1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The doctrine of preservation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Baloney- that was no criticism, it was statement of fact of something that C4K saw 20 years ago.

For my part, I've never seen a division over translations in a MV church- never. Seen plenty of it on the other side, though.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

I must have hit the hive, the bees are swarming now. :laugh:

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am not bound to and will not be bullied into acceding to your demands. I have made my position very. very clear here many, many times.

#103 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I have warned and warned. I will be deleting any future off topic posts.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

So the question remains - does God's preservation of translations refer to the very words of God, or just the sense of His eternal word?

If it is not the very words of God, what is so wrong with using dynamic equivalence in translation work? Why is formal equivalence so important if the words really don't matter?

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

IMHO, yes- the words DO matter.

However, just as in soteriology where we have the tension between the free-will of man and the sovereignty of God, I think there is tension between the interpretation (an act of man) and the preservation (an act of God) of the Scriptures.

That's really what we are discussing here, isn't it? Or am I way out in left field? (A position I often find myself in- LOL).

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This is, to me, the crux of the matter. If God preserves His words (not just His word) to every translation He would have to superintend every translatorand reinspire them to insure His perfect words are transmitted to every language group. It is no longer a translation by man, but a rebreathing of the scripture by God.

That is the only way we could be totally assured that we have the perfect word of God in our languages.

#107 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 19, 2013
  8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Agreed.
    :thumbsup:

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, it goes without saying that every translation cannot be perfect. How many versions of the Bible do we have in English alone? Hundreds? And they cannot all be the preserved word of God.

I would agree that preservation applies to accurate copies (because the original autographs no longer exist) in the original languages. But this does not mean all translations must have error, that is an assumption on your part.

Tell me WHY a translation MUST contain error.

[off topic]

#109 Winman, Aug 19, 2013
  10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Reopened this thread just to note that its closure was not done by me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.