1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the fall

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jesusphile, May 31, 2006.

1. jesusphile

jesusphile New Member

As a calvinist, how do you explain the fall?

God created Adam in His own "image," and he was perfect.

If Adam was a perfect being, how could he sin, having no free will?

Along the same lines, how could satan exsist?

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Let me clear up at least on misconception on this OP. No calvinist would claim that Adam didn't have free will (or anyone else for that matter but it depends on how one defines free will). However, Adam did have the ability to choose either good or evil before the fall, which is something that man lost as a result of the fall. Now fallen man cannot choose to do good on his own because he willingly chooses to sin. For more on what total depravity, according to Calvinists, is and what it isn't I would recommend consulting some good theological works--Erickson's work is helpful and he's even a baptist :).

The image of God is still in fallen man (cf. Gen 9 and Jas 3), and God's image doesn't equal righteousness (regarding this some theological works would be of help in discussing what the image of God is and what it isn't).

As to "explaining the fall" the westminster confession discusses this from a Calvinistic perspective and I would refer you to it; it's available for free online. Regarding the origin of Satan, the Bible is silent he just kind of shows up on the scene (Chisholm at DTS has done some helpful work in dispelling the horrible eisegesis of some regarding Isa 14 and Ezek 28 somehow having something to do with Satan's origin). I don't see how a calvinist believes in something that precludes the existence of Satan.

those are my thoughts on the matter.
    sincerely,
    BJ