1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Doctorine of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by NewReformation, Jul 3, 2003.

1. NewReformation

NewReformation New Member

First, we look to John 16.
    Starting in Verse 7: "Nevertheless, I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you."
    Notice the repeated use of 'I'. Jesus said: "I will send HIM"(emphasis mine). "If I go not away, the Comforter will not come." Based on these two statements, we can see clearly that Jesus is NOT the Comforter(as those who deny the trinity like to claim). Jesus had to leave in order to SEND the Comforter.

Verse 8: "and when HE is come, HE will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgement:"(emphasis mine).
    "When HE is come, HE will reprove..." Clearly, once more, Christ is not talking of Himself here. Jesus had started out this entire chapter using first person to speak of Himself. Why would he suddenly start using third person? Clearly, Christ is referring to another person.

Verse 13: "Howbeit when HE, the Spirit of truth, is come, HE will guide you into all truth: for HE shall not speak of HIMSELF; but whatsoever HE shall hear, that shall HE speak: and HE will show you things to come." Over and over again, when referring to this other person, Christ used the pronoun HE to refer to this other person. Clearly, Christ is not referring to Himself in this passage of scripture. Clearly, this 'Comforter', 'Spirit of Truth', is another person.

Let's look on.
    Matthew 28:19, Christ gives His disciples the Great Commission. He says to them "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"
    Lo and behold! The Holy Ghost! Named right up there with The Father and The Son! Jesus declared Himself equal to God many times. So it makes perfect sense to put Himself up there with God. And by putting the name of The Holy Ghost there, He declares the third person of the Godhead.

John 15:26 "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:"
    The Action of the word 'proceedeth', gives the picture of an eternal procession of the Holy Spirit beside, not out of the Father. In absolutely no way does this suggest that the Holy Spirit is less than the Father or the Son, but explains the relationship between the three.

Let's look at John 14, which gives a deeper history into the verses from chapters 15 and 16.

John 14:16 "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you ANOTHER Comfortor, that HE may abide with you forever, 17Even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth HIM not, neither knoweth HIM: but ye know HIM; for HE dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."
    Notice that Christ is using the pronoun 'I' to refer to Himself in this entire passage of scripture. He uses the word 'HE' to refer to the Comforter, making it clear The Comforter is anoher person. Jesus said he would send ANOTHER Comforter. The Greek word used here is 'parakletos', and is a title for Christ in 1Jn 2:1 where it is translated 'advocate'. This is also the reason Christ used the word 'ANOTHER' when referring to this Comforter, to make it clear that this Comforter was not him. He even went further to differentiate this Comforter from himself in verse 26.

Verse 26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send you in my name, HE shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."
    The Comforter(Holy Ghost), is another person, sent in the name of Christ. A totally different person!

1 John 5:7 "For there are THREE that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word(Christ), and the Holy Ghost: AND THESE THREE ARE ONE."
    There are 3 persons in heaven! But they are ONE PERSON! How can this be? I dunno, ask God. This is one of the Unfathomable mysteries of God.

In fact, Christ declared that there is only ONE sin which CANNOT BE FORGIVEN. What sin is this? Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy against the Son can be forgiven, but to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is punishable by Eternal damnation. Reference is found in Matthew 12:31-32.

As we can clearly see in Scripture, the Holy Spirit(Ghost, Comforter, Spirit of Truth) is one indidual person, but still part of the Godhead.

Amen, and Amen. Forever and Ever, One God, Three Persons in perfect Unity.

NewReformation

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your statements were true - until you got to this part.

The more "consistent" fact is that there are THREE Persons in heaven and they are ONE God. It is the Triune God - ONE God - Three "Persons".

I am posting this since we finally find "a place" where I can agree with you on something.

In Christ,

Bob

3. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Isn't the truine nature of our Lord a wonderful and beautiful thing? It is beyond me why someone cannot accept that there are mysteries in our faith (logically, since we are finite and God is infinite). Jesus Christ, our Lord, our God, was crucified, died, and descended into hell, and rose again for our salvation.

What a wonderful thing to remember on the fourth.

God Bless

4. Daveth

Daveth New Member

[​IMG] Hi NewReformation, Question.

How does the ‘Filioque’ understanding of the Holy Spirit, affect Baptist theology?
    Created Grace, Holy Spirit third in line, and created intermediaries for grace? Very very new to me, on how to understand the Holy Spirit . Thanks Dave [​IMG]