1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ReformedBaptist, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

AS I recall, I clement is not considered gnostic in any way shape or form - ie Dan Brown was not referencing any of his stuff. I also seem to recall that the book of I clement almost made it into the cannon but the phoenix reference did it in. clements refrencing almost every other NT writing were/are proof to the authenticity of those books when the NT cannon was put together. It has been awhile since I read my early church history.

Clement also predated the Popes - although he was recognized as a leader of the early church. the doctrine of infallibility came MUCH later

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I don't think anyone claimed that Clements letter was gnostic. I was however asking questions to see where a person is coming from. Some people automatically toss out the ECF. I was wondering if this was so. some people believe that the RCC has been plotting since the begining. I was trying to flush this out.

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Tossing out the ECF is ridiculous. Why would we do that? Do they also toss out every book written by a Christian other than God-breathed Scripture? I don't understand that reasoning.

If there is someone tossing the ECFs out, I would like to know why.

I am not sure where the idea would come from that the RCC has been "plotting" from the beginning. Sounds as bit conspiratorial to me and superstitious. Was there not a true Church at Rome? Of course there was. Then where did this papacy come from? This thing, the papacy, was introduced into the church from within the church, till it usurped Christ in His Church. This Antichrist stands in the Temple of God.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I enjoy reading the ECF tremendously. Here are some satements I've received from members here. Not exact quotes but meanings are right.

" I don't like the ECF because they weren't saved. They were obviously pushing their own agenda pushing heresies onto the true churches (churches are meant to be pluralistic here.)"

"the true churches grew along side the real churches which if you follow the pamphlet "trail of blood" you can see how the heretical church persecutes the real churches."

"Constantine started the RCC and he is a pagan that forced his paganism into the chruches"

Etc.....

There are more like the early church was sola scriptura! I like to know how. Or that the LXX didn't contain any of the apocryphal books until 400 ad and the earliest apocryphal book was writen in AD 137. On and on and on and on and on and on.

I thought I get some real history but no. None of that confuse us with the facts stuff.

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

People make comments like that because they lack the information or because the information presented them makes them uncomfortable. I can understand that. However, we have nothing to fear from the truth.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No nothing at all. Though you may ruffle a few feathers.

7. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

This is the first time I've heard of him.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You wouldn't have unless you started studying church history. Church history is a fastinating topic. But before the NT was settled as to which books would be included in canon there were many christian writings passed around the churches. As you can guess an apostles writings were immediately included if they could verify it. However, other documents were also copied and valued like the letter of Clement, or the letters of Ignatius, or Polycarp etc... There were many christian writings like these and we have some of the copies of them. Many like to review them to see how the early church actually operated rather than include too much speculation.