1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Feminization of Christianity

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this article does a fantastic job of looking at the history of the Gender Gap in churches and gives some compelling reasons for what they think the problem is.
    I as a women think that churches as a whole are too feminine in their approach. That's one reason why I don't go to Women's "Bible Studies" as sitting around talking about how something made me feel is not my idea of a productive study time. I also don't sing "Jesus is my boyfriend" type songs.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL........"Jesus is my Boy Friend!!!" :Laugh

FYI..... my wife also is in the same boat. She cant stand these coffee clutches. If you are not spending serious time understanding the Lord & disciplining, she will have none of it!:Thumbsup

4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wince when we sing those "Jesus is beautiful" songs.

So what's being done to correct it at your church?

For the most part, we've not had this problem at the church I attend, we have about a 50-50 mix.

Part of the reason is history, part is design.

Our campus is on a Revolutionary War site, (small skirmish NE of Philly), we've capitalized on this by having a church sponsored militia that marches and encamps at various events. We're in demand and selectively choose those that allow evangelism.

The church was built on an old farm. Our building, while recently built, looks like a barn and is known around the area as a barn.

We encourage disciple-based ministries - Alcoholics Anonymous and a religiously-oriented dependency group meet during the week.
    We sponsor local community functions - in the last few weeks we had a opioid awareness function that drew people throughout county [LINK] "Bucks County Drug Epidemic Blitz,"

We've hired staff with the express purpose of encouraging young families, using small group functions, modern communication modes, etc,

That and all the old men must have beards (...and a of the few women too ;)).

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I applaud your Church sponsoring AA & Drug Addiction awareness programs.....that takes guts......I would also define your church as both centered & surrendered people.... they know that they are part of a larger history, a larger self. If you want a litmus test for truly centered people, its they are always free to obey reality, to respond to what is. Oh & I also have a beard! :Thumbsup

But back to this Feminine Gentrification of Christian Churches, it is interesting that it is my wife who really turned off by the lack of masculine energy she sees, and the guys she has met in today's churches appear more feminine than masculine men. I gotta be honest, it is her that believes that our time is better spent in cutting down trees, painting the house, tilling the fields. Perhaps because we had a pastor who reached out to the community, (AA Meetings, Addiction awareness meetings, carpentry & lawn-work for those who could no longer do for themselves, feeding the poor, being there for the elderly etc. these were just some of the things this guy did (before he died).

And that's what I mean by masculine energy.....Both action driven and wise.....one that can offer advice & counsel, security & caution. It is also his job to pass on wisdom to the young....especially young men. I do wonder if churches would possibly benefit ( especially young boys) by having male mentors, guides and fathers to bless them and initiate them into manhood.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple. Just never preach on sins like refusing your spouse in the bedroom (1 Corinthians 7:3-5).. Emasculate and disrespect the men in the church by constantly accusing them of "leadership" faults that they never, ever seem to get right, while telling everyone that the wives are waiting to certainly follow "the lead" when the man "mans up". Never tell the wives about their leadership responsibility (1 Peter 3) .Praise all the mothers on mother's day and give it to the men "with both barrels" on father's day. The women will all love you and the men will just stay home, or might as well stay. Just basically don't preach the whole counsel of God, stay conformed to the feminist world, and male attendance will continue to decline.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On some of your points, I would have to agree with you.....pastors mostly do placate women in the congregation, lending to a empowerment attitude.

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will just give you my slant on what I have seen in the past and now... Men basically discuss doctrine and that I believe is what drives them... Anyone can go into the C/A Forum and spend a little time in there and know what I am talking about... I have been on here a long time and that has been my observation... Men want to get into the meat of scripture and will do it tooth and nail... Women on the other hand are not into deep doctrinal discussions as I have seen on here... They are into the nurturing of the scriptures or as my wife says relationship. I'm not saying Men are not but basically that is what I have observed... So there is a balance or should be of Heart and Mind... This has just been my observation and if others see it different that is ok too... this is just my humble opinion... Brother Glen:)

The idea of Jesus as committed companion and loving protector is more appealing to women, they say, while men are looking for a leader — a mighty, conquering king to suffer, rather than cuddle, with... I believe this statement from the article says it all.

