1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The End of Faith According to Atheist: “Proof” There is No Free Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Benjamin, May 28, 2012.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have always been intrigued by how hardening is treated in the book of Exodus.
    On more than one occasion, it says God hardened Pharoah's heart
    On more than one occasion, it says Pharoah hardened his own heart.

Add to that, Paul's writing in Romans 9:17-18
    One of the natural questions is why does God harden someone, then punish the one he has hardened?

The implication of that statement is that Pharaoh didn't deserve that kind of judgment. But we know that he was an evil person, well deserving of God's punishment for a number of reasons.

So, since all of us deserve justice instead of mercy, it ill behooves us to say God is unfair or unjust. We don't want God to be just. We want him to be merciful.

I, for one, am grateful that he showed me mercy, for reasons I could never fathom.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

#22 Tom Butler, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Why do you assume that the only alternative to your view of God fulfilling prophecy is that God has to "just sit there and watch things happen"? It sounds like you are falling to a false dilemma.

What does it matter to us whether he causes, or does himself, or allows the free actions of men to fulfill prophecy? He is omni -resourceful, -intelligent, -potent, all wise, etc. Being all that is more than enough to ensure his purposes and prophecies. Why would He have to rely on His direct determination or foreknowledge to accomplish such? In fact, I think it brings more glory to Him that He is able to accomplish such without using determinism or foreknowledge.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, in a way, being that He created us with a spirit. Free will can also be defended by the existence of the human spirit. Of course, psychologists are out to prove that all our decisions are based on an evolutionary natural process in our brains that predictively insured our survival through natural selection. They teach the ways these processes can be discovered is through developing scientific experiments which are designed to limit errors in the data by “proving” it was the best possible choice for the survival of a species. The game then turns into you either prove how their scientific data doesn’t add up or they must in fact be on to something.

Psychologists have no regard for the spirit of a man being behind his decisions because this can not be proved scientifically, plus their agenda is to discount creation and spiritual guidance. My psychology professor would get so frustrated with me in that I would discount and/or completely dismiss these long drawn out efforts of her to show how science has proved why we behave in a certain way with a simple statement from the wisdom of God’s word which would show the spirit was blessed for doing things God’s way, under God’s Spiritual guidance, because it was His plan to bring about love and good into the world from the beginning of creation. I really think in a way they think of themselves as little gods when they come up with these intellectual experiments that seem to prove natural selection and would justify immoral behavior; this became very evident to me in the way they “praise” each other, which is very apparent in the text books as an experiment is being addressed, in the way they will hold one another in the highest regard of wisdom for coming up with something that seems to explain natural selection rather than spiritual morality.

I once got such a good laugh in class on my psychology professor that I couldn’t breath after she spent three days explaining that this monkey-in-a-box experiment about him being raised without any contact did not develop normally and how that this “proved” a human child needs their natural parents. LOL, I mean, the class is all quiet and intently listening to the conclusion and I go “Duh”! LOL. God describes Himself as our Father from creation and tells us how to bring up our children in the “spirit” of love. Ah, you would have had to been there, she was a pretty blond from California that was extremely liberal and was a great example of the stereotypical aspects proving why we have jokes along that line. LOL. She raised her son in special “gender neutral school” that dressed him up in pink and encouraged him to play with dolls so that he wouldn’t be predisposed to selecting a gender role that might not best suite him, I kid you not!

Funny, how the Atheist believe things are "naturally" determined by cause and effect rather than by "spritual" influence and response and is so dead set to prove it.

#24 Benjamin, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Originally Posted by Tom Butler [​IMG]
    How can we have prophecy fulfilled if God just sits there and watches things happen?

In all the discussions on this subject on this board, the debate has been over two options: God's decree vs. his foreknowledge.

It it is either/or then either God makes it happen and actively is involved in causing it to be so; or knows it'll happen and doesn't need to cause it to happen.

You're question suggests that there's another option. If so, what is it?

Agreed. He's omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.

So, if he uses neither determinism nor foreknowledge, how does that work?

Again, what are the other options?

6. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I listed some of the other options already:
    • God has ultimate intelligence. He could use his intelligence to combine possibilities with their probabilities and with His other attributes strategically ensure his purposes.
    • God is omni-resourceful. He can focus on each possible situation with all of his attributes as though that each possibility were the only possibility.
    • God is creative. He can create and transform material things so as to ensure his purposes.
    • God is Almighty. His ability to harness weather, manipulate matter, make light to shine when there was no sun, 'hold the sun' in the sky to lengthen the day, etc. He is able to do mighty things to ensure his purposes.
    • God can redirect the malicious actions of evil people to bring about goodness to others.

There is no need of any other attribute if one can predetermine all means and outcomes simply based on his predetermination prior to the act of creation. Is he to be praised for being strong, wise, resourceful, redeemer, etc. when it is all actually due to his predetermining before the outset? It seems logical that it is the act of predetermination that would be what is praiseworthy.

