1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The First Sentence in the Book of Hebrews

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Dec 7, 2022.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your point. Please understand mine.

You are applying a modern way of preaching to a first century document. It might flow just fine as a modern sermon. That is not evidence it was used, intact, as a first century sermon.

I have already acknowledged elements of Hebrews were likely part of separate Apostolic teachings.

The letter is identified by the author as being a letter. Beyond that, no need to speculate.

Hebrews is a powerful testimony of the superiority of Jesus Christ and the new covenant to the OT Law and the Mosaic covenant that was but a shadow of things to come. I’m certain we agree on that.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am not. Compare Hebrews to Peter and Paul's recorded sermons. See the structure and the intended audience and decide for yourself. I think the argument has merit. It's not something one would ever break fellowship over, but I see the merit in Hebrews being a recorded sermon.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, we disagree. Thanks for the conversation

peace to you