1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Early Church on Speaking In Tongues

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by the68, Apr 4, 2014.

1. the68

the68 New Member

I apologize, I should have been more clear; I am particularly interested in extra-Biblical early church information concerning the topic, but I am also interested in any extra-Biblical pre-1906 information concerning speaking in tongues, ecstatic utterances and the like.

Your insistence that whatever went on in the 1850's was not Biblical is unnecessary, please read my stance concerning Biblical tongues in my OP. Again, with this insistence you are continuing to to take this thread in a direction I have repeatedly stated I do not intend for it to go. Did you read any of the information I posted by Mr. Sullivan? Perhaps you should, given your stance on the topic I think you would find it quite interesting and reading it would give you a basis from which to contribute to this thread.

I was being facetious, my apologies. You've posted enough on the topic that I understand your stance concerning it.

Just for clarification's sake; I am not looking to start a classical continuation vs. cessation debate, of which there is no shortage. I am looking for any pre-1906 extra-Biblical information pertaining to the history of ecstatic utterance/prayer languages, as well as information pointing to an earlier understanding concerning speaking in tongues such as those Mr. Sullivan has posted on his website (from Epiphanius, etc). I'm mostly interested in the pre-1906 era as there seems to be relative church silence on the topic for 1900 years prior. Even though I disagree with plain_n_simple's earlier statements concerning the topic, he did subsequently post exactly the kind of information I am looking for from his position on the topic. If everyone follows his example in this thread will fulfill its intended purpose.

2. the68

the68 New Member

What? It seems you are mistaken. I've spoken with Sullivan personally on this topic and here is what he said:

I agree with you concerning McGee's research. However I don't see how Sullivan's above stated opinion lines up with what you've said about him.

Exactly. However, I have found what you stated to be true of both sides of the argument which is why I would prefer to avoid it.

This I believe to be correct! I apologize for the confusion concerning parameters for the early church, I did later expound that I was also interested in any information prior to 1906, but am mostly interested in early church writings and opinions. All of the church fathers I mentioned earlier seem to hold to this belief that you have stated.

Incorrect. I already stated that I hold to what I believe is the Biblical understanding of tongues which is that the Apostles were speaking in known human languages. I do not hold to private prayer languages, heavenly languages or ecstatic utterance. But to reiterate; I am not here to debate continuationism vs. cessationism. See above.

Correct, plain_n_simple. Thank you!

Also correct. :tongue3: I thought I was posting in "General Baptist Discussion", not the debate forum. My apologies.

I have to go to work now, will respond to the other posts when I get home.

#22 the68, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  3. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Andrew Murray 1828-1917 South Africa, wrote extensively on prayer but you would have to dig because tongues did not come til later in his ministry. He wrote paperbacks before they were popular.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The context of that is in church worship. Each day I read my Bible for about one hour. I also take time to take to translate passages from the Greek and Hebrew. That would seldom edify anyone in a worship service in an English speaking congregation or very few in a small group conversation. If I did, the focus would be on self. What is done in a worship service must be done to edify the body not just one or a few.

That is the reason why Paul says there must be interpretation so all are edified.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three times tongues speakers have tried and/or succeeded in messing up the church I pastor. This has happened to many, many churches. If the doctrine were of God it would not harm the church of Jesus Christ, but it quite often does.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The abuse/misuse of any gift harms the church. Many churches have been destroyed by poor leadership. It is estimated that 70-80 percent of the churches in America are plagued by one or more antagonists. A failure to exercise leadership is a failure to use giftedness properly. Many churches have been left behind in destruction by a preacher who did not properly use his giftedness to glorify God but glorified self.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not talking about the abuse of a gift within a church. I'm talking about 3 times my church was attacked from outside by tongues speakers. This is the whole basis of the tongues heresy as evidenced in the Charismatic movement (as opposed to traditional Pentecostalism): turning non-tongues churches into tongues churches, often splitting or even destroying the church in the process.

8. the68

the68 New Member

Again, I am rather at a loss as to where you came to your conclusion concerning Sullivan. Please, I believe it would benefit you muchly to take a look at the source material Sullivan provides especially given your stance on the topic (though I believe his research could be of vital interest to any Christian).