#11 tyndale1946, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  12. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going off of what I bolded is this one thing I have observed is the idea that the heart is better than the mind. When I was in high school getting ready to go to Bible College and than during my time at Bible College it was people in the church that were the most critical of me going to Bible College. I got a lot of 'what is the point of that" or "Why would you waste your time studying the Bible in College" There was this under lying assumption that ONLY pastors needed to dive deeply into the Bible and anyone else who did was in grave danger of only having head knowledge but not heart knowledge and that heart knowledge always trumped head knowledge. If I as a women have felt looked down upon for feeding my mind, I can only imagine how it is for guys in the church who aren't called to be a pastor but still want learn more about God through the Bible.

13. SheepWhisperer

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone mentioned things of the "heart". Doctrine (Truth) is a wonderful thing; but the Bible says we are to worship God in "Spirit" as well as Truth. A tenderhearted man is able to "weep" And it's not effeminate for a man to weep in church. There should be more of it but our hearts have become hardened. Nevertheless, there is a big difference between tears of joy and tears of despair but both should have their place in a man's life.

14. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's be honest. The way we view God determines the function of the church. It's neither male nor female in nature. Instead it is our biblical understanding of God's Sovereignty that determines how we seek to worship Him. If we view God as an equal or subordinate then we worship that way. If we have a high view of God and low view of self, then we worship that way.

What is your view of God? It will tell me how you worship Him.

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and as I was telling my wife at the breakfast table this morning I have no idea what it is to be like a Woman as she has no idea what it is to be like a Man... There are so many parallels in scripture and the one I particularly like is Christ is the Bridegroom and we are the Bride... Brother Glen:)

16. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Definitely I have a high view of God and a low view of self... I believe in Sovereign Grace and wonder at times why would God save such a worthless one as I?... Then I read in scripture that he loved with an everlasting love... He embraces us in his Mercy and Grace forever and none shall perish... When I try to wrap my heart, mind and soul around that it leaves me speechless... That is my GOD, MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SheepWhisperer

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that question was directed to me, this would be part of my view.....
    Psalm 24
    {A Psalm of David.} The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.

2For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.

3Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?

4He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.

5He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

6This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob. Selah.

7Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.

8Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.

9Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.

10Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.

He is the mighty and powerful Voice of Psalm 29, the Good Shepherd of Psalm 23, The One who inhabiteth eternity, the high and lofty One. He is all powerful, all knowing, all encompassing and his ways and attributes are more to be desired that much fine gold and sweeter than the honeycomb.....Psalm 19:10

I could be wrong but I think the main question of this thread is in who, or what spirit, controls a church. If it is female-dominated, it is not biblical in practice.

18. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Deborah was a judge. Hulda was a prophetess. Phillips daughters prohesied in the church. Phoebe helped lead the church as a deaconness.
    I think the whole of scripture points toward women having leadership roles alongside men. I believe the idea of "feminization" is really about some men being prideful and unwilling to have women in leadership positions. I am fine with women being in pastoral positions. God gives gifts of teaching and preaching to women as equally as he gives them to men. Men need to be comfortable in their relationship with God and others rather than being afraid of women having leadership roles.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where I live anyway dear sister, it is awful. Pastors don't generally even teach Sunday School and much to much they allow other's (mostly unbiblically qualified) to do sermons & in the process they muck up the message. As an example, recently I visited this "New Community Church" in my neighborhood & a guy (not the Pastor) gets up on the pulpit to deliver the sermon. His topic was from Ephesians 2:1-10, In short the guy rambled & never once discussed making us alive in Christ by God's Grace....Never emphasizing saving grace or its attributes. Really it was staggering to me & left me convinced that this is the "dumbing down" of the Word. Even more staggering was that nobody either caught it or cared. I thought, wow what a magnificent move by The Devil to take professing churches out----by 'Ignorance!'

Seriously, both you & Brother Glen may have just hit on something profound that I did not consider....something that is most likely killing churches in my area.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then how do you deal with 1 Timothy 2:11-15 ?

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.