1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The different Races

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Nov 18, 2011.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think part of the answer lies in the fact that the genes for various skin colors, for example, get bred out of a certain group. So early humans had much more variety of skin genes than we do now, such that white couples don't generally have black babies, because those genes are not in either parent.

Regarding climate, It is possible that rather than genes responding to sunlight, (which doesn't really make much sense), you could have had, say, 5 children born in an equatorial climate to an early human couple. perhaps 3 of them had darker skin than the others, so that they were able to survive better in the hot climate. Say the lightest skin child died early from some sun overexposure, or heat stroke. Say the second lightest child grew up, but was much less able to handle long hours in the heat, and so was considered weak, and so no family would let them marry their daughter, so his light genes also do not get passed on. This is what some would call natural selection, in which certain genetic information is lost over time, which is different from Evolution, in which NEW Genetic information is created.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Personally I believe that within the first couple there was all the genetic possibilities. We do not know what the first two looked like. It is possible that one was a darker skin and one with a lighter skin and possibly one has some slanting of eyes along wiht other traits. However no matter what they looked like the genetic code for all the possibilities had to start with them.
    As they had children their children over the generations would start to take on the difference looks brought about by the differing genes. As in any people as is today the tendency would most likely have been to pick a mate that looked something like yourself, darker skinned people with darker and lighter and so on with all the possibilities.
    By the time of the tower of babel I would guess that the differing races were already clearly visible and God confounded the languages within each race so that they were forced to set out within that race to began the nations. I absolutely reject that climate has anything to do with how this process progressed.
    Just a guess.

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

One more thing we must remember in all of this God gave them specific languages, they would follow those of which they could communicate. God scattered them in peoples, countries and nations each peoples group with their own specific language.
    God put those genetically capable of surviving in different areas with others to make up that peoples group and because of their genetic make up the change occured as they populated the earth in specific areas.
    God placed the peopled with the right grouping in giving specific languages. God didn't make them races that term comes from the evolutionary teaching of the races developing from different sources to form races of man.

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I think we all said that from Adam and Eve all the gentics were in them, the change occured after the dispersal. Had the pigmentation been different in the pre-flood peoples it would have been noted in the word. It is in the Jeremiah passage though so the skin pigmentation changed after the flood and after the climate changed because of the flood.

5. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Interesting post but it's all flesh.

6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Isn't EVERY posting made here on BB ;'flesh', as NONE of us are inspired by God?

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I think he meant the human race is all flesh.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

Personally, I believe there was a major change in our (the human race) DNA at Babel. More than just confounding the languages I believe God altered his creation to shorten our lifespan and introduced what we call racial differences.

Check out Genesis 11:6

God had several reasons for causing the dispersal. One of course was to get mankind to spread out, but another was to limit our advance as a civilization. Did you ever consider what you could accomplish if you lived to be 900 years old? Our brightest scientists spend half their lives just learning what the men before them discovered. The active inventing spans of their lives are perhaps 40 years at best.

From Genesis 11:6 I believe God intended for us to be separate and cut our communication so that man would not advance too fast.

Now look at that in term of modern day. We have a new age of tolerance. We aren’t supposed to kill each other anymore just because we look different. And we have common languages that allow a larger and larger percentage of the world to communicate.

All signs that mankind is reversing the changes God made at Babel, and to me anyway, signs that time may be running out.

Well that’s my opinion anyway, for what it’s worth.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When God created Adam and Eve, they were perfect. So, they must have had all the various genes to start with. Their sons and daughters had no one to marry but each other, at first. Their bodies had to be much better than ours nowadays, because many of the people recorded in the Bible did not start having children until they were at least 100 years of age. I believe most of those were pre-flood, because the lifespan of man was greatly shortened after the flood.

11. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Race is an interesting topic to discuss because it shows the great genetic diversity God gave humans. I will point out that perhaps race might not be the best term for this, but that's just the way the English language has evolved. I divide people into five top level racial categories:

Caucasian- People descended from Europe, India, the Middle East, and North Africa. I further subdivide Caucasians into two groups- Asian Indians and whites, which are all other Caucasians.

Black or Negro- People of non-northern African descent, characterized most obviously by dark skin. There is, however, a wide variation between differing black groups.

Oriental- This would cover people of East Asian ancestry.

American Indian- This category covers the indigenous peoples of North and South America.

Australian Aborigine- This category covers the indigenous people of Australia.

Our mission as Christians must be to share the love of God with all races, because all people are made in His image. :love2:

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

There's only one race. The human race. :thumbs:

13. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I disagree. The concept of race is a perfectly valid one.

14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

for the evolutionist who developed the concept it is. Bible cause them people, couuntries and nations. Man came up with races for evolutionary cause.

15. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

It IS changing today. As people have children it changes. For instance, my best friend's daughter has two children by her ex (who is black). One of her children has very dark, dusky skin and the flat Native American face (his mother is half Cherokee), she has long silky hair. Her brother on the other hand is pale skinned but has the coarse kinky hair. Both children from the same mother and father, yet both as different as night and day; both portraying genetics from both sides. Imagine what their children will look like some day.

16. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Jesus died for the sins of the Human race, and there is only 1 race here....

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your response has absolutely nothing to do with what was said.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't know much about genetics, but I have read you could breed every breed of dog from a single pair of wolves.

I believe what caused the different human races (or should it be breeds?) is when God confounded the languages at the tower of Babel. Men were told to subdue and replenish (fill) the earth, but instead grouped together at Babel. I am sure volumes could be written on why this was wrong.

Language is what separates, I can interact with a black American because we speak English, but I cannot interact with a white man from France because I don't know French. It would be far more probable that a white American would marry a black American than a white Frenchman.

And this is what happened at Babel, men separated because they could not interact. And just as a person who breeds dogs, certain traits became predominant over time. Those who were white and mated within their own tribe or family became progressively more white, dark skinned people mating within their own family or tribe became progressively darker skinned. This could apply also to other traits like hair color, or oriental eyes...

It is difficult to speak about this without sounding like a bigot, but I really think the confounding of languages resulted in the "races" of men we see today.

#38 Winman, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
  19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I seriously doubt that dogs came from wolves. My guess is that dogs came from dogs and wolves have remained wolves.