1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The ESV from a KJB Only perspective

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Will J. Kinney, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Will J. Kinney

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for the reading of "the middle court" instead of "the city" which you suggested, please note that not only does the KJB read "the middle court" but so also do the Geneva Bible, the NKJV, NASB, NIV, RSV, NRSV, and the latest ESV.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So no actual comments on *why* in this verse the KJV reads like the LXX and other Bibles you dislike, instead of following the Masoretic here, (especially since you just condemned the ESV for following a reading from the LXX instead of the Masoretic - how is this not a double standard?)? Are you saying the Masoretic is wrong in 2 Kings 20:4, and is corrected by the other Bibles? If so, what exactly is the KJV "preserving"?

No Brian, the Masoretic text in this place can correctly be translated as "the middle court", in fact, the Jewish translation put out by the Hebrew Publishing Company, New York 1936 reads just like the KJB and all the others I mentioned including Young's "literal", the NKJV, ESV, NASB, NIV, etc. There are two words there - "middle" and the other word which some think has a weird spelling and many take as "court". Some scholars think it is possibly the word for "city" and others argue for "court" and they give different numbers in referring to the word here.

Green's interlinear goes with "middle of the court" and he lists the word for court as # 2691.

This particular word can mean either a court or a village. In fact the nasb has translated this same word as "village" 47 times, and as "court" 139 times.

Archy is just going with his own private interpretation and in doing so, goes against not only the KJB but all the other modern bibles.

See, this is how you Biblical Relativists work. Each one of you considers himself to be a scholar par excellance, and you set up your own minds as the final "court" of appeal.

None of you have any Bible in any language you consider to be the inerrant, complete, inspired words of God, and all you can do is try like hell (and I use this word intentionally) to pick one little hole in the perfect, God given Bible, otherwise known as the King James Holy Bible.

Now, if you can prove just one little error, then gleefully you pronounce all bibles to be faulty and then can feel free to set up your own minds and intellects as the final authority.

And what is the result of each of you being your own authority? Well, just take a good look at all your multitude of conflicting bibles beginning with the RV, ASV, NASB, RSV, NRSV, ESV, NIV. All of them conflict with each other in both texts and translation and the ESV as the latest in a long line of bibles cast aside, is now being touted as the newest and bestest yet. But it differs radically from the past NASB, NIV, ASV, RVs in literally hundreds of places in the very underlying texts themselves. Your "bibles" are getting worse, not better.

May God have mercy on His people and open our spiritual eyes to see what is going on here.

Will Kinney

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

There have been a plethora of holes found in the KJV Bible. You're just too ignorant (and I use this word intentionally) to be able to recognize it.

Stop blaming what is said by those who believe that modern versions are the will of God on hell. Hell is too big as it is to lump God-fearing believers with it. Let go of your security blanket and open your eyes, man.

3. rbrent

rbrent New Member

Will Kenney-

Thanks for your cogent and faithful defense of the preserved scriptures.

Many of the folks who post to rebut your arguments, keep attacking your belief in the KJV instead of answering your arguments.

I enjoy your posts and also enjoy reading the pathetic assaults on the KJV by your detractors.

Some of them profess to believe God has preserved His infallible inspired words somewhere BUT they reserve to themselves the right to correct every manuscript and every version in any language...Go figure! :confused:

Thank You Brother Will !!! [​IMG]

P.S. - Back in the 70ies, I was Youth Pastor and Assistant High School Principal at Foothills Bible Baptist Church and Christian School in Montrose, CO

4. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

You have missed the point completely -- that the KJV does *exactly the same thing* you condemn the ESV for doing. This is called "using a double standard."

5. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

What is actually written in the Hebrew *text* of the MT (the kethib) is ha'ir, meaning "the city." What is written in the *margin* of the Hebrew MT (the qere) is hatser, meaning "court" or "village." The Greek LXX reads τη αυλη, meaning "court" or "courtyard." One of the reasons why both the KJV translators and the ESV translators chose "court" rather than "city" was precisely *because* it is the reading of *both* the LXX and the MT qere rather than the MT kethib. So both the KJV and the ESV depart from the actual Hebrew MT text and follow the LXX, yet only the ESV is condemned because it "departs from the Hebrew Masoretic texts and follows the Greek Septuagint (LXX)." Why is the KJV not condemned in the same way for doing exactly the same thing?

6. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, Scott, I'm not KJVO (I'm maybe a 1 or a 2 on Dr. Bob's scale), but I don't know if I would be real comfortable with saying the KJV has a "plethora of holes." I thought we were only taking semantics when it came to the differences between the bible versions. Statements like "there is no major doctrinal differences between the versions," etc. I thought regardless of the version, we could be upwards of 95 percent sure of the text. Am I wrong?

Plethora - an oversupply, glut, or excess.

When I read the KJV, I'm not reading a swiss-cheese bible that is oversupplied and glutted with errors to the excess. I believe, sir, your post is a bonafide attack on the KJV itself, not to mention an attack on the intelligence (ignorance is a lack of knowledge, the same thing as stupidity) of another BaptistBoard member and fellow brother in Christ.

KJV-user/studier/preacher, KJVO-rejecter/exposer,

Jason

7. ScottEmerson

You know, Scott, I'm not KJVO (I'm maybe a 1 or a 2 on Dr. Bob's scale), but I don't know if I would be real comfortable with saying the KJV has a "plethora of holes." I thought we were only taking semantics when it came to the differences between the bible versions. Statements like "there is no major doctrinal differences between the versions," etc. I thought regardless of the version, we could be upwards of 95 percent sure of the text. Am I wrong?

Plethora - an oversupply, glut, or excess.

When I read the KJV, I'm not reading a swiss-cheese bible that is oversupplied and glutted with errors to the excess. I believe, sir, your post is a bonafide attack on the KJV itself, not to mention an attack on the intelligence (ignorance is a lack of knowledge, the same thing as stupidity) of another BaptistBoard member and fellow brother in Christ.

KJV-user/studier/preacher, KJVO-rejecter/exposer,

Jason
    </font>[/QUOTE]I in no way am saying that there is an excess of holes in the KJV - forgive me for poor word choice. There are several that have been pointed out which are enough to reject KJVO. It was late and I was quick to type - I apologize Jason. Thanks for keeping me straight!

8. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Sometimes the debate gets frustrating! I'd like to at least give a nod to Will Kinney for his willingness to debate the issues - the scriptural issues that is! It seems that if I ask a question of most of the other "KJVOs" on this board I usually get a response which is 99% anger/emotion and 1% logic! Thanx Will - even if I don't agree with your positions! [​IMG]

9. mioque

mioque New Member

"The UBS text is still basically the Westcott-Hort text. Get a clue, will you?"
    Heavens no! There are miniscule but significant differences, sort of like between the KJV and the NIV. :D

Anyway, why should I (or in fact most born again Christians on earth) care about the whole KJV thing? English is not even my (their) first language.

10. Will J. Kinney

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kevin asks: "Bro Will,
    Would you kindly for the record state one single verse in the KJV, AV1611 that says that God has preserved His Word only in the KJV? I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants, but to point out that your reasoning is noble perhaps, but flawed. Would you kindly let us "scholars" know where was His perfectly preserved Word before the 1611 came to being? If I understand your reasoning, you seem to imply (no accusation) that God just didn't have it together quite yet till 1611. And why English? If He has preserved it for us in our language, wouldn't that make Him a respector of persons? why us, and not every other language? (That's why most of us believe it's in the "Originals", and yes, the "Originals" no longer exist, but then the very meaning of the "Originals do exist)
    Speaking of "Originals", please explain to us who have reached a different conclusion than you where the Original KJV is? There is none! So how do you know that your KJV reads like the first KJV (1611 and 1769 notwithstanding)? "

Kevin, there is no verse that says the KJB, or the ESV, NIV, NASB, Geneva Bible or any bible is where God preserved His words. But there are verses that teach He will do so. The question to answer then is where has He done this. I'm convinced it is in the KJB today, and before 1611 probably in the Old Latin and then in the Waldensian vernacular.

Where do you think it was and is now? Obviously your modern bibles don't seem to have much of a clue- they differ radically in hundreds of verses yet are all put together by people with the same education behind them.

That God chose English since 1611 does not make Him a respector of persons. Was God a respector of persons when He gave His word only to the Jew? See Psalms 147:19-20.

If you think "the very meaning of the Originals do exist", then I conclude you have very poor reading and comprehension skills.

Will

11. Will J. Kinney

Faith:
    Baptist
    LRL, or whatever, posts:
    Ok, Will, you have been refuted here extensively by others and myself, yet have not made any attempt to refute (even remotely successfully) the posts of others here."

Your are right. I have been soundly refuted; my arguments and examples have all been torn to shreds, and I am going to toss my King James Bible in the trash first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for showing me the error of my ways. I am eternally indebted to you for showing me just how wrong I have been all this time.

Love and kisses,

Will K

12. Will J. Kinney

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scott posts: "Stop blaming what is said by those who believe that modern versions are the will of God on hell. Hell is too big as it is to lump God-fearing believers with it. Let go of your security blanket and open your eyes, man."

Thank you Scott for setting me straight. I have particularly enjoyed the deep insights you have shared with me over the past few weeks. Your well thought out responses have often warmed the cockles of my heart.

Will

13. Will J. Kinney

Faith:
    Baptist
    rbrent comments: "Thanks for your cogent and faithful defense of the preserved scriptures.
    Many of the folks who post to rebut your arguments, keep attacking your belief in the KJV instead of answering your arguments."

You noticed that too, did you?!? Thanks brother for your encouragement and faith that God really has preserved His infallible words for us today in the King James Holy Bible.

By God's grace, you either see it or you don't, and I rejoice with you that He has given you eyes to see and a heart to believe.

Praise Him forever.

Will K

14. Will J. Kinney

Faith:
    Baptist
    Archy, you posted a bunch of stuff about qere and kethib or whatever, all of which means nothing at all. There are lots of different Hebrew texts out there and what is qere in one is kethib in another. I will bet that if most of your friends here will consult whatever Hebrew texts they have they will find the Hebrew words for "middle" and "court". It is the Hebrew reading, Arch, not just the LXX.

So the LXX occasionally gets something right? Big deal.

You have corrected all the favorite mvs out there by your post about "in the city". Nice going. You really should be ashamed for bringing up such a lame example.

Say, Arch. Let me ask you something. WHY do you bring up this thingy about the KJB supposedly following the so-called Septuagint in 2 Kings 20:4 with "middle court"?

Is it that you believe the Greek Septuagint is the inspired, inerrant word of God? Or is it that if you can prove that the KJB translators also used the LXX at least one time (which I flatly deny), then it is OK for modern translators to do so whenever the mood strikes them too?

What is your agenda, Arch?

I say, Go for it, and write your own bible version. As it is, your views differ from them all so far. What we sorely need in this present hour is your own personal bible version that will make everything right and bring to light the hidden things of darkness. - "who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"

Think about it, Arch. This may be your calling.

Will

15. Will J. Kinney

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi saints, as my last post this morning before I go to bed (I work nights), I just want to thank you Charles for your comments and spirit of fair play you demonstrate, and to address briefly something mioque said.

mioque, if you think the differences between the KJB and the NIV are miniscule, I suggest you take a look at this site.

http://av1611.com/kjbp/charts/themagicmarker.html

There are two parts to it, but it is very easy to read and follow along. There are many and serious differences between these two books, both of which claim to be the words of God.

God is not a liar and He hasn't lost any of His words. Both books cannot equally be completely true in the same way at the same time. They are either both very wrong, or one is right and the other is not.

Take a look at the site, please. As for being a native speaker of English, God holds us accountable only for the light He has been pleased to give us. If He has decided in His sovereign plan to place His inerrant, pure and complete words in English, then the English speaking people will be far more accountable for what we do with these words than those nations that do not have a perfect Bible.

It is this nation primarily that has turned its back on the true words of God as found in the King James Bible and is presently churning out scores of bogus bibles that get worse each year. The ESV is just the same old RSV garbage placed in a new can, and the fact that so many "educated seminarians and Ph.Ds" would embrace and promote such a thing shows just how far we have fallen as a nation.

Anyway, that is how I see it.

Will K

16. ScottEmerson

Typical. Why am I not surprised that you don't even address your penchant for labelling those who disagree with you in cohoots with "hell"?

He's preserved His Words for thousands of years. We have Bibles in hundreds and hundreds of languages, not just English and Latin.

You say that either one is right and one is wrong later in the thread. If the Latin and KJV disagree in at least one verse, then will you admit that both of them cannot be inerrant and inspired?

17. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

And everybody in this discussion agrees with that. We who use God's word in modern translations believe those promises as much, if not more, than you do.

Actually, the first question is "how" has he done this. The second is "where." As to the first, he did it be a number of imperfect methods, that are modelled for us in Scripture where we see that copies of Scripture that differ from the original text are still considered Scripture. As to "where," he has preserved his word in every faithful manuscript and every faithful translation. We do believe that the KJV is the word of God. We simply do not share your unbiblical view of the KJV&gt;.

