1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Five Most Dangerous Assumptions in Preaching

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by gb93433, Jun 21, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I may, I'd like to add two more:

1. Don't talk down to your congregation. They're smarter than you think they are. Go ahead and use big words once in a while.

2. Pretty much the opposite of #1: don't preach like you're talking to a bunch of seminary professors. Not only will they not get it, but it's boring and the only response you'll get is a sea of glassy eyed people waiting for you to finish so they can beat the Methodists to the Cracker Barrel.

A lot of guys swing to one extreme or the other (usually toward the first one).

3. Bro K

Bro K New Member

Sounds like good advice for some here on the BB.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I preach the message until it is done. Sometimes 20 minutes other times longer. I never say more than I have to or less. But the message is not going to be dictated by folks unwillingness to sit any longer. I will depend on the Holy Ghost for the entire message and let him worry about those who do not want to hear it.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think another assumption is that my preaching will change lives, when it is the Word of God that will change lives if we will just give it opportunity. That's been a tough one for me to learn.