular scientist. This "spiritual determinism" is also known as "double predestination," or the belief that GOD "determines" all things, including man's "moral responsibility." Mohler and other adherents to this "spiritual determinism" deny science, genetics, environment, biology or psychology necessarily determine man's "moral responsibility," but they proclaim it's God that DECREES such things, and man's will is in absolute bondage to that predestined plan.

Perhaps since one is "spiritual determinism" decreed by God, while the other is some form of "natural determinism" determined by genetics or other like factors, that makes the "spiritual determinism" superior.

Determinism, however, makes humans puppets in a great play, robots programmed to do what they are designed to do, nothing more. Certainly, if man remains in the state in which he was born, he faces a less than positive outcome, not to mention eternity.

However, I don't look at Divine intervention as something that merely changes the track we are on due to a predetermined plan. It's more like God busts up the tracks, replaces our wheels, raises us up and says, "run child! Fly!"

Determinism, even in its finest sense, is still mere bondage. The purpose of God in salvation is for His Glory and for our Freedom. That is what is "determined" for us.

JDale

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Freedom from what?

4. skypair

skypair Active Member

I haven't listened to the program yet but just something I been thinking about...

...why do we blame God when things go wrong? We've all done it, taken God's name in vain because we didn't get out way. Does it come from some deep seated conviction that "God is in control?" That my problem is His "deterministic" fault, not my own fault? Or Adam's?

To me, being probably semi-pelagian, this has brought me up short of using the Lord's name in vain not a few times as I realize that He didn't get me into this mess but I sure could use His help getting me out of it! And how am I going to get His help Whom I have just "grieved" and resisted?

skypair

#4 skypair, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008