1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Epistle from Laodicea

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

What was/is the epistle from Laodicea that Paul tells the receipients of Colossians (4:16) to read? Is that epistle still in existence today?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I've read that it could be the letter that was written to the church at Ephesus which Paul instructed to be shared among the other churches.

3. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

Where is the 3rd (Second) letter to the church at Corinth?

We have what we have because that is what we are supposed to have.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A letter from Paul to the Laodiceans, probably written contemporary the time of Colossians. We don't have it.

No

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is my view. Ephesians contains no personal references although Paul stayed there for two years or so (Acts 19:10) and talks as if people may not have heard of him (Eph 3:2ff). So it is possible that Ephesians was a circular letter sent to all the churches that had been formed in the province of Asia. However, being informed by Epaphras (Col 1:7) about particular problems in Colosse, Paul wrote them a special letter. However, he still wanted the Colossians to read his circular letter, and because Laodicea was so close to Colosse, he thought it wise for them to swap letters (Col 4:16).

Obviously I can't prove any of that, but it seems logical to me.

Steve