What Glory does God get when all His ways, achievements and works are ascribed to His exhaustive pre-determination before the outset of creation? How small would my thoughts of God have to be for me claim that His glory is all due to Him 'loading the dice'... no, more than that, completely rigging every atom and thought ever to exist in creation all under his manipulative action even before he creates? Is he a God who expects to be loved by his creation but yet predetermines his creatures actions thereby allowing no risk of being rejected by some and at the same time pre-scripting rejection by others. People reject him because he has predetermined it to be so? People love him because he predetermined it to be so? He experiences no risk in relationships because he is the great manipulator and the relationships are what they are solely due to his predetermination. All of this to ensure that he achieves his purposes? How is this love? How is this relationship? Is he not a God that acts out of a genuine relationship to his beloved? What is it about this idea of exhaustive predetermination that is praiseworthy? It seems one could reasonably argue that this would be the basest means conceivable for a God to ensure His purposes. Yet this is what calvinists claim first and foremost.

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you can see the Atheist does indeed have a great ally in the Calvinist who will stand on their side and will argue that free will does not exist even at the expense of disregarding God’s other attributes which are logically mutually exclusive to Him having a deterministic nature.

Great post, full of rational reasoning, logic and valid questions concerning divine attributes that the Calvinist cannot answer with a good conscience other than by avoiding the issues and holding to a single misguided presumption about only one divine attribute while screaming “God is Sovereign”; not that I would agree such a reply is in good conscience, but in reality why should that matter to him since the tread is about one’s “true” ability to have conscience of his own because of free will in the first place.

Unfortunately, not only do I seriously doubt you will get a practical reasoned response that addresses the relevant points of the argument which you have made but the person will come back later on another tread using the same type of tactics, the same arguments, use the same scriptures to suggest free will does not exist that have been rationally addressed, and continue with the same avoidances which have been confronted here and now until the next time someone cuts him off at the knees by trapping and breaking down his argument.

This becomes very frustrating to me because the format here allows people to escape accountability and wastes time for those trying to get to the bottom of the issues, but I guess they have an “excuse” for that which is in agreement with the philosophical principles and arguments of the Atheist that free will does not exist and thereby “real” faith would have to be an illusion as the opening premise of this tread has been demonstrated that such an alliance is unfortunately true.

#27 Benjamin, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

9. quantumfaith

continued

May I strongly recommend that you pick up the book written by J. I. Packer, Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God. His introductory comments alone, dealing with the difference between a contradiction and a paradox, are well done. If God were absolutely sovereign, then it would be a contradiction to say that man is absolutely free. God is not absolutely sovereign to the point that He can call something that is not as if it actually were. For example, God cannot make squares into circles. That would be a contradiction. So absolute sovereignty is really not what is being talked about here. God, therefore, has chosen to give us the option and, within that framework, He cannot call us free while absolutely violating that freedom. Both poles exist--His sovereignty and our responsibility. We rest on the fact that God is just, that God is love, that God is good, and He woos us enough so that we may trust Him and yet gives us enough freedom so that we might know that this freedom cannot be transformed into coercion.
    Ravi K. Zacharias/ 1987

10. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

This has often been a position of mine, though I could never have stated it so eloquently. I often seen the fundamentals of the discussion be simplified down to the attempt to ascertain God'd motive. Whereas I posit his primary motivation is LOVE, many of fellow DoG brothers are convinced it is "His Glory". As I see it, God's asiety causes itself a tension in the "His Glory" position. Let me be clear (famous political words), I do not feel it is either/or, but rather a mathematical "or" (set union).

11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sad to see so many who do not trust that God always does what is right.Gen 18:25. This lack of trust is unbelief.

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed. Sad to see so many that do not believe that He is a God of Truth in His way of judgment (Deut 32:4) and that no man will have an excuse not to respond to His genuine influences (Rom 1:20) and that lack of belief in trusting in the loving power of God to create every man with the ability to respond to the genuine influence and offer of grace from their Creator (Rom 10:9,10) leads the Determinist into an alliance with the Atheists in that they both profess that free will doesn’t exist and conclude that man’s volition is a mere illusion thereby rendering that God’s creatures are part of a puppet show for His enjoyment at best or that He does not exist in truth at worst.

13. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

But I presume you interpreted that verse "Calvinistically" which is why I rebutted that interpretation.

Of course. Those are uniquely divine events of God's active and effectual working. To suggest EVERY event is likewise determined by God only serves to undermine these uniquely divine ones.

I agree, so tell your deterministic friends to stop speculating that God MUST be deterministic in order to accomplish His purposes, okay? :thumbs:

So proof that God actively intervenes to ensure one thing proves He actively intervenes to ensure all things? How do you figure?