1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "FIRST resurrection" - THE Focus of the NT saints?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 8, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In 1Thess 4 Paul tells us to focus on certain end-time facts regarding the "DEAD in Christ" who are "raised FIRST" so that we DO have hope and are NOT like "those who have NO hope".

Peter tells us to "Fix our hope COMPLETELY" on that future event.

John tells us Christ has gone away but "Will come AGAIN to RECEIVE us unto Himself in order that WHERE He is THERE we will be ALSO".

And in Rev 20 John goes into detail telling us about the "FIRST resurrection" for those over whom "The SECOND DEATH has NO power" -- the "blessed and holy ones".

The question is -- why is THE focus of the NT saints as described in scripture - so confusing to Christians today?

The Dead in Christ rise FIRST.

The FIRST resurrection is that of the "Blessed and holy" over whom "the second death has no power".

This could not be any more obvious friends.

What say you?

in Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To get the ball rolling I am adding a post on this subject that was submitted by Eliyahu --

#2 BobRyan, Jun 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Rev 20 Satan is thrown alive into the lake of fire at the END of the 1000 yearsl.

In Rev 20 the "Second DEATH" is the lake of fire event at the END of the 1000 years.

In Rev 20 the ONLY ONES who are raised and NOT subject to the SECOND death lake of fire are those who are raised BEFORE the 1000 years is ended - those raised in the "FIRST resurrection". They alone are listed as the "blessed and holy".

in 1Thess 4 they are called the "DEAD in CHRIST" and they are "raised FIRST".

Since we know that 1Thess 4 is the rapture event and in Rev 19-20 we have the second coming - it is clear that we are taken to heaven in the rapture AT the second coming just as Matt 24 describes it! That is why this is THE FOCUS of the NT church !!

1Peter 1
    6 In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials,
    7 so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and
    glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
    8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
    9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.

10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries,
    11 seeking to know what
    person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.[/b]

12 It was [b]revealed to them that they were not serving themselves, but you[/b], in these
    things which now have been announced to you through those who preached the gospel to you[/b] by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven things into which angels long to look.

13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, [b
    ]fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.[/b]

In Christ,

Bob

#3 BobRyan, Jun 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible teaches us that the body parts “return to the dust” by “contrast” to the “PERSON” that rises again. The body parts “decay and return to the dust” whereas the “person” is the one who has “fallen asleep” according to Paul.

“Those who (persons) are asleep” are the saints “the Dead in Christ” – by contrast “their body parts” simply decay and return to dust.

1Thess 4
    13 But we do not want you to be
    uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.

Paul points out the “solution” for those who might otherwise grieve “as those who have no hope” when they encounter the death of a loved one.
    Paul states that the key is “being infomed about those who ARE asleep”.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who(persons)
    have fallen asleep in Jesus.

God will “bring with him those who (persons) have fallen asleep

Is Christ “bringing dead bodies with him”??? some claim that this is the case for “those who sleep” for they claim this is only a reference to “dead bodies”.

But we know this is not true! We know that bodies “return to DUST” in decay – they do not “sleep” in death.

It is the PERSON who is “asleep in death”. They are referred to as “THOSE WHO are asleep

Paul shows us that the difference between those who grieve having no hope -- and those who do not, is in understanding the truth regarding those "who ARE asleep".

Paul has the entire NT church focused on this 1Thess 4 resurrection event as "THE hope" and "the focus" of the church "in hope".

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As we see Paul focus the entire "hope" of the NT church on the resurrection event of 1Thess 4 - which is the 2nd coming and resurrection of the saints.

In the same way we saw Peter focus the entire "hope" of the NT church on the "grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ"

Paul is fully focused himself on that same future resurrection event --

The "dead in Christ rise FIRST" 1thess 4

The FIRST resurrection is that one that occurs at the start of the 1000 year (Rev 20:4-5)

And so Paul is focused on that single event

Phil 3
    10 [b]that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings[/b], being conformed to His death;
    11 [b]
    in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.[/b]

12 Not that I have [b]already obtained[/b] it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of[/b] by Christ Jesus.
    13 Brethren, [b]I do not regard myself
    as having laid hold of it yet[/b]; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
    14 I [b
    ]press on toward the goal for the prize
    of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YOu better analyze who are participating in the first resurrection precisely, mentioned in v 4.

7. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should keep in mind that the Beast and the Idol worshippers will be thrown into the Lake of Fire already in 19:20.
    These Idol worshippers were on the earth at the time when Jesus comes. These are earlier than that of 20:12-13.
    That means the partial resurrection is inevitable.
    Satan will be thrown into the bottomless pit. 20:1

#7 Eliyahu, Jun 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All those wicked who are ALIVE at the Rev 19 second coming of Christ (those upon whom the birds are feasting in Rev 19) die "the first death" and all those wicked raised to life "after the 1000 years are complete" are to suffer the "second death".

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Heb 11 descrives the saints of the OT the same way.

They are all called "the dead in Christ" because all of them died in faith regarding the Messiah (Christ - Greek for the Hebrew word Messiah).

1 Cor 10 states that they were all baptized inot Christ - and that the Rock was Christ.

1 Corinthians 10

1 For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea;
    2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
    3 and all ate the same spiritual food;
    4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock (Petra) which followed them; and the rock (Petra) was Christ.[/b]

10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    19:20 - thrown into the Lake of Fire
    I don't think they will be resurrected again because Lake of Fire is the final destination after the Judgment, but I don't rule it out ( maybe little possibility)

19:21 - eaten by birds - yes, these will be resurrected for the Judgment

The distinction in the Judgment is very much fine and delicate, the Judgment is not Rambo style drive and shooting, or lump sum grouping.

