1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Doctrine of RPW

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree with all of that. But must square those accounts with Jesus telling the Samaritan Woman that soon it won't matter what mountain you worship on, that we will worship in Spirit and Truth.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the bible teach compulsion or freedom? I think it teaches freedom is better. Legalism is kin to works like worship, yet another my way or the highway dictate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t see much practical difference in the distinction.

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I see is tradition and Christ spoke against it. Worship should never have controls. Many believe they have to go to Church in order for their worship to be recognized. Every Christian knows better than to worship anything else.Yet many still worship there hero's.Rules eliminate the feelings of the heart. Makes it a work.
    MB

#24 MB, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is fine.

I agree with the RPW because I believe God does direct us how to worship through scripture. Practically, the RPW eliminates "strange fire" from worship. However, I realize this is an issue that not every Christian agrees with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please show me from Scrupture where 1st Baptist Jerusalem had an Interpretive Dance Team, pledged allegiance to the Roman Banner or Jewish One, staged plays for Xmas or Easter?

The RPW onlysays that we will only do worship as Scripture commands

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was the Episcopal Church that had all those things. Passion plays date back to Augustine according to Encyclopedia Britannica. I consider the Jesus film (made by Bill Bright with money from the Hunts in 1979) a passion play based upon the Book of Luke. I myself think that passion plays are very useful in reaching everyone, especially those who are illiterate. Most churches have the American flag and the Christian flag. I agree with those who say that love of country is part of Christianity but I don't have the Scripture for it at the moment. Roman Catholic Dr. Taylor Marshall did a YouTube video on the subject very recently as Pope Francis has called for open borders and denounced American patriotism. Pope Francis has said that we need to obey the UN.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we have a ruling on whether choirs are naughty according to this RPW.

9. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Noone is rejecting the John 4 passage In says it says Spirit AND Truth

10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean, do the churches that affirm the RPW ever flip flop the order of the components? Do communion first and sing all the psalms at the end? That's what I meant with my comment. While I can easily accept your statement that it's the components that drive the process, setting an order seems to be part and parcel.

I understand the need to avoid strange fire, though. I just wonder if the RPW is another version of us putting a hedge around the law.

11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know it says that. It's in my post. ;)

12. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what you mean by "love of country," but the New Testament makes a clear case for Christians being good citizens and obeying the authorities, as long as they can do so and still obey God (who comes first). I'm all for patriotism, but the church meeting is about God, not country.
    I can't make a ruling, but I will give my understanding. It seems to me that the Bible exhorts the entire congregation to sing, e.g. Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm currently reading through 1 Chronicles, so I would say cymbals, lyres, trumpets, and choirs are mandatory. And linen ephods.

(And to think that the wearing of surplices helped touch off a war in the Old Country.)

14. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The order is immaterial. It can be changed up. Not all all elements may be present in one service. Ex: baptism

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I have to get into what the RCC is saying but God made the nations after the tower of Babel so I think that I will have to listen to Dr. Taylor Marshall to give you more details. I don't see anything wrong with the American Flag in a church. I have seen churches that displayed the flag of the City of Indianapolis along with the flag of the State of Indiana. The Battle Hymn of the Republic has been sung in a lot of northern churches for over 150 years.

16. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than not seeing anything wrong with it, what biblical case would you make for it being there?
    Not a fan.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you want to mix Caesar w things of God?

Casear is not a friend of the Church nor God

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prominent Southern Baptist church that has banned the American flag:

9Marks • Capitol Hill Baptist Church

"at CHBC we have removed the American flag, not only from the platform, but from the building....Our membership includes people from the UK, Ireland, Singapore, Benin, China, Eritrea, Korea, El Salvador, Bolivia, Egypt, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, and more. Not all of our members agree with America’s politics overseas, politics which that flag represents"

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So they have gone globalist. No borders. Everyone is a world citizen. This is not a virtue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I have been listening to some of the RCC in the video linked above. The discussion of this topic starts about 56 minutes in as Dr. Marshall handed his recent book to Pope Francis in Rome and that dominated the early discussion. They talk about forms of government, and you know that the RCC looks to the Greeks through Aquinas but they conclude that a republic is an acceptable form of government. So the USA has a good form of government consistent with Christian virtue. They mention that the Supreme Court ruled in Roe v Wade that it is illegal for a state to make abortion illegal and they praised states that have gone ahead recently and made abortion illegal. They say that patriotism is a virtue. So Christians would have to support patriotism as a theological doctrine in face of attacks from globalism, governments such as the EU and the United Nations, and the notion of open borders. The SBC calls for a free church in a free state as a Christian ideal so Christianity is very much involved in what is good government and what is Christian duty in pursuance of good government. So therefore, I think that the encouragement of patriotism is a Christian ideal as Christians are ultimately patriots in New Jerusalem. God has given every man his own nation in my opinion and we are not to go back to the Tower of Babel and the oppressive military dictatorship of another Nimrod as is our human nature in disobedience to God's direct command to Noah and his sons, as we too are sons of Noah. Genesis 9:1 (KJV) And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth. Acts 10:34-35 (KJV) Then Peter opened [his] mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

XVII. Religious Liberty
    God alone is Lord of the conscience, and He has left it free from the doctrines and commandments of men which are contrary to His Word or not contained in it. Church and state should be separate. The state owes to every church protection and full freedom in the pursuit of its spiritual ends. In providing for such freedom no ecclesiastical group or denomination should be favored by the state more than others. Civil government being ordained of God, it is the duty of Christians to render loyal obedience thereto in all things not contrary to the revealed will of God. The church should not resort to the civil power to carry on its work. The gospel of Christ contemplates spiritual means alone for the pursuit of its ends. The state has no right to impose penalties for religious opinions of any kind. The state has no right to impose taxes for the support of any form of religion. A free church in a free state is the Christian ideal, and this implies the right of free and unhindered access to God on the part of all men, and the right to form and propagate opinions in the sphere of religion without interference by the civil power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.