1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ford Family

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Baptist in Richmond, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I was just watching the halftime show for the Rose Bowl, and they had a quick update from ABC News. During this, the newscaster noted that President Ford's son and daughter greeted people as they came to pay their respects.

Regardless of your political affiliation, you have to admit that this really shows class.

I am curious - is anyone going to make the trip to DC to see the funeral? I am seriously thinking about it, as I am only an hour and a half away from the District.

Regards,
    BiR

2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I was really touched when I had heard that members of the Ford family were making personal contact with public, quite a noble and unselfish act on their part to share these moments with common everyday citizens.
    By all means I do hope you do go to D.C. to see the funeral.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I saw this as well and was quite impressed.

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Of course, I stayed up too late watching the Fiesta Bowl go into overtime, and overslept - so I won't be going.

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Regards to all of you,
    BiR

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

As one commentator said, you could sum up President Ford best by the word "decent." ​

We lost that, about three or four presidents ago... and I miss it.​

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I live on the edge of DC (Silver Spring, MD) but did not go downtown. One could get into the cathedral only by ticket, and there is not much attraction for me about standing on a curb somewhere to look at cars whose tinted windows prevent you even from seeing who is inside. I watched the service on TV. As always, the cathedral music is wonderful, and the military musical units never disappoint. Denyce Graves is one of my very favorite singers. No contemporary music can touch my soul like, "For All the Saints" or "Eternal Father, Strong to Save".

As for the Ford family, one of the sons -- Michael -- is ordained as an Episcopal priest, but he serves in the administration of a Baptist university, Wake Forest. Website says, "Director of Student Services."

I agree that it was classy for them to spend time in the rotunda greeting the public. I also felt their close concern for their mother during what has had to be a very tiring ordeal .. not only the illness and death of her husband, but these multiple ceremonies.

Back to the service -- I was glad that the family's pastor, the rector of St. Margaret's in California, was asked to lead the service rather than the bishop or the cathedral dean, though both of them participated. I thought his sermon was weak, however, although it was clearcut about the importance of a commitment to Christ, not "religion-in-general".

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

It was an excellant service, though I didn't watch it all. Very dignified and also definately Christian in nature. Much more overtly Christian than the funerals of most public figures. (think James Brown by comparison. :eek: )