The people who worship the idols and persecute the True Christian Believers are exceptionally wicked,and they are always mentioned as a special group to be punished. They would be judged every day already in therir lives as we read John 3:18- .
    This is why they are thrown into the Lake of Fire immediately, and they include the ANTI-CHRIST.

20:15 implies the people found in the Book of Life can be resurrected for eternal life. If the people whose names are recorded in the Book of Life are not there at all, then there would be no need for the Book to be opened. v 12 says the same. The born again Christians will be judged according to their works.
    I believe this is the second resurrection.

As for 1 Thess 4:15, "The Alive shall not precede the Asleep" doesn't mean that all the Dead will precede the Alive. The partial resurrection of the 144,000 and the Martyrs will precede the Alive.
    This coincides with 1 Cor 15:23-24, 26.

We must recgonize one important rule: there is a better resurrection and a worse resurrection ( Heb 11:35).

Participation in the New Millennium is a great, great privilege and it is not offered to all Christian believers, but to only several groups as we read 20:4-
    1) Special Saints - governing body of the New Millennium
    This may include the 144,000 ( or plus 2 witnesses who are the core part of Believers but raptured in the Tribulation - 11:11-13)
    2) Martyrs
    3) The True Believers who struggled against the Beast and the False Prophet, against the Great Harlot of Babylon on the seven hills, but survived the Great Tribulation

The rest of the Believers will not be resurrected until the 1000 years are finished ( 20:5)

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't distinguish between OT believers and NT believers by their nature at all.

They were saved on Credit that Jesus would pay for their sins all, provided that they believed in the shadow of Chrst.( Rock, Tabernacle, all the sacrifices, altar, Brazen Serpent, Passover etc were the shadows of Jesus Christ)

NT believers after Cross are saved on Prepaid condition that Jesus paid everything Once For All, at the Cross.

The Believers at the time while Jesus was on the earth were saved Cash Payment or Cash On Delivery ( by seeing and believing in Him right away)

Am I clear?

Even Revelation talks about Israelites a lot, like 12 gates and 12 stars etc, so it surely include OT believers.

Good job to confirm the Petra which is feminine while Petro is the masculine, actually Petra came from Tsur in Hebrew, the Rock of Salvation in Deut 32:15-18 which was the Pre-Incarnate Jesus Christ.

#11 Eliyahu, Jun 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason why I say the people in the Lake of Fire don't come out for the Judgment:

Rev 19:
    19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Rev 20:
    10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

In other words, even the Devil will join the Beast and the False prophet in the Lake of Fire, who were already there ( since 19:20)

Doesn't it make sense?

#12 Eliyahu, Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "beast" is not a person nor is the "false prophet" they are institutions destroyed at the 2nd coming. THE PEOPLE we see raised before and after the 1000 years are "PEOPLE" the devil is the devil -- but as we saw in Dan 7-8 the BEASTS represent nations and religious systems.

"Better doctrine through more Bible reading" -

in Christ,

Bob

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

Quoting you, "in Rev 20 John goes into detail..."

I cannot accept your method of associating Scriptures that do not talk of the same things with one another.

In Rv20 John in exact words defines what he meant with the 'first resurrection'. It was not a resurrection of the flesh in the flesh, but of the spiritual creation of regeneration, clearly. If one receive this 'resurrection' in this life through faith, no future judgment can change one's status in Christ; no 'second death' or death of hell has power over him, because Christ has redeemed him from the death of sin already.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "The Dead in Christ rise FIRST ..."

This is not what you want to tell us, that before the (alleged) thousand years the righteous are raised, than after it, comes the resurrection of the ungodly only!
    "The Dead in Christ rise FIRST ..." in juxtaposition with Jesus' return (second coming) and the resurrection of the righteous dead. "The Dead in Christ rise FIRST ..." then "we" the living saved, at His coming together with the raised righteous dead, go meet him as He comes in the air while raising all the dead at once - the righteous to eternal life; the ungodly to eternal damnation.
    I've never seen these Scriptures so garbled as by you.

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

'Before and after the 1000 years' is before and after the present Christian era of which 'the thousande years' is, a, symbolical representation like the many others used by John for it.

17. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

......the SDA does not believe in hellfire or indeed a triune God.....their beliefs on Jesus Christ are very distorted also, I do not think there is a belief in that mankind has a soul...it is all very strange

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the institution?
    Are you talking about the buildings? NOPE!
    Are you talking about the Legal Entity? Then it's invisible, right? NOPE!

They are actual person, and they are ANTI-CHRIST and World President.

False Prophet is the religious person, the other Beast is the political person who have the power to persecute the Believers.
    The World religion will be united and the only True Christian believers will be isolated. In that process many cults will be persecuted and killed too. So, the fact that any people are persecuted by the Anti-Christ and the Beast doesn't guarantee that they are the True believers.
    However, the True Christian believers will be protected by God as we read the other chapters.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I gotta admit that sounds pretty wild to me too!

Where did you "dig that dirt up"?

Do you have any actual facts to go with it?

(Aside from the one actual fact you DID mention "it is all very strange"

in Christ,

Bob

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First class story telling sir.

in Christ,

Bob