This is an admission on your part of what we have said all along. You hold a position that you cannot defend from Scripture. That is fine. Simply admit that it is what you are doing. You have asserted your own mind as the authority in this matter.

YOu are obviously mistaken. They don't differ radically. In fact, they differ no more radically than the KJV differs from the Waldensian and the Old Latin, or the 1611 differs from later editions of the KJV where things were changed to be more accurate.

So you think the very meaning of the originals does not exist??? Then what are you doing in this conversation????

18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Actually they do mean something and before you go driving your stake in the ground, you ought to be infomred about the issues so you don't keep embarrassing yourself with these kinds of remarks.

In the Hebrew "kethiv" is a word that means writing and is part of the HEbrew title for the OT. The Hebrew title of the OT is Torah, Nebehim, Cethubim. It means Law, Prophets, and Writings. In the Hebrew text itself, there is the kethib (what is written down) and the qere (what is read). Qere is the Hebew word for calling out. That is a short, simple discussion of it.

Someone who takes such a dogmatic stand should not be ignorant about the basics of the discussion. If you do not know what you are talking about, then stop talking. That way, you will save yourself from statements like "they mean nothing at all."

Again, a little learning prevents a lot of ridiculous statements. There are not a lot of Hebrew texts out there. There are less Hebrew texts than there are Greek texts. The most common is the BHS.

The point of the Hebrew you are discussing, as Archangel pointed out, is that you condemn MVs for doing the same thing that the KJV does. That means you are inconsistent. It means you do not think carefullyu about what you are saying.

The word of God deserves more honor and respect than you are giving it. We have encouraged you many times to back away from this unbiblical position you have and give your heart and mind to the text of Scripture. As it is, you insist that you can be the authority on what God's word really is, even though admit (as I quote above) that God didn't actually tell you which version is his word. It is simply more evidence that your own mind is your authority. That is a dangerous place to be.

Sit back and start to learn a little bit rather than pontificating and showing that you do not know as much as you should know to carry on the conversation you are having.

19. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I was appreciative of your answer(s) till you resorted to this common KJVO tactic :rolleyes: If it means anything to you, I have a Th.M. from a KJVO Baptist College who by conferring upon me this degree felt I had appropriate "reading and comprehension skills". Of course I know that you are biased toward your view, and I would think if anyone disagrees w/ you you would give a similar response. Frankly the KJVO's personal attacks it what helped draw me away from the movement.Why? "by their fruit you will know them" the fruit of all too many KJVO's (not all KJVO's) is arrogance, personally attack those who agree w/ the AV translators themselves, who said that a variety of translations are profitable. Wiil, I know you have good reading and comprehension skills from reading your posts, but when you say these types of things, it just solidifies those of us who are not KJVO's by thinking (fairly or unfairly) that KJVO=meanspiritedness/stubborn arrogance=KJVO. :rolleyes: I can't speak for the others but those types of comments prejudice me about attempting to read your posts fairly. C U later.

20. Emily

Emily New Member

Hi all..

Im definately no scholar on the issue.. In fact, im pretty new to the debate.

I learned about God mostly through the NASB, as that is what my first Pastor used, so I bought one so I could follow along in church easier..

but, in my first church, they also used several versions to make a point... Pastor would read out of his NASB, and often would try to find other members with NIV, KJV, NKJV, AMP, and he would have them read aloud as to get the full idea of what they were saying..

I found that never did it conflict.. Never did they stare in the face of eachother.. They were always complimentary and eye opening.

To this day, I still prefer the NASB, because it is the wording I am used to.. I've tried the KJV, and I struggle with it.. Its written in archaic english.. I would have to take a class in 1600 english to even be able to read it, and I think that that highly shows a respector of persons, which I believe God is not.

I personally believe that God's perfect word has been perfectly preserved in any translation that is faithful to the original manuscripts.. There is more than one way to say any given sentence, and I dont believe that the word of God is any different... I dont think God's promise has been lost because I chose to read the bible in my own everyday tongue.. It says the same thing as the KJV says to my sister-in-law (onlyist), plus or minus a few statements that have nothing to do with doctrine.. Our beliefs do not differ in anything else WITH AN EXCEPTION OF THE KJV, and to me, that says that God's promise has been fulfilled, and its only our idiotic human minds causing a problem.

Im satisfied with my NASB, and fully believe that it is Gods inerrant preserved word every bit as much as the KJV thank you very much

Emily