1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Dietary Laws

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, May 8, 2006.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

New thought:

If you follow OT dietary laws, you cannot eat on a grill/oven/whatever that has been used to cook pork, shrimp, etc.
    -Leviticus 11:35--"And every thing whereupon any part of their carcass falls shall be unclean; whether it be oven, or ranges for pots, they shall be broken down: for they are unclean, and shall be unclean unto you.”

I ate my ham sandwich--after asking a blessing:

1 Timothy 4:4 For every creature of God [is] good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Okay, imagine this..

There's all these little Trichina Larvae having a big meeting about how they are gonna move into your intestines...

Then suddenly without warning, the Head Larvae puts his hand up and says "Stop!! Hold Everything!... we have to first make sure this isnt a Christian we are about to infest!"

(Wondering myself how he is going to know the difference)

Oh yeah, I know... then the Head Larvae sends one of his Hench Larvae (instead of Hench Men) to spy out the place and he discovers some left over Communion Bread and Wine in the stomach and he hurries to report back to the Chief Parasite..

And so, fortunately for the Christian, the Head Larvae calls off the entire infestation process and they all leave...

[​IMG]

Claudia

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Cook the pork thoroughly and you won't get trichinosis.

Meanwhile Claudia eats some undercooked fish, quite fine by the dietary laws, and gets tapeworms. Yuck! :D

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

So, Claudia...do you ever eat out? Or at a friend's house?

If you do, I bet you've violated Leviticus 11:35.

That sound you hear is the house of cards tumbling.

5. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Hmmmmm

Could that mean that even if it isn't exactly in the dietary laws...

If we know it's bad for us we shouldn't do it?

But, that would mean you're guilty of the whole law and worthy of stoning! Yikes!

(In for a penny in for a pound...)

I think I'll pray over my food, recieve it with thanksgiving and trust in the Grace of My Lord Jesus!

Mike Sr.

6. gekko

gekko New Member

the unclean animals were meant to clean up the earth... no? (can't find the verse as im at school)

i dont believe God intended the unclean animals to be food in the first place...

but then again... all the animals were made to be herbivores it says in genesis...

so i really dont know...hmm..

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Im a Vegetarian :D

8. SpiritualMadMan

Mark 7:18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;
    Mark 7:19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
    Mark 7:20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

In so saying Jesus declared all food "Clean"...

Act 10:13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
    Act 10:14 "Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."
    Act 10:15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."
    Act 10:16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

Jesus had previously declared all foods "Clean"...

And, while this had specific application to Cornelius...

It is clear that, by including only one specific dietary restraint in their edict, the Jerusalem Council also considered the Dietary Laws set aside by the New Covenant...

Paul wrote that:
    Romans 14:14 As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food[2] is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.

Mike Sr.

9. gekko

gekko New Member

im not a vegetarian. nope.

i didn't work my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian.

10. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Just for the record

MISAPPLCATION OF SCRIPTURE ALERT!!

Romans 14:3, 14, 20 says: "Let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth." "There is nothing unclean of itself." "All things indeed are pure."

Verses 3 through 6 are a who eat certain things versus those who do not.

The passage never says that either one is right, but tells us not to pass judgment on the other.

Let God be the Judge (verses 4,10-12).

Verses 14 and 20 is all about to foods that were first offered to idols and were ceremonially unclean--it is not about the clean and unclean meats of Leviticus chapter 11. (See 1 Cor 8:1, 4, 10, 13).

The point is that no food is "unclean" just because it has first been offered to idols, because an idol is "nothing in the world." 1 Corinthians 8:4.

However, if a person's conscience bothers him for eating this food, he should leave it alone. Or even if it offends someone, he should do the same.

Did Jesus declare all animals clean in Peter's vision, as recorded in Acts 10?
    Acts 10:13

The subject of this vision is not animals, but people. The purpose of this vision was to show Perer that the Gentiles were not unclean, as the Jews believed.

God told Cornelius, a Gentile, to send men to visit Peter. Peter would have refused to see them if God had not given him this vision, because Jewish law forbade it(verse 28).

When the men did arrive, Peter welcomed them because of the vision, explaining that normally he wouldnt have, but "God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean." Verse 28.

In the next chapter (Acts 11), the church members were upset with Peter for speaking with these Gentiles. Peter told them the story of his vision and its meaning. And "When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life." Acts 11:18

1 Timothy 4:4 says, "Every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused."

This passage (verse 3) is talking about meats "which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving". These are n reference to the clean meats listed in Leviticus chapter 11 and Deuteronomy chapter 14. God never designed unclean meats to be received with thanksgiving.

Verse 4 makes it clear that all creatures of God are good and not to be refused, if they are among those created to "be received with thanksgiving" (the clean animals).

Verse 5 tells why these foods are acceptable: it is they are "sanctified" BY GOD'S WORD, which says they are clean, and by a "prayer" of blessing, which is said before the meal.

But the Bible says that God will destroy people who try to "sanctify themselves" while eating unclean foods (Isaiah 66:17).

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Congratulations to Claudia...theological contortionist.

I guess if you're having problems with 1 Timothy 4:4, you can always invent an explanation, using unrelated scripture.

You have yet to explain how you avoid violating Leviticus 11:35.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On Magellan's transglobal voyage, for one 'place' (their position at the time).

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very appropriate heading for your post (and most of them).

14. SpiritualMadMan

Then why is Paul convinced that no food is unclean?

Which commentator supports your contention that I am misapplying Paul words?

because none of the many I have support your view...

15. gekko

gekko New Member

i think we're missing something here. let me point it out:

leviticus 11: 44 For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 45 For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy. 46 This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth: 47 To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

wow! Now Im a food nazi AND a theological contortionist

17. gekko

gekko New Member

lol. some people's kids eh?

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are wrong on both accounts Claudia.
    First you can't mix a message to the Old Testament nation of Israel to Peter. The Lord told Peter directly: Call not unclean what I have called clean. He was referring to the meat or food, including meat such as pork. That is the direct interpretation. It had an application to the "unclean" Gentiles which Peter understood later. But that is not what the vision was about. It was about food. There was now no longer any unclean food. It was declared by God to be all clean. Don't call any of it unclean. If you do, you are going directly against the command of God.

Isaiah 66:17 is a reference to Israel. You cannot mix that with Paul's writing to Timothy. Talk about taking Scripture out of Context!!
    The Lord declared in 1Tim.4 also that all food was clean and nothing to be refused (including pork). It can't get much clearer can it? It doesn't say there to bring in OT passages to justify your own pre-conceived ideas. We don't live under the OT law anymore. God said he would destroy those who pick up sticks on the Sabbath, but he doesn't. Or how many people have you stoned lately that violate the Sabbath? You can't keep the Sabbath yourself if you really think about it, but that is another story. You see, where I am it is supposed to snow tonight. If you were really keeping the Sabbath (here), then the furnace would have to be shut off. In fact the very fact that you are using a computer (if you do on Saturdays) is breaking the Sabbath. Turning on the electricity for any reason on the Sabbath is breaking the Sabbath. That is the power source--what the sticks were for in the Old Testament. But your religion is not consistent.

All foods are clean and are sanctified and are good to eat. When God looked upon his creation he concluded that every thing was very good, and that included the pigs.
    DHK

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will accept your self-analysis.

20. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Very appropriate heading for your post (and most of them). </font>[/QUOTE]boy, you're just a real nice guy, arent ya?