1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The flimsy foundation of ME

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Psalm 139

Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

Exactly where is the problem?

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

A saved person can live however he wants. He's capable of it.

But, he may not. He does not have permission to do so.

Works don't play into whether or not you're born from above into the family of God, whether to get that way, stay that way, or to prove that you're in the family. Once you're born into the family, your spiritual DNA cannot be changed. That's secure.

But, we are accountable for our actions.

Do you believe in security? Do you believe in accountability?

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That would be why it's the Judgment Seat of Christ, eh?

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Can we say that ME is simply a 'shorthand' for "millennial exclusion", without assuming one is saying something "derogatory" or is even necessarily "an opponent" of the teaching? I have used the initials, but I do not recall 'dealing in emotionalism' when I used the initials, at all. Nor have I even actually voiced my position on the issue, but have given a couple of information bits, only. I do not consider myself one of these to whom you are referring, merely because I have used these 'shorthand' initials.

As always, I claim to speak for none other than myself.

Ed

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

1. You make a lot of lists.

2. "Ought" and "will" are two different things. We have stated repeatedly said that we ought to do these things, just as you have here. Yet we are called legalists for saying we ought to do these things.

3. This is also something that we have said repeatedly.

4. You make a lot of lists.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Good post!:wavey:

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I believe in eternal security because those whom the Lord predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified (Rom 8:30).

2. And I believe in accountability because God is glorified when we bear mcuh fruit (John 15:8).

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

What could be more derogatory than the doctrine itself, regardless of what you call it? The term "kingdom salvation" speaks of another salvation by works, which is anathema. How much more derogatory can you get than "cursed"?

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's why there are seemingly contradictory passages.

One says that salvation is apart from works, while another says it's contingent upon them.

One place tells us that he justifies us once and for all, and many others tell us to cause ourselves to be justified.

The Bride of Christ is told to clothe herself in white linen, and linen is the righteous acts of the saints. (Linen is also of the earth and is obtained through much labor.)

One place tells us that salvation is secure the moment we believe, others tell us that we need to make our salvation secure.

These passages have to be contradictory, or referring to diferent things. If they're contradictory, the Bible is worthless.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Do you believe in salvational security?

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. We may use some of the same terms, but where they eventually lead is what is under consideration.

2. Once called upon to defend orthodoxy, I will from my understanding of Scripture.

#71 TCGreek, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
  12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, I like Wikipedia, but let's see what God has to say about it, shall we?

Colossians 3:24: Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

It's recompense. It's given back in return.

It's what you've earned.

Do we earn being born from above?

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, besides disagreeing on "called" and "called out", we're in agreement so far. (And agreement on those terms is not important in this discussion.)

So, what if a person is saved, and he chooses to misbehave? What if he simply chooses not to do the works that would bear good fruit?

What does that mean? Is he accountable or is he unsaved?

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. The Elect of God will be in glory, not worrying about a layover in outerdarkness.

2. Those He justified, He glorified. While experience teaches us that some believers are more fruitful than others, Scripture also teaches us that to those Christ have given eternal life, they will never perish and no one will snatch them out of His Hands (John 10:28). There would be no layover on the way to glory.

#74 TCGreek, Aug 11, 2007
  15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Amen.

It's a done deal. No "you MAY appear with Him in glory if you've been a good boy, otherwise burn in hell for 1,000 years".

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Col 3:3, 4 is one of my favorite places of Scripture to camp out.

2. To all these Christians who were undoubtedly at different levels in their spiritual growth, Paul offers the identical hope, "When Christ who is our life appears, we shall appear with him in glory." There's no layover in this amazing passage of Scripture.

3. We ought to muse over it for days.

17. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Amen! The very concept is outrageous. That blood washed, born again, forgiven, sanctified, complete in Christ, Spirit indwelt, eternally secure and every thing else that we have in God's GREAT salvation will spend any time in hell at all is preposterous!

#77 jne1611, Aug 11, 2007
  18. jne1611

jne1611 Member

No, why not instead, tell them their going to hell for 1000 years! That sounds like a plan. I have not seen any of these people try to say that works will get you to heaven. They are trying to get it a cross that hell is not a correctional facility for the saints! Hell is a place reserved for the Devil and his angels. All sinners who die outside the grace of God go to hell. The Second Death has no power over blood washed saints. Hell has no claim on them. The blood is more powerful than that.

19. jne1611

jne1611 Member

Are you forgetting the part, "the fire shall try every mans work"? Shall we all go to hell?

20. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Psalms 139:7-8
    7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
    8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.