1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The end for which Christ came in the world

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Dear brethren,

While there has been controversy on these boards regarding particular doctrines, I thought it good to positively assert an area of doctrine without the view of necessarily entering a controversy. I also have somewhat a personal interest as I am studying these things and it is helpful to me to put them down in writing. May the Lord be pleased to encourage your heart by the following Scriptures and brief comments, for nothing else is intended than the edification of God's people and the manifestation of His glory.

It may seem quite a basic doctrine to teach as to why Christ came into the world. We can answer this in cheifly two general points. 1. The purpose the Father and Christ intended. 2. That which was accomplished and fulfilled by it.

1. The purpose of the Father and Christ in Christ coming into the world.

Matt 18:11; Luke 19:10 "The Son of Man is come to save that which was lost." The purpose of God the Father and Son of His coming into to the world was to save sinners. 1 Timothy 1:15 "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners."

Who are these sinners? Christ Himself tells us. Matt 20:28 "Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many." In other places the many are called us or believers. Gal 1:4 "Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father"

And these believers are His Church. Eph 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it:" It is also similarily written in Titus 2:14 "Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works."

What great consolation this should be to the believers in Jesus. God the Father and God the Son have the end in the sending of Christ into the world our salvation, to deliver us from this evil world, to make us holy, to purge and wash us, to make us zealous of good works, to render us acceptable and to bring us to God.

2. What is actually accomplished in the coming of Christ into the world, by His blood, or propitiation/oblation.

First we can say a true and complete reconcilation was accomplished. There was accomplished the complete removing and destroying of the enmity that existed between God and us. Romans 5:10 "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life." We were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, when we were enemies. Hallelujah!

2 Cor 5:18-19 "And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation. To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation."

Second we can say that Christ accomplished our justification through the forgiveness of our sins in His blood. This He truly and really purchased or procured, having taken away the guilt thereof, redeeming us from their power, and from their wrath due to us. Hebrews 9:12 "Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us."

Gal 3:13 "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:"

1 Peter 2:24 "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God." Rom 3:23-25

What great news this is, that Christ has truly and actually accomplished redemption for us. He actually and truly obtained it for us. All glory to God.

In my next post, I will finish this thought with the biblical truth that sanctification, adoption, and glorifcation are also accomplished and procured for us. Christ's redemption is a complete and full redemption, that the death and blood-shedding of Jesus Christ has wrought and effectually procured eternal redemption by His grace both here and in glory for all those for whom He died.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Your brother in Christ,
    RB

#1 ReformedBaptist, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Every week I meet with a pastor friend to read Greek. We often get into our theological discussions, without becoming antagonistic. Well, last week, we were addressing the atonement of Christ and what He accomplished at the cross.

1. Well, I believe Christ accomplished what was marked out before the beginning of this created universe.

2. His atonement accomplished something definite. We are not here addressing potential atonement. He did accomplish something definite in his atonement.

3. According to Paul, Christ became our Wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctificaton, and redemption (1 Cor 1:30).

4. Yet, we are charged with limiting the atonement of Christ. We do no such thing. Rather, we teach that Christ atonement accomplished that for which it was designed.

Great post, ReformedBaptist. :thumbsup:

#2 TCGreek, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Excellent post, RB! The quote from Titus contains a lot of information in few words, doesn't it?

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Good post, Brother!!!
    Lets not forget also that Christs death would be meaningless without His resurrection

Jesus Christ died, was buried, and rose again and became the "Firstfruits" of them that sleep!!! His resurrection GUARANTEES mine!!! Amen??!!!

5. ReformedBaptist

It certainly does!

6. ReformedBaptist

Yes, Amen brother. A dead Saviour is no Saviour at all. We share the same confidence and hope as Job "And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me." Job 19:26-27
    "