1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Formation of the Christian Biblical Canon Revised Ed. by Lee McDonald

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by mcdirector, Dec 17, 2006.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Has anyone read this book. It's a recent purchase and even more recently back from the bindery. Hendrickson is the publisher. Helmut Koester wrote the foreword.

I had a patron bring it back today asking that someone read chapters 9 & 10 and I just don't have time right now, so I've pulled it until I do, but thought I'd check with my learned friends here for your input.

Thanks in advance.
    Bitsy, the Media Center Director who does NOT have time to read every book that goes on the shelf at Calvary

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From a review at CBD: “A major conclusion of the author is there was not an agreement in the Church about the canon, and therefore the question arises of whether the canon should be thought of as closed. He emphasizes differences in canon tradition, but downplays the similarities. He takes into consideration the gnostic tradition, as if they were not a corruption of Christianity. Furthermore, he does not believe the orthodox claim that God Himself guided the closure of the canon -- since Jesus promised He would guide the Church through the Holy Spirit. I would not recommend this book.”

Here is an article of his:
    The Integrity of the Biblical Canon in Light of Its Historical Development
    (presented to the Fellows of the Institute for Biblical Research on November 19, 1994 in Chicago) by Lee Martin McDonald
    First Baptist Church of Alhambra, California

Endnote:
    I’ve not read the book but the endnote of his paper intrigues me.
    It you don’t want it PM me.

Rob

Addem: the reviews at Amazon are even more revealing!!!

#2 Deacon, Dec 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2006
  3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, Rob, I bought it because of the Review at CBD -- which is were I buy most of my books. No PMs -- you can't have it! :D I just don't have the time to read it right now. It looks VERY good. I just unpacked a dozen more today on the canon! I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to have so many good books at my finger tips and so much algebra to deal with!

Preacher boy is home. Maybe he'd be interested in perusing it when he's not working for dad over the holidays. :tongue3:

That is an interesting quote you found. I had not thought of the difference between a historian and theologeon. In my mind they would be the same. BUT perhaps an historian would not think so. I am becoming more and more frustrated at the lack of study time.

I hope to read that paper before the week is over. Thanks so much for posting it.