1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Fear of Calvinism in the SBC

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Thousand Hills, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree!!!!

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Agreed. I've progressed in the same manner and within similar circumstances.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Agedman,

A perfectly and genuine manner for disagreement. Thank You.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I bought the electronic banking game as I thought it would be easier (it was) and quicker (it wasn’t). After two hours he decided to just count the money and see who won (which was not me – I was playing the game and investing). With only 3 players (and one being 10), that game is so long.

Thanks. I discovered this and am beginning to understand who is capable of arguing a point and who can only quarrel. I have not always taken the “kinder” approach, unfortunately, but I do try to be faithful to Christ's words.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but I am an advocate of a fuller appreciation, presentation, and understanding of Scripture than some would allow. When one can only believe Ephesians 2:8-9 by rejecting other passages of Scripture then there is a flaw in that person’s belief system. This is not the case with Calvinism, or even most of the Calvinists that I know of, but it is the case with some Christians. This, I believe, is one reason that many non-Calvinistic churches avoid the topic of election – they cannot easily reconcile it with their belief system.

What part of Ephesians 2:8-9 do I not understand?

I have never experienced it in a church (as stated). Actually, it has been the opposite – non-Calvinists have objected to scripture that was not presented in such a manner to emphasize free-will. But I’ve only seen this twice, that I can recall.

Not when the topic is addressing the extreme side of the issue. I have not seen you object when Arminianism is being presented as flawed by voicing the ways God has used John Wesley. Instead, you have dealt with the issue at hand. R.C. Sproul is right – there are some who are so aggressive and impatient, on a mission to ensure everyone knows the truth of divine election, that they should be locked in a cage to cool down and mature.

My mother once told me that she would never board an airplane if she knew the pilot to be a woman. Her reasoning was that if an emergency occurred, she feared that the pilot would become too emotionally involved in the circumstance to objectively evaluate the situation. Thank you for providing an illustration that emotional blindness and attachment is not gender specific.

6. preacher4truth

Thanks. Only in today's economy is it seen as quarreling when one is defending brothers against broad brushing, denigrating remarks and unfounded and belittling accusations. :thumbs:

7. preacher4truth

Could you point me to where this blessed event took place? :confused:

I apologize for not jumping in on said topic.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Id say you didn't inherit your mothers intelligence

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh: I'd be inclined often to agree.

How do I misunderstand Eph. 2:8-9?

11. preacher4truth

Cool. I stand on what I've stated and won't recant because it is in fact true. The entire premise of arminianism and anti-cal theologies fail on the very things I mentioned, sin, man, and God.

Now, show me this specific thing wherein I didn't partake which included John Wesley. That link doesn't prove nor come close to supporting your accusation.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell me how you interpret it

#52 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an undergraduate student I was pretty much a Reformation Arminian. I ran into several arrogant, elitist Calvinists (my perspective) who wanted to convert me but were unable to actually communicate as they couldn’t “hear” my objections or view. One classmate was different. He invited me to explain my understanding to him, and listen to his explanation. Afterwards we still didn’t agree, but we did start corresponding via email – the goal being not to change the others mind but to mutually understand the others position. Anyway, what I discovered was that if I were God I’d have done it the Arminian way – but Scripture was much more supportive of the Calvinistic view. For me, it was also in defending my non-Calvinistic view through Scripture that I began to understand and reject that view.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You misunderstand – it wasn’t an accusation. You shouldn’t have gone into the way God used those who believe Arminian doctrine in arguing against that doctrine. Neither should I when pointing out what I (and others like Sproul, Machaney, White, etc) see as an issue with a few. If it makes you “feel” better – and let’s be clear, I can’t help but see that this is becoming about feelings rather than doctrine – while I believe these few to be misguided and misapplying truth, I am not rejecting their doctrine here.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

That’s on you big boy. You tell me my understanding of the passage (as you have clearly stated it is flawed). While you are at it, tell me my belief of depravity. So bluntly, “put up or shut up” – defend your assessment.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:Sure little lady. Here is my prospective.....your an out and out Fullerist. That in effect is your beliefs.....a duty faith bound belief system. Thats what I see your all about. That stance allows you & your ilk to critique truly serious Calvinists as not seeing the whole bible. Of course you cannot explain it all so you just lump it into one ball of wax & critique people as Hyper Calvinists & to you & your arminian friends, thats Bad, Bad, Bad.

17. preacher4truth

Exactly. His criticism and denigration is justified because he's being 'extreme' according to him. According to reality he's simply sowing discord against a camp of brothers.

He's had two unfounded accusations with no proof within this thread. One is toward all Calvinists in general, and the second being something about what I did or didn't do about John Wesley somewhere on BB. Nothing more than slander and broad brushing on his part and nothing good to say otherwise, accept of course if it is an anti or arm.

18. preacher4truth

Seriously? Where did I go against Wesley? That's right, I didn't and you have no proof having presupposed something into my statements. My points were against Skandelon and his false doctrine, so keep your story and accusations straight.

Now you're assuming. I'm on here speaking the truth and exposing the errors of the brand of arminianism I was addressing.

Now here is the thing, if you believe 'neither should you', change that to 'Jonc shouldn't do this' and leave what I allow in good conscience out of it, and you r false indictment.

In other words judge yourself, don't judge me because you have no clue as to why I do this. OK? See, I don't do this to 'feel' good about it as you assume, just so you know. What that judgment of yours REALLY is is a true reflection of YOUR motives, not mine. See Romans 2:1ff for some evidence of that. :thumbs:

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing...that I know of. I don't know your age, but I suspect you never met the man.

This was your comment:

My point was practice what you preach. I disagreed because I believe one can look at issues independently.

#59 JonC, Dec 26, 2013
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly do not view you as unable to voice your perspective as you have adequately demonstrated to the contrary. :smilewinkgrin: That’s not what I’m asking.

I will help your lapse in omniscience. In context with the entire passage, my understanding of Ephesians 2:8-9 is that as believers, were once dead in our trespasses and sins. Because of God’s love for us, even when we were dead, He made us alive together with Christ. It is by grace we have been saved through faith. This is not of ourselves, but is the gift of God; not a result of works. I hope that clarifies.

Where does my understanding depart from biblical truth? Don’t just say I’m wrong – show me so I can learn from my mistake rather than view your comment as an unfounded accusation.

You, perhaps, but I have not intentionally accused Calvinists in general of anything – if so, please show me where.

#60 JonC, Dec 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.