1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Doctrine of Imputed Righteousness

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Monergist, Dec 9, 2004.

1. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Your article is full of logical fallacies and without any exegesis."

Please provide some examples
    Dean

2. Southern

Southern New Member

Dean,
    I would assume that you believe that God counts our "Faith" as our righteousness rather than "Faith" being the means of recieving an alien righteousness (Christ's). Am I correct? If so maybe you could show where you disagree with a particular verse used to teach the historic protestant understanding of the Imputation of Christ's righteousness.
    (I should be back after the first of the year if not before then, but atleast I can see where you are coming from)

In Christ

3. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I can't answer for Dean, but from what he has written, it appears that is exactly what he believes.

My pastor's sermon this past Sunday was timely, as he addressed this view. He expressed the opinion that is was idolatry, as it makes faith, rather than God, the object of faith.

4. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is idolatry to set up your own opion as the word of God. Are you not ashamed that you cannot even find one verse which teaches this notion you claim as so central to the gospel message? I was reading something today, and I thought of you:

John Burnyeat was among those now convinced. Brought up to believe that though he sinned the guilt of it would not be charged on him but imputed to Christ, and Christ’s righteousness be imputed to him, the light to which he turned showed him the need of a Saviour to save from the power of sin, as well as the need of the blood of a sacrificed Christ to blot out sin and of faith in His name for the remission of past sins. His invented notional faith was overthrown found to be an Adam’s fig-leaf apron in which he could not abide God’s coming. He and others who had been reached now began to mourn after a Saviour and to look for a Deliverer. Often meeting together, they minded the Light of Christ in their hearts with a holy resolution to obey the Lord’s will at all costs, and through much spiritual conflict came to know the wonderful power from on high revealed among them. Their meetings became times of great delight in the Lord, even when no word was spoken, and Burnyeat says the power of the Lord “wrought sweetly in our hearts, which still united us more and more unto God, and knit us together in the perfect bond of love, of fellowship and membership, so that we became a body compact, made up of many members, whereof Christ Himself became the Head.”

5. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that faith was the object of faith! God is the object of faith, and this faith, which is wrought in Christ and by Christ, is counted for righteousness, as Paul expressly states.
    Dean

6. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I'm convinced that the Bible does teach the doctrine of Imputed Righteousness, and over the next several days I will post my arguments here. It's a really busy time for me right now and I want to do my homework on this again. Please be patient and check back again.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :confused: :eek: </font>[/QUOTE]I stand with Wes on this one. Provided it pertains to the elect, and only to the elect. Belief, as in one's being aware that Jesus died as one's substitute BEFORE God will appropriate salvation for the elect, was never part of God's electing mercy.

Everything rests and rested on Christ. We are accepted in the beloved means exactly that, the degree of belief we have has nothing to do with our salvation.

I have always maintained on this board that there are elect children of God who may live and die in this world that have NEVER heard the gospel, never seen or heard a preacher.

The elect who becomes a believer and is given gospel instruction and wilfully disobeys the gospel instructions gets disciplined by the Father.

8. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Since there is a ditch on both sides of the road, error has to be confronted on both sides.

The issue here (in this thread) is not whether faith is required for salvation (most assuredly it is); the issue is whether the righteousness of Christ is imputed to the believer by means of faith.

Spurgeon was right when he described Hyper-calvinism as all house with no door and Arminianism as all door with no house. Both are in error as both depart from the truth.

9. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    monergist wrote:

Faith is NOT required for eternal salvation. Unless you want to exclude lack of faith from the weakness of the elect in the Scripture that says:

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. Romans 5:6

When we were yet ungodly, did we have faith to please God ? Did you have the slightest iota of faith in you that God required so He can save you ?

Spurgeon can be as witty as he wants to, or made out to be as smart as people who admire him want to make him appear. The fact is that he is wrong, as many Calvinists are, in insisting that there must FIRST be faith in the elect before God can really work out His will on His own. Makes Calvinists more like their Arminian cousins.

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Monergist further wrote:
    But even in this issue, we need to go back to roots. If the righteousness of Christ is imputed to the believer by means of faith, whose faith is it ?

Does the true believer dare to think that he can stand before God and claim he has the righteousness of Christ because he had faith ? I hope you know as much as any who lay claim on the Doctrines of Grace as the doctrine he cherishes that this cannot be so. Whatever faith we feel, or think, or know we have is not our own but a GIFT from God.

That is why it is all of grace, none of works, none of the flesh, but all of the Spirit. I stand with Paul:

But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. (1 Cor. 15:10)

And again:

I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ (the righteousness of God)), liveth in me (imputed), and the life that I now live (in practiced righteousness), I live by the faith OF the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me...Galatians 2:20

11. Monergist

Monergist New Member

You are about 1/2 right, hitting some points dead-on (ex. Faith is a gift) and missing other points by about a mile.

You have to ignore a bunch of scripture to make a statement that "Faith is not required for salvation."

And it is not Calvinism that is akin to Arminianism, it is hyper-calvinism & Arminianism that stand together being unable to reconcile man's responsibility with man's inability. Arminianism says that man is responsible so he must be able, Hyper-calvinism says that man is unable so he must not be responsible. Both err from the truth.

12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Monergist said:

You need to read my post more closely and not react knee-jerk.

I said, 'faith is not a requirement for eternal salvation'.

However, there are many instances where Jesus first asked, 'do you believe', and 'according to your faith, be it unto you'.

Not every salvation spoken of in the Bible pertains to eternal salvation.

Eternal salvation is OF the Lord, and He has predetermined to gift His elect with that salvation long before He hung the first star in heaven.

Eternal salvation did not depend on the elect's ability to believe FIRST, and then....

13. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Pinoybaptist,
    Since It has been determined by others that there is more than one definition of "the Elect", perhaps you would post the scriptures that support the definition of "The Elect" that you refer to.

14. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I can say is that in response to my statement that there are no scriptures which teach an imputation of the obedience or righteousness of Christ in the scripture, that I have been asked to prove this non-existence! Nobody has been able to bring forth a scripture, obviously since there aren't any. Why do people hold to these carnal, man-made interpretations? What heart issues are at work at the root of those who place their theology over the faith once delivered to the saints?
    Dean

15. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Well Dean198, there are no scriptures that say Righteousness is imputed. Righteousness is a totally human condition, coming from within man, not imputed to man! When man has faith in God, that is counted as righteousness by God.

16. dean198

dean198 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wes - I totally agree. Faith is counted for righteousness.