Well, I assume by the apparent radio silence that the initial contempt and confusion is over with and everyone is on the same page as to the intent of this thread. I have very close Christian brothers and sisters on both sides of the debate whom I love very dearly. plain_n_simple, even though I disagree with your position as stated in your first post I greatly appreciate and respect your subsequent willingness to contribute to this thread in the way I had intended for everyone to contribute. Kudos my friend. I will add these instances you mentioned to my research.

Blessings to all. I look forward to reading more about this topic and seeing what others have to contribute.

#28 the68, Apr 4, 2014
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning the OP, the only evidence of non-linguistic glossalalia in the early church/church fathers is concerning the Montanist movement. That's it, period, until modern Christianity. If there were other instances the Charistmatic scholars would have found it and be touting it all over the Internet.

A book by Charismatic scholars I have on the history of their movement doesn't even mention the Montanists or church fathers, but starts with the 19th century Irvingites (Aspects of Pentecostal-Charismatic Origins, ed. by Vincent Synan). Thus, modern glossalalia is virtually non-existent in the history of Christianity, and thus one more aberrant movement trying to put us back in 1st century Christianity, which is impossible, as witness the heretical Church of Christ and similar efforts.

Edited in: To be fair, in the book mentioned above there are four mentions in passing of the Montanists, but no examination of the movement.

#29 John of Japan, Apr 4, 2014
  10. the68

the68 New Member

I agree, that seems to be the indication according to my own research. I've been hard-pressed to find any other instances before the advent of Modern Christianity despite multiple intensive excursions and inquiries. If anyone has any information to the contrary it would be greatly appreciated.

Synan's works have been recommended to me by Mr. Sullivan. It's probably time I acquired some of his literature. Thanks!

This seems to be true of all information concerning the Montanists. Does Synan view the movement positively?

#30 the68, Apr 4, 2014
  11. plain_n_simple

Fascinating website the68, thanks for joining.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good luck with that. Unless new manuscripts are discovered you'll not find any such evidence.
    Synan is a genuine scholar, which is a rarity among the Charismatics IMO. So it is worth the effort to read his stuff as long as you are researching the history.

Synan is the editor of this work, so he only writes the intro. Larry Christenson mentions them twice in his article about the Irvingites, but only historically as a Charismatic movement opposed by traditionalists. Martin Marty (not a Charismatic that I know of) mentions them on two pages of his article on Pentecostalism, quoting the negative comment by Eusebius on Montanus, and then quoting from Donald Gelpi as a Catholic Charismatic who traced his lineage through the Montanists.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Although reports of healing and other miracles are not uncommon in the corpus of surviving Christian literature, evidence for the appearance of glossalalia, at least from the late second century to the eighteenth or nineteenth century, is scarce and frequently obscure. Quite often, for example, speaking in tongues is not clearly differentiated from the gift of prophecy. After the first century until the modern period, there are only a few references to glossalalia in Christian discourse" (The New Charismatics, by Richard Quebedeaux, p. 20).

So my question is this. If tongues are so rare in church history, though there is an abundance of Bible-based church movements down through the centuries, why are we supposed to believe that glossalalia is a Biblical expression of tongues? It seems to me arrogant to say, "We speak in tongues, though almost no one did down throughout church history, but we are Biblical in this."

We're not talking about doctrine, but practice. Doctrine has periods of learning, but not practice. Down through the ages, churches have had worship services, have done evangelism, have sent missionaries, have prayed, have sung hymns, and done many other practices of the Christian life. But they haven't talked in unknown tongues. In other words, unknown tongues are unknown in church history!!! :saint:

14. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

1Co 14:10
    10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

Herein is the limit set.

The Evil one has no new tactics.
    One does not have to do any exhaustive research to know that possession-enhanced babbling wasn't delivered to George Fox first.

Azusa St. was a re-run.

I am as curious as any, that we have actual written evidence, but that is selfish on my part. I have led several Azusa St. products, including a C.O.G.I.C. minister, to the Lord by simply walking them through Acts 2, and ICorinthians 12-14 slowly.
    When asked plainly: "is this (what we read in Scripture) how it is practiced in your church, a product of the Holy Spirit, or is it a product of another spirit?" , The sincere answer is "No", and "another spirit".

Not trying to distract from the discussion, just give the thoughts that it triggered in me.

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

As long as Sullivan leaves room for the existence of unbiblical tongues -- I see him attempt to make distinction, then apologize for those who practice gobbledy-gook -- I can't accept anything he says as being a valid viewpoint. Sorry.

