1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Five People You Meet in Heaven. ABC Dec. 5th

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Nov 25, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven
    Sunday, December 5 at 8/7c

Starring Jon Voight, Steven Grayhm, Callahan Brebner, Dagmara Dominczyk, Michael Imperioli, Jeff Daniels, Matthew Viser, Ellen Burstyn, Allie Mickelson, Nicaela Weigel, Shelbie Weigel, Callum Keith Rennie, Rebecca Jenkins, Damon Johnson and Darcy Cadman.

In Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet In Heaven," a Hallmark Entertainment production, Eddie (played by Jon Voight as an old man and Steven Grayham in his more youthful incarnation) is a lonely war veteran and widower who feels like his life as a repairman at the Ruby Pier Amusement Park has been meaningless. On his 83rd birthday, an accident on one of the rides imperils a five-year-old girl, and Eddie risks his own safety in front of a horrified crowd as he attempts to save her life. The last thing he sees is the little girl's frightened face. The last thing he feels is two small hands in his. Then, after a blinding flash of light and silence, Eddie reawakens in an unfamiliar place called Heaven… but he's not alone. Five people -- each of whom shares with him a fateful and significant connection -- have been waiting to meet him.

Some are loved ones, some are distant strangers, yet they all have the same goal -- to introduce Eddie to the true meaning and value of his life by showing him how their lives and deaths have been a part of his own in ways he never suspected. Each of these souls is looking for closure, each has a story to relate, a secret to divulge and a lesson to impart -- the Blue Man (Jeff Daniels), the Captain (Michael Imperioli), Ruby (Ellen Burstyn), Marguerite (Dagmara Dominczyk) and Tala (Nicaela Weigel and Shelbie Weigel). One by one, they illuminate the impact that Eddie has had on others and show him why his life on Earth was not insignificant. When he meets his fifth person in Heaven, Eddie, still haunted by the question of whether the little girl lived or died, finally begins to understand how truly interconnected we all are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dr. Bob read this last month and shared how touched he was by the book. I can't wait to see this!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is really BAD theology, but a beautiful book. Very well done fiction. I cried a number of time and you know what a touch character I am!

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Looks like it's one of those 'make you think' type stories and I love 'em! I'm so glad you mentioned it earlier because I'd probably have not even given it a second look thinking it was a liberal's thoughts on who is good and who is not.

You're like my Jim, Dr. Bob... tough on the outside but a heart of gold. [​IMG]

4. mioque

mioque New Member

"his life as a repairman at the Ruby Pier Amusement Park has been meaningless. On his 83rd birthday, an accident on one of the rides"
    "
    He is still working as a repairman at age 83? :eek:
    I'd say something has gone wrong with his pensionplan. [​IMG]

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Doesn't this book give false security to those who don't believe in Christ and think they will go to heaven? I am so surprised that Christians would like this book!!!

It is more fodder for the deception and false beliefs of the unsaved. Anything that promotes a view that anyone can go to heaven bothers me.

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I agree with you ~Marcia!
    No offence to those who enjoy this movie (an its is only a movie), but I was thinking as I read this thread what about the #1 person he should be seeing as soon as he got there? :eek:

Music4Him

7. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

This isnt the Netherlands. Unless you work for the government you are responsible for saving up for your own retirement. Otherwise work till you drop.

8. mioque

mioque New Member

As I said, something has gone wrong with his pensionplan.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well you guys pick some of the strangest things to fight over! Where were you when someone said 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' has a lot of Christian principals in it???

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

11. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like "It's A Wonderful Life" without the Christmas connection.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I thought the same think Debby. I'm sure it'll be an eye opener even if it's not right on theology wise. Might get some to thinking about their life.

I've not read the book but Dr. Bob said it was really a good read.

13. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I'm not fighting.... [​IMG] .....just agreed with Marcia. [​IMG]

BTW, Alot of movies.... if you watch them with a Christian mind set will either have Christian principals or you'll change the channel. ;) :eek: [​IMG]

BTW, has anyone started a thread on the worst tv series?

((((Hugs)))))
    Music4Him

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We were talking about that the other day but I don't remember the thread.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess IF is the right word, some are so used to watching stuff with nothing christian they have a hard time with anything else.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

My main concern is that this kind of book only reassures people who don't think they need Christ and/or believe if we are good enough, we get into heaven.

This book was written by the same guy who wrote a chronicle of a dying man who was not a believer, yet wrote in there how this man was looking forward to the afterlife (_Tuesdays with Morrie_ or something like that).

These views are very popular and when a bestseller only reinforces these views that give false security to people, I don't see how this does not bother believers. After all, the book is talking about heaven and the afterlife -- it's not just some nice story. It's bringing in a theological belief (heaven) and going against what God says about it.

17. Lori

Lori New Member

Well I'll own up to it...and just hope that I don't get blasted...

I do think all our lives are interconnected in ways we just don't often think of.

Hmm sounds maybe like an interesting book. Oh btw thanks for posting a synopsis on what the movie will be about since I really didn't get it from the commercials they showed.

azwyld can be a bit dense at times. lol =o)

azwyld
    <*}}}><

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I agree with you 100% I highly recommend the book. It will leave many with a tear.

BTW - I'm not overly concerned with the theology aspect. I don't get my theology from fiction. "Bruce Almighty" and "Oh God" were bad theology as well, but excellent movies for believers and nonbelievers alike.

19. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

"Bruce Almighty" is an excellent movie??

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes.