1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Doctrine of Separation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Aug 22, 2008.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Here is just some, of what I have found in the Bible, about this Doctrine:

But I am still learning!
    --------------------------------------------------
    -SEPARATION FROM THE UNSAVED-
    My wife and I were compelled, to attend a Roman Catholic funeral a few years ago, and the Spiritual darkness was so pervasive, that we have to leave.
    (We will “never” make that mistake again!)
    -SEPARATION FROM THE SAVED-
    i.e.(2 Timothy 2:20-21)...In a great house(the Church), some members, that are more committed to Christ than others(some are even ungodly):
    Therefore, if we separate from the ungodly, we will be better off for it.
    -NATURAL SEPARATION-
    The separation, that takes place within a family, when one member gets saved and sells out to Christ:
    (They become the black sheep of the family!)

2. Goldie

Goldie New Member

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

What amazes me is how sinful some 'separated' folks are! The Pharisees were the most 'separate' of the 'separated' religious groups during Jesus' time, but He sure didn't praise them for it!

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

The doctrine of separation is a biblical doctrine. We just need to remember we are separate unto Christ and the Gospel, and not just from certain things.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I agree with Reformed. There's nothing wrong with me attending a Roman Catholic funeral. I'm not threatened in the least bit by what they do even if I am in the same room.

But, if you can't handle being in the room with those of another faith and you feel that they might threaten your spiritual disposition then by all means stay away. But, please give me the freedom to choose for myself.

Some take seperation way too far.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

This seems pretty clear what God is telling us to do.
    The rest is a matter of obedience to God.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naturally, the doctrine of separation only requires me to be separate from things I don't love. See ya at the bar!

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

No, it requires us to be seperate from what God in scripture tells us to be seperate from, from things He tells us are wrong. It has nothing to do with what I love or don't love, the only thing is has to do with me is obedience to the word of God.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sarcasm is wasted on you, Donna. :smilewinkgrin:

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Indeed, some base separation on preferences instead of scripture.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Ya' think?

Ed

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I have attended more than one "Roman Catholic" funeral without a lgreat deal of 'harm,' I would say. And I served as a pallbearer in one, for an uncle. I was in no way 'threatened,' either.

Some folks seem to 'enjoy' making a big issue of 'separation,' on one hand, while ignoring such, on another, or other matters, based on my own personal observations over 40+ years, as a Christian with some awareness of such things.

AS an example, I read where the Scriptures tell us to 'not be unequally yoked with unbelievers.'
    I didn't see any additional 'quaalifiers' or 'exceptions' as to the details of "how" or in what manner this is not occur, or when it is, in fact, pemissible.

For example, I suggest it is not an "unequal yoke" to be employed by an 'unbeliever', be it a private individual, a company, or a 'state' entity, for one example. Or to purchase gasoline, clothing food or other items from one who is not a believer, either, for a few examples.

I would suggest it is an "unequal yoke" to be in a 50/50 'partnership' in a business with an unbeliever, just as it is an 'unequal yoke' to marry an unbeliever, which happens to be the most frequent thing where I hear this verse applied to.

We can carry this too far, I agree, especially as to personal preferences, as C4K has well said. And, by the same token, we might, in some instances, not carry this to where the Bible does, as well, IMO.

Ed

13. stilllearning

Hi C4K

You said........
    I think I understand what you mean;
    i.e. (Some water it down, to where they can have fellow ship with anyone “they” choose to!)
    But wouldn’t this be, “not taking separation far enough”?

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thats not what I am talking about. I am talking about personal separation standards that have no basis in Scripture, but somehow become the standard for who is an who is not separated.

For example. 'I am separated because:

I don't go to the cinema
    My wife doesn't wear trousers
    I don't have facial hair
    I don't use CCM
    I don't listen to country music
    etc
    etc
    etc

15. stilllearning

Hi C4K

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I understand what you mean now.

Almost like someone bragging, about how separated they are.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Still learning, I can't speak for C4K but I don't think bragging was really what he meant so much as adding unbiblical rules to make up what it means to be separated.

17. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I always believed that this referred to Christians not marrying unbelievers. But I see that it is broader than that. David Guzik's commentary says this:

This speaks especially to the issue of influence. Paul is not suggesting that Christians never associate with unbelievers (he makes this clear in 1 Corinthians 5:9-13). The principle is that we are to be in the world, but not of the world, like a ship should be in the water, but water shouldn’t be in the ship! But if the world is influencing us, it is clear we are unequally yoked together with unbelievers. And this unequal yoke, or ungodly influence, may come through a book, a movie, a television show, a magazine, or even through worldly Christian friends. Most Christians are far too indiscriminate about the things they allow to influence their minds and lives.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Why that is one outstanding expounding by David Guzik's. I never heard of him but I will look for his commentary. How can we make disciples if we treat the unsaved like leapers?

"This speaks especially to the issue of influence. Paul is not suggesting that Christians never associate with unbelievers (he makes this clear in 1 Corinthians 5:9-13). The principle is that we are to be in the world, but not of the world,etc..." :thumbs:

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Like Dale I can't speak for Roger but I believe he means "self separation" as opposed to biblical taught separation. Look at his first example, if you don't want to go to the movies then don't go to the movies but there is nothing in the bible about going to movies.

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes they do, and as a result are not as separated as they should be.

So when Scripture says we are not to look on a woman to lust after her, wouldn't that be something about going to movies? I think it would be hard to argue it isn't at least about some type of movies. I think too many people do "concordance theology." That is they look at their concordance to see if something is mentioned, and when they don't find it they assume it is alright. You know, Scripture doesn't say anything about the SI swimsuit edition. Does that mean that someone who doesn't look at it is too separated? Of course not. So I think we need some more rigorous thinking.