16. plain_n_simple

Please, I believe it would benefit you muchly to take a look at the source material Sullivan provides especially given your stance on the topic

Is "muchly" a word? jus sayin

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If tongues speakers are causing division then they are using their gift as a means to cause division. Evangelists can cause division by the abuse/misuse of their gift. Gifts are for the edification of the body and that which does not edify is not of God. I know tongues speakers who do not cause division and they have never made it an issue. Those who cause division can possess any gift and use it to divide the church. The thief come to steal, kill, and destroy. Satan will use whatever means possible. 70-80 percent of the churches are plagued by one or more antagonists. That means the leaders and people are allowing division and doing nothing about it.

18. the68

the68 New Member

I'm glad you found Sullivan's website fascinating, plain_n_simple. Thanks so much for welcoming me!

thisnumberisdisconnected,

Many of your assumptions and assertions concerning this thread have proven to be incorrect thus far. As a matter of respect I rebuffed your other assertions concerning my intentions for this thread via PM and I am still awaiting a response to my last transmission.

That is slightly antithetical to your previous assertion.

is rather removed from

and most certainly removed from

So which is it? It seems to me that you are now saying that when it comes to anyone who may merely be allowing for the possibility that he might be mistaken or flawed in his fallible human understanding of a given topic you simply throw the baby out with the bathwater.

That being said, I think you need to read this again;

Any Charismatic worth their salt would disagree with such a conclusion.

Though Sullivan claims to be unbiased in his research (which I believe he is, to whatever extent it is humanly possible) as I see it his research on early church history rather obviously supports the Cessationist position concerning glossolalia and languages.

John of Japan; this is exactly my suspicion, and is also why I found Sullivan's research concerning the early fathers and the dogma not being accepted to the extent it currently is until the late 19th century so fascinating. I do want to be sure that this is a solid argument before I employ it, thus my research and inquiry. Thanks for your sources, it looks as though I have literature to acquire and reading to do.

Prophet; it's funny, but I contribute under the pseudonym "Prophet" to several other boards and have done so for years. Thank you for your thoughts. It is also my belief that similar occurrences happened before Azusa and I wish to understand this better, thus my interest in any such happenings pre-1906 as plain_n_simple provided.

#38 the68, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  19. thisnumbersdisconnected

Really? By whose reckoning?
    Continue to wait. The content of your last PM was too negative to bother replying.
    There is nothing about any of those quotes from my posts that are in anyway antithetical to one another, so your question is irrelevant.
    That may be the way it seems to you, but that is not the case. Sullivan defends gobbledy-gook, and does so by defending any use of tongues beyond the First Century. The gift died before John did, therefore any defense of the use of the gift in the post-apostolic church is invalid and unbiblical. I've never said anything less than that.
    Followed by your color highlighted quote from Sullivan which fails to take into consideration his insistence elsewhere in his writing that tongues is not now, even today, a "dead gift," as is stated biblically to be the case. Sullivan believes "known language" use of tongues is still valid. I do not, and see biblical evidence to support that view.
    This is the part of your conclusion I utterly fail to understand. He goes to great lengths in his Origen on the Dogma of Tongues -- interestingly, publicly and loudly renamed from the original Origen on the Gift of Tongues -- to conclude, illogically, that the great church father wrote extensively, not on the cessation of the gift of tonuges, but of the gift of knowledge, and goes to the greater length of retranslating Origen to prove his point. He utterly fails, primarily due to his short-sighted agenda.

As you cease addressing my concerns here, I will also cease addressing your concerns, though I believe you are reaching illogical conclusions equally severe as Sullivan's.

#39 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  20. plain_n_simple

For the68:
    Out of all the supernatural happenings I've witnessed or read about, it's usually healings that get reported. Tongues and interpretation while they were done, isnt usually at the top of the list or talked about much. It's when a terminal illness or a child gets healed that gets told. Mariah Woodworth was known as a trance evangelist. People would get knocked out for hours and it was quite a sight according to newspapers. Healings would also get reported, but tongues rarely did. Woodworths staff and followers spoke tongues all the time(pre1900). If a body spoke tongues as prayer all the time, it's kind of a given, normal operation to them. So in the study you are involved with you may or may not find much beyond healings, and if elders are against it, it will not be recorded at least in there reach.